• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My First Deuce :D

jolis32

Hey all, just picked up a 1971 m35a2 in early July! I thought I'd introduce myself to the legendary forum of steelsoldiers.com :cool:

20150805_151526.jpg20150805_151514.jpg20150805_181056_Richtone(HDR).jpg
The gentleman who had it before me lived about 20 miles away, he passed away and his family had been trying to sell it for a while apparently. They ended up selling it before I even knew it was for sale to Eastern Surplus in Philadelphia. I found the truck listed on their website and went down to check their whole lot out. I felt comfortable knowing they check everything over before selling their vehicles, so i was willing to pay a little more for it than what the family was probably asking for.
I got the truck insured and PA tagged as an antique vehicle, it ended up costing 70 bucks a year :driver:

I've done a bit of work on the truck, the generic new vehicle stuff like changing the oil, all the filters, transmission fluid, and a few hoses... While I had all the filter housings off i cleaned em up and painted them. Luckily this deuce seems to be in pretty sound condition mechanically. I just got the parts to add a brake fluid reservoir which I'll install this week. Eastern Surplus had gone over the brake lines and wheel cylinders, but the truck already appeared to have a new master cylinder and airpack :)

A few things that need attention:
-The wiper control valve is a bit temperamental, it looks like it's a generic commercial valve that somebody rigged up. It's plastic...
-Speedo cable is wonky, I need to lube it or replace it
-Fuel gauge is wonky as well... I'm guessing the float system is grimy and might just need some contacts cleaned

Thank you guys for all the info and tips I've already used, I'll be perusing the forums for my next tasks as well :D

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Welcome to the Green Iron Laughing Academy.:cookoo:

-Fuel gauge is wonky as well... I'm guessing the float system is grimy and might just need some contacts cleaned
The only thing that lies more consistently than a career politician is a military vehicle fuel gauge.

Get yourself a paint stirring stick and use it to dip the tank with. When it gets below a quarter of a tank find a fuel stop.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks