• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My first Deuce

JTugwell

Hey everybody. Well i finally did it. I got up with James on here, drove up to Birmingham, AL, and picked her up. Got up at 5 in the morning, and headed up there from Pensacola, FL. After the engine lost power I though we had a problem. James advised me to change the primary fuel filter. Changed it out in the rain with a filter from NAPA, and she ran like a top the whole 8 hrs back home. I not 100% sure, but I may be one of two owners of a deuce in this town. Its great to ride around with the top off, and watch everybody break their necks. I do have a few questions. I couldnt find them on a search, but I may have not been searching correctly. The brake light switch went out. I have the old style. I went ahead and got some 3/8 brass fittings, and converted it to the air switch. Brake lights work fine now. My question is the old switch. I left it in there for the time being. What type of plug should i use to cap this thing off. I know there is a lot of pressure on the brakes, and didnt want to just throw a brass plug in there. Any advise. The size plug i would need would also be helpful. Other than that Im looking foward to attending some rides with all of you. Im gonna test out the 6 x 6 this weekend on a tree stump at a friends property. Here are some pictures her. Talk to yall later.

Attachments

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats!! Welcome aboard!! Hope you enjoy the AWESOME machine you now own! LOTS of info and stuff here on S.S.! Thanks for the pics! :wink:

m109guy

Congrats on the truck!

Ummm is that Gauge panel common?? i think thats the first time i've seen that type... :|
Looks like a converted gasser. From what I have read, a lot of gassers converted to multi-fuel engines had the instrument panel modified. Also the front end looks a little odd, as there is a different grill and it looks like there is space for another light or something under the right (passenger side) headlight. Might be wrong though.

jrou111

Justin, I hope you enjoy the truck. Looks like you figured out how to get the top off. Did you fold the windshield down yet?

We'll be having a mini-rally up at Wreckerman's near Gadsden hopefully soon, Clinto's rally in N. GA in the fall, and there is a very good MV show at Tannehill state park down the road from my house. You're welcome to use my house as a base of operations for repair, etc. too.

WOW...You need to put some miles on that thing.
When I bought the truck it had 350 miles and 72 hours on the gauges. :cool:

Rolling_Eudaimonia

Nice Truck... Now all you need to do is film or photograph it off-road so we can all share in your triumphs and failures in the face of nature's most gruelling obstacles. Check out my video on mudding here:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6WvJWwTXSU[/media]

Here is some of the fun you can have with yours... Remember only do stuff like this on your property or some other safe place.

JTugwell

thanks everybody. yeah im working on getting some miles on it. we took it out yesterday, and pulled a tree stump out with it. we got it out but i ran into a problem. when i got out of the truck after snatching, and wheel hopping both rear axles were turned opposite directions:cry: looked under the truck and the links that hold the axles straight have slid off the bushings mounted to the axles. after a couple of hours of re-aligning the axles with a tow strap and another truck i got it all put back together, and drove it home fine. i assume the 40yr old bushings couldnt take that abuse. does anybody know where to get some replacement ones? im new at this but that was a BI*CH. id hate to have to do it again.

ClarkeF

Here is some of the fun you can have with yours... Remember only do stuff like this on your property or some other safe place.
Great vid, one question:

Was it just me, or was the front axle not locked in the last part of that video - looked like the rears were spinning and the fronts hardly moving?

Cheers,

Clarke

JTugwell

Alfa truck has the tork rods for 35 each. do all 12. P.S check the brake lines too. The axle moving has the tendency to pull them out. :-D

thanks. can you still drive the truck with the old torque rods ends in there, as long as you take it easy on it? ive still be driving mine around, and it dosent look like they have moved again. i have only had it on the road, and in grass since. im not gonna lie though they are shot. only two are any good. i guess im just tring to get by as cheap as possible, and buy a few at a time. i was about to order the ones that broke the other day, and put them in this weekend. i just didnt want the truck to be down until i got them all replaced. any suggestions, or should i just get off the wallet.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks