• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My first heavy truck xm215

Danger Ranger

As a NAPA employee, I can tell you that each store varies on what it can order. Depending on where you are, the DC (distribution center) for your area may or may not have a store attached. Try them, or, if you have an account there, try using Prolink, you should beb able to order it with that. Good luck.

tburk49760

I plan on paint somewhat close to the correct color even tho many of my favorite things are pink. I did score quite a few useful parts from the soon to be scrapped truck however, was unable to secure the airpack this time. He tells me that when he actually cuts it up I will be able to get the airpack as well as the taillights and a few other little pieces. Now that I put about 1 million hours into shortening the cargo bed, I would of course be interested in the correct dump bed assuming I can afford it and the necessary travel. Send me a PM if you are mind to. My NAPA connection is still looking for the new airpack, so far to no avail.

SturmTyger380

I worked with the guy at NAPA and he called his DC to find out about ordering the airpack. What he found out is it is listed as a R&R which he says is you send in your core and they rebuild it. So if your core is really bad they will try to rebuild it but no promise that it will work out. He did say that if they could find one on a shelf somewhere the cost would be $600.

In that case I think I would try to work directly with one of the other companies I have read about on SS to do the referb or try and do it myself with the 5 ton kit.

Has anyone thought about trying the later M35 airpack that is shorter than the old one and seeing if that would work?

tburk49760

so far. i have managed to procrastinate as much as possible. I'm about out of excuses though, and need to finish prepping for paint. Just noe excited about sanding the 1/2 acres of sheetmetal...

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How to prep for paint

Do you drink?

When I do my next one I'm going to do it on the one night a year I get loaded, sand one square foot at a time and enjoy it. Use a sealed mug and wear a mask, taking breaks often.

When I sober up, she'll be ready for paint. I haven't tried this method yet, but I hear it's worked for others.

Last edited:

Danger Ranger

That is an interesting thought. Crazy enough it just might work. I have never been there, but I imagine that trying it high instead of drunk would be funny in the morning, you would probably have spots all over the truck done from "chasing butterflys". rofl

tburk49760

I'm allergic to beer but I have no issues with vodka... Mixing booze with my ADD woul yield some comical results for sure.. They did just legalize that other intoxicant though... ;-) where is a hard working teen whe I need one? I will get started as soon as I completely run out of excuses... going to blast the frame and box with nickel slag...

tburk49760

Did a bit of sanding on Olga. Still plenty of acres of sheet-metal left to sand. I did manage to sling a little mud on some of the best sections, hopefully I can sand this out in the next few days and maybe just maybe primer is not too far away.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Really dig'n the pictures. The changes made to that beast are tough to see sometimes but if I hold up the lap-top and lay on the floor, it's like I'm there.

With so many fluid holding parts on the G749's it's not surprising seeing the drips. What is surprising is how washing, re-torquing and driving can correct a leak.

The winch leak pic in the second photo could possibly be fixed by running Cornhead grease instead of the oil that's in there....until you find time to re-build it.

By the time we get all our leaks fixed.....we'll be leaking.

Get'er done.

tburk49760

Got an old rotten soft top to use a a pattern. My plan is to either make or have one made from the more modern materials than original. My truck will likely spend plenty of time outdoors and canvas just won't survive... I have a 5 ton cargo cover now all I need is an industrial sewing machine and some seamstress skills..

tburk49760

I'm pretty sure Olga "my truck" is broken. I have been ignoring her for the last two weeks and yet she still insists that she is not going to sand herself. I'm not sure what to do about this. I believe I have found a retired guy who used to be a body repairman and he is willing to come out for really low pay and hopefully do most of the paint prep work. As it turns out I'm gonna be on vacation for a week and then he's on vacation for a couple of days after that so...

tburk49760

Still reeling from the frustration with the non-self installing primer and paint. I did however lose the keys, yes I know a real military vehicle doesn't use keys. Finally gave up and bought the new ignition switch, hope to install that in the next day or two and then see if I can find some liquid or other motivation to get the sanding and priming /painting done.

tburk49760

My dad is visiting from Tennessee and drove Olga today. I thought that he was going to teach me how to better shift my non synchro tranny with less grinding. Him being a real truck driver for some forty years. I felt much better after he drove :). Wouldn't you know, as soon as I got my heavily modified cargo/dump bed mostly done, I found a good condition stock dump bed! And it's close by! Here we go...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks