• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My First M923A2 Mod: Rear Flood Lights

crolfe1984

So about two weeks ago I took the plunge and got my very first Steel Soldier! I'm proud to call this particular 1990 BMY M923A2 my own. When it comes to modification & working on the truck I am a bit limited as I only have basic hand/power tools available, and my "workshop" is the quiet end of a city street where I keep it parked. Indeed that is correct - I live in the middle of a major metropolitan area and I got this monster!

So I wanted to try my hand at adding some rear LED flood lights. This begged the question... How am I going to turn these things on and off? I know a lot people add a switch directly to the side of the battery box, but I wanted a more "dashboard oriented" solution. In the pics below you'll see the switch panel I came up with. I figured if I was going to do one switch why not add two more. That would make adding future accessories/lights that much easier!

IMG_4314.jpgIMG_4317.jpgIMG_4322.jpgIMG_4329.jpg

The power comes directly from the battery box up into the engine bay. It enters the cab through the firewall by the PCB. I have a 3 AMP in-line fuse for good measure (right off of the battery for easy replacement if needed). 24V gets routed to each of the heavy-duty switches, and the load-out cable goes right back through the firewall and along the frame to the rear. I wound up using 12GA stranded gas & oil resistant wire for the entire application. The switch bracket itself is 1" angle aluminum drilled for the switches and #8-32 1/2" bolts. The rear lights I picked up from a local FleetPride. They are Prima 3x3w LED lamps.

Overall the installation took a lot of time! Routing that cable was a chore when you're under the truck and well over 6' tall. I already have done some other light modifications such as locking door handles, headlamp guards, and keyed ignition. These lights work great and I can't wait to tackle my next M923A2 project! I'm thinking some front LED driving lights and floods.

crolfe1984

Thanks for the complements! I'll be sure to post up pictures & video of future projects.

Nice safe installation job that looks like BMY put it there. Post up you next job so we can get a few more ideas from you!
Will do! While I won't be doing anything major like a body-of-frame restoration I do enjoy tinkering with some of the smaller things. Looking forward to see what else I can come up with and share with SS.

I like it. Did you install the keyed ignition switch? I'd love to have one like that to prevent someone from playing with my toy.
You can pick one of these up at a major auction site and the install is not that hard. It may be redundant, but I also plan on doing a keyed battery cut-off on the side of the box. Between the keyed ignition, battery switch, and locking door handles this is one secure 5-ton.

crolfe1984

Awesome looking 5 ton! See it all the time as I'm going into Fort McHenry!
Now how cool is that! Happy to see another Baltimore SS member! I live right in the neighborhood at Silo.

Indeed I do keep it street parked in front of Fort McHenry. I don't have much time during the day to work on it, but you'll catch me at night out there with my sedan backed up to it and my tool boxes out. I drive it about twice a week to keep the fluids moving and to satisfy the street parking regulations.

Funny story... One night about two weeks ago I was taking the tarp & bows off of the truck and Baltimore City PD rolled up. They yelled over to me if I could come to their car and then asked for ID. They got out and ran my ID, checked my truck plates, and the VIN on my car. After they decided I was legitimately working on my own truck and not stealing parts off of it they walked around a bit and asked lots of questions!

One officer was nice enough to say "now that I know it's yours we'll keep an eye on it for you." All of the MTA drivers usually honk/wave if I'm out there working on it. Once I get it through MD State inspection I plan to use it for a few local events and parades later in 2015.

crolfe1984

I would think a keyed battery switch in the dash would take care of everything.
It might be a bit excessive, but I have a keyed battery cutoff that is going in later this month. Since it is street parked I really don't want people messing about. Between the door handles, ignition, battery cutoff, locking fuel cap, and locked tool boxes its about as secure as you can make one of these.

Another Ahab

It might be a bit excessive, but I have a keyed battery cutoff that is going in later this month. Since it is street parked I really don't want people messing about. Between the door handles, ignition, battery cutoff, locking fuel cap, and locked tool boxes its about as secure as you can make one of these.
What's your set-up for the locking fuel-cap? The hasp-with-padlock approach?

crolfe1984

I drove by your truck crolfe1984 Saturday afternoon on our way into Fort McHenry. It looks great!
Thank you! I try to keep it in top running condition. The previous owner did it justice so I plan to carry it forward. I'm actually taking it out tonight for a little exercise... a trip over to Bass Pro.

turnkey

Cool looking rig and nice install on the light switches.....You would be surprised how much you can add to it...Like you said the little things...