• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My first military vehicle. M923A1

sd39u

Well...it looks like I won a GP auction today. I guess I'm really gonna go thru with this now and get my first M923A1. Picked it up cheap enough so I can afford to do some work on it. Gotta get over to Ft. Riley, KS early next week and pick her up. Next order of business is getting my wife on board with this!

1986 AM General M923A1. Cummins 250 motor, troop seats and bows, and super single tires in great shape. No CTIS (which may be a good thing). GP site says it the transfer case has issues shifting into the low range so I'll have to research that one out...hoping it's something easier than replacing the transfer case.

I'll let you know how the recovery goes. I'm taking a friend with that is a diesel mechanic with me!

Ericimage.jpgimage.jpg

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
By the way all these trucks are hard to get into low it's no big issue
Mine likes to be moving to go into low.
It could be the inter lock.

datadawg

Next order of business is getting my wife on board with this!

EricView attachment 544362View attachment 544363
A wise man oce said, "It's better to ask forgiveness than to ask permission." Just tell tbe wife you can get more money selling parts than you paid for it. Oh and that you might need to get another truck for parts, just to fix this one, but if she really objects you'll just stick with the one you bought. She will probably let you off the hook with only a night or two in the doghouse.
Good luck with the transfer case. Remember, you should NOT put it in low range when in reverse.

Last edited:

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like someone else mentioned getting it into low range is a typical problem on all these trucks. Exhaust all your air (under 60lbs or so)and it should drop right in.

FloridaAKM

I used to dislike tan very much, but after a tan truck & a few tan trailers; it starts to grow on you. Here in Florida, tan is much cooler during the hot summer months, so I will probably continue the tan trend in vehicular equipment. A tan M923A2 would fit in the herd really well this year....