• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My first hummer.....which one is best

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Getting ready to buy my first hummer.....which one is best and should I worry about the older models 89 and up??
Is this a GM made vehicle, if not I think you need to take the time to LEARN the proper names of MVes BEFORE you buy anything, because you may be in for a BIG surprise when whatever you brought shows up.

dilligaf13

It kinda depends on what you plan on doing with the truck. The more info you provide the more insight we can provide. If you're just bombing around town just about any will suffice, whereas if you're using it for a specific task than that's a different story....

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
AM general M 998 SORRY I wasn't SPECIFIC enough
The reason I posted is that there is a BIG difference between a hummer and a m998, this has NOTHING to do about being specific enough, this is TWO DIFFERENT vehicles, there are a lot of different HMMWV models but are still a HMMWV, a hummer is NOT part of the HMMWV family.

Action

The reason I posted is that there is a BIG difference between a hummer and a m998, this has NOTHING to do about being specific enough, this is TWO DIFFERENT vehicles, there are a lot of different HMMWV models but are still a HMMWV, a hummer is NOT part of the HMMWV family.
Isn't the H1 a Hummer?

Videris

Get hmmwv with a serpentine belt set up. Early to mid 2000 for years. Nothing wrong with older years but if I had to do it all over again I'd pay a little more up front then upgrade an older one. Start with one that has a real good newer platform if you can afford it. Early to mid 2000 models are better.

Action

I wouldn't trust the year on any reset data plates.
A 4-speed trans would be great. Look for P on the shifter.
Don't worry about top and doors. You can get them later and make it a 2 or 4 seat.
Obviously a 6.5 is better than a 6.2.
as stated above, a serpentine belt would likely be a newer motor.
avoid any body damage.
you want a solid frame (rails). parts bolt on and off easy.
look for the emergency brakes on the rear rotors.

MaverickH1

Isn't the H1 a Hummer?
Realistically, there are few differences between the HUMMER and the HMMWV in the first few production years of the HUMMER. The HUMMER was simply the civilian name AM General came up with when the "Humvee" was sold to the public. This completely ignores the abortions that were the H2 and H3, which were designed by GM.

Sure, they added some plastic, more comfortable seats, sealed it better from the elements, etc. Ultimately, it was nearly as rugged. The biggest difference between the early production year Hummers and HMMWVs was the 24V military electrical system and the true waterproof/water resistant nature of the electronic system on the HMMWV. The HUMMER electrical system more closely mirrored GM products since the powertrain and HVAC system was GM.

As Hummer H1 model years progressed, it slowly moved further and further from the HMMWV, although the frame and steering and suspension and powertrain stayed almost identical.

When General Motors purchased the HUMMER name around 1999, it really started to change for the worse, IMO. 1999 was the first year of mandated ABS, and the "Torq-Trac" system that was necessary. The Humvee BTM system was unable to use ABS, so true off-roaders stay away from the 1999+ Hummer H1s, although some prefer it. GM continued to make "comfort" changes to the H1 instead of advancing it's capabilities. By 2004 they were almost trying to market it exclusively as a luxury SUV, which it most certainly was not. In 2005 it skipped a model year because of all of the new safety and emissions requirements that it was forced to meet by the feds. In 2006, it came back as the ALPHA H1 before GM decided to cancel the line altogether because they took it the wrong direction and they thought the H2 and H3 would carry the brand into the sunset as GM's new Jeep competitor.

To this day, I hate GM for what they did to HUMMER. When I was 15 and they were first whispering about buying the HUMMER brand, I wrote them a very long e-mail warning them that they shouldn't change the heritage for the sake of a quick buck. Needless to say... they didn't listen and I happened to be 100% right. :-(

Last edited:

ryanruck

Well, according to my 1985 vintage, highly stylish, collectable belt buckle from LTV Aerospace and Defense, the M998 is called the Hummer and this predates the civilian Hummer (aka H1) by 7 years. :mrgreen:

IMG_2775.jpg

IMG_2777.jpg

In case you can't read that, it says, "Fifth In A Collector Series. M998 Series 1 1/4 Ton 4x4 Cargo/Troop Carrier. LTV Aerospace and Defense. AM General Division. 1985."

But yeah, in modern parlance, the military truck is the HMMWV/Humvee and the civilian truck is the Hummer.

And no, I don't wear this while driving my truck. :cool:

MaverickH1

Well, according to my 1985 vintage, highly stylish, collectable belt buckle from LTV Aerospace and Defense, the M998 is called the Hummer and this predates the civilian Hummer (aka H1) by 7 years. :mrgreen:

View attachment 664183

View attachment 664184

In case you can't read that, it says, "Fifth In A Collector Series. M998 Series 1 1/4 Ton 4x4 Cargo/Troop Carrier. LTV Aerospace and Defense. AM General Division. 1985."

But yeah, in modern parlance, the military truck is the HMMWV/Humvee and the civilian truck is the Hummer.

And no, I don't wear this while driving my truck. :cool:
That's pretty surprising that the HUMMER is even shown there as a registered trademark... thanks for sharing!

And there's nothing you can say that will convince me that you don't wear it all the time. :)

Wahoo777

Going to be driving on sand 700+ miles a week for 5 months straight... wondering if the 89' to 94' are gonna cut it and or be relatively easy to maintain.....

jeffy777

Getting ready to buy my first hummer.....which one is best and should I worry about the older models 89 and up??
This is a question that is perspective based so I will give mine.

1. I wanted one that worked (at least somewhat).
2. I wanted one that was not finished off (I want to do somethings myself plus I do not want to lose the this truck was in war look.)
3. I did not care about the age (I can fix anything with enough time[and money], my buddies I hang with and my bro's here at Steel Soldiers)
4. And a hot cup of coffee makes me happy generally so my bar isn't too high.

Probably M1123 is better but I did not care, I got a M998 6.2 but it runs and does everything I want.

Get yourself one and we will hang out one day I am less than an hour down the road. :)

Last edited:

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First off, Welcome to Steel Soldiers!! RetiredWarHorses is a member and vendor here. He sells HMMWV's at his place in Brentwood, CA. He is an amazing resource!! If I were looking for a HMMWV, I'd send him a PM with all of my questions. I hope this helps. :)

dk8019

Going to be driving on sand 700+ miles a week for 5 months straight... wondering if the 89' to 94' are gonna cut it and or be relatively easy to maintain.....
Sounds like you have a very cool job, or a very time consuming hobby! It sounds like all off road sand work. We use ours off road on the farm, rock and dirt around here. I settled on a M998, 6.5L, 3 speed auto. It gets the job done, it is easy to work on, and is what I had in mine when I thought HMMWV. I would imagine that as long as it isn't too cold during your five months, that one setup like mine would both be far more affordable than the newer trucks, but would handle anything you throw at it.

WalterMitty

No way would I recommend getting a HMMWV for your stated use. While I truly love my 1987 M998, I would never (nor would I think others on here) classify it as a really reliable vehicle. While I think they would "cut it" for you use, I can't see one being "easy to maintain". I think you would be repairing it all the time. You might be better off with something else that would be more reliable, and have AC. As many on here have said, HMMWV actually stands for High Maintenance Money Wasting Vehicle.I also second putting a call/email/PM into Retired War Horses.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Buy 4. That way you will have one to drive while you fix the other three every weekend.