• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My first Deuce recovered from Ft. Meade

Chow717

A week behind on posting this but I was able to p/u my first duece from Ft. Meade early last week. I took with me the recommended tools, belts, filters and supplies even though I was aware that it starts and runs. I was planning on driving it home to PA. Upon introduction to Sarah ( who is great!) I was notified that while she was getting it out from behind another row of trucks it would not stop... no brakes! Ok, I knew that it had a new airpack on it so I was guessing it was a matter of brake fluid, or lack of. Followed Sarah up to the truck with my father-in-law (co-pilot). Checked all the fluids which looked good except for a dry master cylinder. Went to get the DOT5 out of my truck and it wasn’t there. In the excitement to leave I must have overlooked the (2)qts sitting in the garage. So, go back down to turn in our badges and head out to find fluid. Could not find enough DOT5 at the auto parts store I found so picked up a gallon of the DOT3. Back to the base to wait over an hour on Sarah who was helping out a customer. Finally got our badges and head up to work on the truck. Filled and bled, trying to catch as much as possible. We were not able to get a firm peddle but am hoping it is just a needed brake shoe adjustment. Truck fired right up within a second of cranking. Got in to head out after turning in my badges with minutes to spare. Filled up at the nearest fuel station and headed home. Truck ran great @ 45 – 50 mph the whole way home. Stopped once for food and a quick check about 1-1/2 hours into the trip. Made it home safely without any problems 3 hrs later. Lots of new parts, fresh ’06 CARC, new tires / rims on the front, tool box full of goodies (snatch block / chain, op manual, tools, flairs, 8t jack…) Only had time this weekend to change the engine oil but haven't had a chance to look into the brakes yet or to run a lot of DOT3 through the system to flush out any remaining DOT5. That's next on the agenda, right after I build the bleeder mentioned elsewhere on this site. I should ask: Do I go back to the DOT5 or continue with my DOT3 plans?

Have to say a big Thanks to the members who helped me out with a preview and experienced insight. This is a great site!

Attachments

wsucougarx

Nice truck, very nice. I get excited everytime I see someone with a good looking rid. Makes me want to have another one or at least have that first truck excitement again

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good and glad you made it home. As far as brake fluid it's 6 in one hand and a half dozen in the other. You're call. I prefer DOT5 as I can keep it in my bleeder without worrying about it absorbing moisture. DOT3 is cheaper, more plentilful and some like the feel of it better.Some of the greatest deuce minds on this site don't agree on this one so have it your way.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks