• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My first multifuel?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
A tire lift is made to lift the wheels.
In the next step, to get the hubs out without damaging anything, wait until you see what I use.
Each task has its own tool.
I must specify that I always work alone without the help of anyone so maximum security.
For a long time, I worked in a trailer shop and removing both tires, the spyder, and the drum in one step saved me many hours in a day. Removing the oil cup and the wheel bearing nuts and bearings could get an oil seal replaced in about 20 minutes.

Of course I was a good bit younger then.
The shop floor was level, clean, and smooth too.

Everybody has their own way I guess...

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Don't the wreckers and dumps have some kind of double frame construction? I've never compared frames and have no idea what that would look like.
@HDN You are a Freakin Genius!
Yes! The second picture in Post #149 (previous page) HAS the frame support.

foxtrot

For a long time, I worked in a trailer shop and removing both tires, the spyder, and the drum in one step saved me many hours in a day. Removing the oil cup and the wheel bearing nuts and bearings could get an oil seal replaced in about 20 minutes.

Of course I was a good bit younger then.
The shop floor was level, clean, and smooth too.

Everybody has their own way I guess...
In my case on this post.
No, not everyone has this method.
I have to disassemble all the wheels individually because everything has to be sanded, primed and painted.
Can you explain to me how to take out two wheels and hub at the same time with wheel cap nuts and wheel studs?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
In my case on this post.
No, not everyone has this method.
I have to disassemble all the wheels individually because everything has to be sanded, primed and painted.
Can you explain to me how to take out two wheels and hub at the same time with wheel cap nuts and wheel studs?
Yes sir. The painting and sanding is definitely something that would "muck up the works" on trying to removed the drum and spyder and wheels all in one operation. For what you are doing, the way you are doing it is really grand.

Removing everything in one piece just means that I used a drain pan and 7/16 inch socket to buzz off the oil caps. Or if on a tractor, 9/16 inch socket to remove the axles. Then after the gear oil drains, I would cram a few shop towels in there to capture more oil. Then slide the wheel puller - looking very much like yours - and lift the wheels. Using a proper socket and extension, I would remove the inner spindle nut, then the lock, then with the socket again - remove the inside spindle nut and the wheel bearing should follow if the jack isn't too low or too high.

The entire assembly will roll back out off the spindle if the brakes are released.
Often times the brakes may need to be "backed in" so they aren't as close to the drum.

Last edited:

HDN

@HDN You are a Freakin Genius!
Yes! The second picture in Post #149 (previous page) HAS the frame support.

The big trapezoidal plate bolted just in front of the middle axle is it? Looks like extends a ways towards the front of the truck:

Screenshot_20220929-182723_Chrome.jpg

foxtrot

A few months ago I started my search for the MASSTER camouflage for my M543 photo below.
Since then things have evolved a lot.
After having gathered all my research, archive photos etc...
I made much more precise drawings starting from TB 43-0209.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good. On my M813 brakes I was able to leverage the brake shoe away from the wheel cylinder with a large flat screw driver and then I could pull those push rod things out of the cylinder with no need to remove any springs or keepers.

foxtrot

Looks good. On my M813 brakes I was able to leverage the brake shoe away from the wheel cylinder with a large flat screw driver and then I could pull those push rod things out of the cylinder with no need to remove any springs or keepers.
I am going to tell you two secrets.
- The general condition of this truck is very committed, everything must be dismantled for verification, it leaves me nothing past.
Don't misunderstand what I'm showing you, the rooms are either rebuilt or cleaned twice rather than once, like the sweeping of my workplace.
In short, you don't see the rust, dirt or mess I don't like to show that.
- Second, I have a magic tool for the springs, I find myself winding them up on the first try, I'll take a picture.
Must be in your toolbox.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I am going to tell you two secrets.
- The general condition of this truck is very committed, everything must be dismantled for verification, it leaves me nothing past.
Don't misunderstand what I'm showing you, the rooms are either rebuilt or cleaned twice rather than once, like the sweeping of my workplace.
In short, you don't see the rust, dirt or mess I don't like to show that.
- Second, I have a magic tool for the springs, I find myself winding them up on the first try, I'll take a picture.
Must be in your toolbox.
I love tools so if you have magic in your toolbox - yes - Please share!

You have done a nice job on your truck.
It's exciting to see your progress almost daily...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks