• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

my first gl win!!

sterlun

Hello all! I just recently won my first GL auction and got a spiffy (I think) XM818. I saw in a forum on here where some guys talked of driving their GL prizes home. Will they let me do that? GL said vehicles need to be hauled from the base. Waiting on my first EUC approval now and looking at $1000 haul bill for a 200 mile trip. Your tips and experience will be greatly appreciated in this. I'm a newby and I figure you guys have done this before.

Here's some pics of my score...

http://www.govliquidation.com/aucimg/photos/26519/26518152.jpg

http://www.govliquidation.com/aucimg/photos/26519/26518559.jpg

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Congrats on your win. the EUC may take awhile since it's your first purchase.:grd:

I don't know where your truck is or what the enroute/towed mileage is but dang...5 bucks per mile sounds kinda high to me.

sterlun

Thanks. Yeah I thought it was a lil rough myself. It's 200+/- loaded miles mostly interstate in GA. I'm pretty excited about getting my hands on it. They say first EUC is like 60 days.

SixSpeed

Banned
Its hit and miss really. I would say the majority are drivable. I'd bring basic stuff like fluids/belts.

Some do have issues that need to be addressed off-base before driving though.

Edit: Batteries! A lot of trucks listed as "Doesn't Start" just need batteries. Sometimes they are nice and jump them and they say "Runs with jump", but its GL. You NEVER really know what you are getting! Could be a pink motorcycle!

Last edited:

velociT

That truck caught my attention too....

I didn't bid since it said it didn't run.

WR has always listed runners in the past, so I'd plan a recovery where Plan A doesn't involve driving it.

If it is in the same mechanical condition as the exterior you got a nice truck.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I've NEVER driven anything away...just don't trust anything I haven't driven around a little. I always haul/tow stuff home.

I'd rather spend up front than be broke down on the road and be at the mercy of whoever has a truck big enough to move me.:roll:

sterlun

I've NEVER driven anything away...just don't trust anything I haven't driven around a little. I always haul/tow stuff home.

I'd rather spend up front than be broke down on the road and be at the mercy of whoever has a truck big enough to move me.:roll:
You raise a very good point...

velociT

Yeah I'm not really sure of the running condition.

But you're saying they actually will ALLOW you to drive the vehicle away?
My truck came from WR but it was shipped to me.

After 69 business days for the EUC, it arrived with no batteries, fuel, or brake fluid.

So it ran, but not for long, and didn't stop.

GL has recently been removing fluids too, but if they did, they'd be doing you a favor.

The oil was in miserable condition. If I had known I would have given the truck an oil change before ever cranking it.

5 gallons of Mobil 1 Truck Diesel Truck oil later, it ran much smoother.

sterlun

My truck came from WR but it was shipped to me.

After 69 business days for the EUC, it arrived with no batteries, fuel, or brake fluid.

So it ran, but not for long, and didn't stop.

GL has recently been removing fluids too, but if they did, they'd be doing you a favor.

The oil was in miserable condition. If I had known I would have given the truck an oil change before ever cranking it.

5 gallons of Mobil 1 Truck Diesel Truck oil later, it ran much smoother.
If that's your truck on your avatar it's super -nice! Thanks for that little story. From what you guys are saying it's starting to sound like shipping is the way to go.

Do you mind if I ask who you had haul it, and were you satisfied with them?

velociT

If that's your truck on your avatar it's super -nice! Thanks for that little story. From what you guys are saying it's starting to sound like shipping is the way to go.

Do you mind if I ask who you had haul it, and were you satisfied with them?
Yep, that's my truck :mrgreen:

Got it from WR this time last year.

I had Mike Hatfield of MD Carriers ship it. I was very satisfied and continue to use him.

I'll PM you his info.

goldneagle

Well I hate to be the odd man here but...I drove all 3 of my trucks home from the base. Last 2 trucks had fresh oil and all the fluids topped of when I got it. There are plenty of other members that have driven their trucks home. Some have gone long distances without any problems.

My opinion is that driving these trucks is a gamble no matter what! I read constantly in here about engine failures, tranny trouble, brake issues on trucks that have been in PRIVATE hands for a while and finally decided to crap out. Unless you never intend to drive the truck any reasonable distance from home you always risk breaking down on the side of the road far from home and at some towing company mercy.

You can always ask another member to go recover the truck with you. They may have a truck large enough to flat tow you off base to where you can do more detailed work on getting the truck road worthy. There are plenty of members in GA and BAMA that can help you recover the truck.

OK now please don't jump all over me all at once. one guy at a time!

Varyag

Man, what I wouldn't do for a set of the tires that are on that thing.

There has to be someone in the area that would flat tow you. I can't imagine that there isn't.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks