• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My first M109A3

sporkius

Well first I am new to this forum but I am sure to become a regular. Mostly because I have no clue what I am doing. I am interested in buying a M109A3 from a base in PA within the next couple weeks. I have six possibilities to chose from and a couple weeks before bidding starts. So I have several questions and im sure many questions that I should have asked but didn't.

First I haven't been able to find a manual. That I would imagine is a big one since I don't have a clue what the components in a unique engine like this do. Secondly I was thinking about driving it back since I only have 360 odd miles to go. Is that a terrible idea or a regular thing. The man I called at the base said that was allowed and would make the trip. When I go to preview these six trucks at the base what should I look for, what should I take note of and what should turn me running. I plan to use this vehicle as a scientific platform for an expedition into northern Canada. If that helps you point me any in the right direction.

m109guy

Welcome.

M109's are great trucks and I am sure you will be happy with it. I love mine.

If you go near the top of the page, you will see a bar with many links on it. Go to the "Resources" tab, then click on technical manuals. Look for M35 manuals. They are the same thing. The M109 is actually just an M35 with a shop van box on it.

Lots of people drive them back home from GL. All depends on the condition of the truck and how well prepared you are for the trip.

When doing the preview, make sure the truck is running for a start and all the guages are reading okay. Then check things like tires and lights to make sure they are okay. Also let the truck run for a few minutes so you have a chance to see if anything is leaking in the engine compartment. If possible, see if you can move the truck a bit to make sure the breaks work.

You should also take a good look at the body to make sure there is no major rust. Places like around the bottom of the cab, the bottom of the doors, and through the box can be trouble.

When looking at the box on the truck, try to get one with all the window shades in place, and that the electrical system is intact (ie, circuit breaks and panels). I would also take a good look at the floor in the box as some floors are either badly rotten or cut-up/modified.

Good luck. I hope you are able to get a good one and if you are north of the border and in the area, come pay me a visit. I will show you my M109 super camper ;)

sporkius

Im having trouble finding this manual. I looked in the resources but only found ones for a 939 series truck is that the one?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
LO 9-2320-209-12-1 Lube order for the m35 series
LO 9-2320-386-12 M35 Lubrication Order

TB 9-4910-492-30Hoist unit mount in m34 or m35
TB 43-0209 Military camouflage painting
TM 9-2320-209-10-1 M35reference data.
TM 9-2320-209-10-1-HR List issue items m44a1 and m44a2
TM 9-2320-209-10-2 M35 preventive maintenance checks and services
Tm 9-2320-209-10-3 M35 general troubleshooting
TM 9-2320-209-10-4 M35 operator's maintenance program
TM 9-2320-209-20-2-1 M35 trouble shooting volume 2 section 1
Tm 9-2320-209-20-2-2 M35 trouble shooting volume 2 section 2
TM 9-2320-209-20-3-1 Organizational level maintenance, volume 1 section 1 (chapters 1 - 12)
Tm 9-2320-209-20-3-2 Organizational level maintenance, volume 1 section 2(chapters 13 - 17)
Tm 9-2320-209-20-3-3 Organizational level maintenance, volume 1 section 3 (chapter 18
Tm 9-2320-209-20-3-4 Organizational level maintenance, volume 1 section 4 (chapters 19 - 23)
Tm 9-2320-209-20p Organizational level maintenance parts / tools
TM 9-2520-246-34 M35 direct / general support maintenance for transmissions
TM 9-2520-246-34-1 Maintenance direct and general support transmissions
Tm 9-2520-246-34p M-35 direct / general support maintenance parts, tools for transmissions
Tm 9-2815-204-34pM-35 Depot / Direct / General Support Maintenance Parts Tools of Engine

KaiserM109

Jump in, the water's fine. I drove my M109 from Ft. Riley to Denver with what were minor incidents, but could have been major.

Search threads for "advice" and M35. There's a lot of help available here.

One thing that nobody told me and I don't hear much is Pump up the air tanks and drain them completely twice to get the water out. I had a pucker factor 5 incident when water got into the valves and I had TOTAL brake failure in heavy traffic 1 hour after leaving post.

One last word of advice, remember when it comes to military equipment you can't eat just one.

Arlyn

dcwilkie

Welcome Sporkius!
If it makes you feel any better, I bought a Deuce from Redstone Arsenal recently and have had very little trouble out of it. Most of the "trouble" was my unfamiliarity with the M35A2.
Feel free to ask questions even if you feel they're dumb (guarantee they're not).

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Educate oneself by reading the TM.s We have made them available free of charge here on Steel Soldiers. Go to the top, click on resources then scroll down to technical manuals. Once there search for TM 9-2320-361-10 and TM 9-2320-361-20 as starters. Right click on them and save them to your computer for best results. The -10 is the operators and the -20 is the unit maintenance manual. You can also grab the TM 9-2320-361-34, TM 9-2320-361-20P and TM 9-2320-361-34P. That completes that series of TM. All of the 209 manuals are a different series.

2027Deuce

Sporkius, since you have the time, do a good inspection, you'll want a 109 w/ the ladder. Also use the manuals that Doghead posted above. Part of owning a deuce is working on it so I hope you have atleast some mech. ability, there is alot of help here so don't be afraid to ask.

I see you are in Boston, have any Red Sox tickets?

sporkius

Yes I have some mechanical knowledge. More on the electrical side but im not to worried about that. I have spent the majority of last night and this morning pouring over these manuals. It is providing a ton of useful information. I just fear in the 5,000 some odd pages I will miss some small thing like dont forget to check this or your vehicle will explode and all around you will die. I am new to the boston area so I have yet to go to a redsocks game. I am hoping to before the season ends though.

KaiserM109

A lot of M109s seem to be non-turbo. The way you can tell from the GL photos is that the non-turbo engine has a longer rubber section coming out of the air filter canister and the turbo engine has a short one with a bulge.
Photo 1: Non turbo, Photo 2 Non turbo, Photo 3 turbo, Photo 4 turbo

Attachments

sporkius

ok well the ones I am looking at have a turbo. I would imagine that is what I want. I am also reading about the sprags and air shifts and that I am going to want an airshift. Im wondering how do I tell the difference between the two?

2027Deuce

The airshift will have a switch w/ light indicator on the dash. If you like the whistle get a C turbo, if you want to retain your hearing get a D turbo.

frodobaggins

ok well the ones I am looking at have a turbo. I would imagine that is what I want. I am also reading about the sprags and air shifts and that I am going to want an airshift. Im wondering how do I tell the difference between the two?
If you can see the dash, they will be a lever/switch to engage an air shift.