• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My first MV Looking at the M816

Streamline

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hay guys I wanted to get some advice about my first possible MV purchase some time this year.

I have been watching some of the M816 6X6 5 Ton wrecker trucks on the GL site seeing what they are going for. My wife thinks I'm crazy I just tell he it big just like me and she married me....who's crazy now....lol I was looking at a Deuce but if I'm going to get a large truck like these I want one that can also help me out around the shop and a crane would defiantly help specially when I do not have a forklift anymore. I noticed there is also a M819 also and I will study up on that one as well.

My question is will there be any problems buying these wrecker truck that show up more than not that I would need to know about? Like does the crane normally work or not stuff like that. My father was a diesel mechanic for over 30 years so I have help on the motor and drive train areas and my uncle owns a hydraulic shop so I have that covered as far as help if I did have problems until I can learn more about these machines.

What are some good things to look for that might not be obvious to figure out condition of the MV I might be looking at on the GL site?

Any other input would be helpful and appreciated, and yes with this being my first purchase if I'm bitting off more than I should for my first time out no big deal if you want to let me know that also.

Thanks ahead of time
Bobby

area52

One big problem about buying from GL - normally you can't start the vehicle up and test drive it. You can only inspect it as it sits. I bought a M816 from GL and it looks like my crane needs some work.

You also need to consider how are you gonna get it home?

Forget about getting a M819 from GL, I have seen ONE on there before.

Streamline

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was looking at pictures of the M819 on line and I see that it has a cab for the crane operator not sure what else is different probably longer truck also. I wouldn't want the cab so the M819 is out anyway unless one came up for a better deal.

I did see where buyers have brought items like jumper cables, batteries, fuel and other parts to pick up a Deuce but I figured the M816 would probably need to be trailered out.

Would be nice if you could see if It would at lest crank but I guess thats the difference between paying 5000 to 8000 vrs 15000 to 20000.

Tlauden

As far as previewing I spoke with a gentleman from GL and durin preview I can start the truck by jumping it but cannot drive it.. Just saying depending on where ya go they might have different rules/ bend the rules a little

Maybe call the GL site before preview to see what you can and can't do

Best if luck to ya, they seem like handy trucks

Last edited:

R Racing

The M819 has a 26 foot reach the M816 has 18 foot of reach, The M819 also has a 5th wheel to haul larger trailers. But doesn't have the 45K winch in the rear. Also If I remember the crane can pick more with the M819. I have yet to see in the past year a M819 on GL . Maybe Doghead can chime in. I know he has 1.

jimmcld

I am really pleased with mine. I bought it "sight unseen". The thing that made me like this one was the fact that it had been overhauled just 1500 miles before it was sold. That said, it was still about 10 years, however it was still in pretty good shape. The biggest problems I have had is with the rubber parts. After sitting for so many years, a lot of the rubber has dried out and needs to be replaced. Other then that, the biggest problems have been having to fix things that other people have worked on before. It's amazing how many things the motor pool can do wrong or half way. To make it worse, it is sometimes hard to figure out when something has been installed wrong. Sometimes, it takes a lot of research and head scratching. However, it sounds like you have a lot of technical advice handy.

I love it and have used it more than I ever thought I would.

area52

The M819 has a 26 foot reach the M816 has 18 foot of reach, The M819 also has a 5th wheel to haul larger trailers. But doesn't have the 45K winch in the rear. Also If I remember the crane can pick more with the M819. I have yet to see in the past year a M819 on GL . Maybe Doghead can chime in. I know he has 1.

They are both rated the same.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
That is a big rig to cut your MV teeth on.

I loved/hated my M816 while I had it.....it was a money pit from day one...the only truck I ever bought from GL that had a bad engine in it.

You may want to consider the cost of plates and insurance if you are going to operate it on the highway......my farm plate was 500 a year and insurance was 750 every six months and I could not tow anything on a public highway (even my own stuff).

Also it is slow on the road even without a load on it....tipping the scales at 36,000 pounds.

Everything on it is heavier and more expensive than deuce parts.

Whenever I have an urge to get another 5 ton I go out in the back yard and move that old 5 ton brake drum from one side of the yard to the other...usually kills the urge for a few months.rofl

Westech

CPL
never owned a MV and you want to jump in to the big boys? Well I have a nice M813 with lockers and 1400 tires.. it does need a little TLC but a good truck.... but really a deuce or even a cucv is the best way to start and even a deuce is a big jump.

Streamline

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a big rig to cut your MV teeth on.
Whenever I have an urge to get another 5 ton I go out in the back yard and move that old 5 ton brake drum from one side of the yard to the other...usually kills the urge for a few months.rofl

I figured that if I went this way and there were any problems it probably would be a big one. That is one of my concerns about this 5 ton or a Deuce is if things did go wrong do I have the ability to get it fixed. Its never fun when you always have to wait on some one to help before you can work on something.

Maybe I should first buy a wheel and roll it around in my backyard for a while...lol

Thanks for your input!

Streamline

Steel Soldiers Supporter
never owned a MV and you want to jump in to the big boys? Well I have a nice M813 with lockers and 1400 tires.. it does need a little TLC but a good truck.... but really a deuce or even a cucv is the best way to start and even a deuce is a big jump.
I have a friend that has jeeps and a CVCV and thats cool but after pondering on this for awhile I just want something bigger. I like the Deuce for one if I ever had to move I could pack my house up in it and a trailer. I also like the multi fuel part as well as it is big. But the I realized that other than a few rally trips and maybe some local parades it would just sit around. Thats when I started looking at the M816 at least the It can work for me around the house and shop. Plus I was a OTR driver for a local company for 7 years and I loved driving a Big Rig.

R Racing

Well after a whole weekend in a M920 . I had to drive my M813 to make some 1 inch to 1.5 adapters for my tow bar to a shop with a 100 ton press . I felt like I was in a pinto slammed on the ground !! LMBO I felt like I could parellel park that thing down town . I never thought I would feel that way about a 5 ton. I will say I love the power steering the 5 tons have !

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, if you were origionally looking at a deuce but want a wrecker, why not buy a M108? Check out www.jatonkam35s.com and look at his for 6K. I'd be all over it if I wouldn't have to move another.[thumbzup]

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
HALFTRACK has a nice M936A2 that he wants to sell. I know he is a "motivated" seller so it could probably be gotten cheaply...according to what he told me before he went to USMC officer candidate school.

Streamline

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, if you were origionally looking at a deuce but want a wrecker, why not buy a M108? Check out www.jatonkam35s.com and look at his for 6K. I'd be all over it if I wouldn't have to move another.[thumbzup]
Thanks for the link. Funny thing is when I was googling M108 to look at the truck I kept finding tanks for M108 I was thinking man why would he think I could use a tank?.....lol then I found the M108 wrecker.

Streamline

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What would be the smallest wrecker to get? What model#? The M936A2 that BKubu pointed out looks a lot cleaner and possibly smaller than the M816.

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What would be the smallest wrecker to get? What model#? The M936A2 that BKubu pointed out looks a lot cleaner and possibly smaller than the M816.
I too have an m936a2 that I would let go if the price was right. It is NOT smaller than an m816. The m936 and m816 use the same wrecker body. The cab is also about 10 inches wider than an m816's. With the bigger tilt hood and super singles the 936 looks bigger IMO

eldgenb

I started with a deuce, I now have multiple deuces had some 5 tons and now a 20 ton M920 and I still enjoy driving my deuces more than any other truck I own.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks