• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My first oil change...

paulfarber

Any tips for a drain plug that is rusted in place? The truck has sat for a few days, but when I tried to get to the drain plugs no go.... I may try heat next, because PB Blaster didn't do squat.

91W350

I backed my deuce in for the first oil change.. pulled the plug just in time for a 45 mph wind gust. I now have a nice green with black splotches camo shirt. I also have a circle where the grass died around my drain pan. Deuce life is wonderful! It blew oil to the inside of the left front wheel as well. Had to give my big baby a bath...

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Uh, also, be advised that a single 5 gallon pail will NOT contain it all. Might want to drain the rear sump first, empty the pail, then drain the forward sump. Or drain the aft sump into a smaller bucket and use the pail to get the forward sump.

BTW: :grd:

shenkmen

14. Spent the next hour listening to my wife gripe about the mess, and how expensive the oil change was and how the deuce was a waste of money, blah, blah, blah.....
I didn't spill any but it's been 4 months since I changed my oil and I'm still stuck on step 14.

Last edited:

ryker725

I received some excellent advice from a member.... If you name your truck using either her name or nickname or anything that can be associated with her, then she will love the truck.. I plan on doing that when I paint it in a month or so.. If she still doesn't like it, I'll change the name to my dog or something.. :cool:

I received some excellent advice from a member.... If you name your truck using either her name or nickname or anything that can be associated with her, then she will love the truck.. I plan on doing that when I paint it in a month or so.. If she still doesn't like it, I'll change the name to my dog or something.. :cool:
roflThats some good advice

A

A/C Cages

Sssshhhhhhhh You didnt hear this from me.
Someone, not me, changed his oil overtop a stump that he was going to burn out of the ground. Just let it pour all over the stump and soak in.

Actually it wasnt me, but it was my truck and I didnt know about it till a month later when he went to change the oil in another one.

H

Hank.

So, in time does the oil eventually drain out of the spin-on filters that have anti-drain back valves? Or do they make a mess?

goldwing2000

Banned
Haha Better luck next time... Let the truck sit longer next time, should be no oil in canisters after it sits a bit. Minus the mess the rest of the story may stay the same:p
Changed my oil today for the first time and the truck had been sitting overnight. The front canister was still 1/2 full and the rear was about 1/3 full. Yeah, it made a mess. :roll:

And worse... I didn't notice the rear sump plug (and didn't do any reading-up. "It's an oil change," I thought. "How difficult can it be?"). I was wondering why only about 2 1/2 gallons came out. :doh:

Luckily I haven't run it yet, so tomorrow I'll pull the rear plug and wait until clean oil starts coming out.

Last edited:

RWG

First oil changes can be interesting. Even after reading the TM, the quantity of oil in one is surprizing. You can always filter the oil and use it in the fuel if you don't mind a little more smoke.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Just so some of you guys know, not all of the trucks filter housings will drain. The truck I drove to Wi from Tx had this happen. We had just driven for 10hrs, pulled in for the night and parked. The next day I wanted to inspect the filters and BOTH canisters were full. I did some checking and found, most but not all drain out. If you have never done an oil change on your truck, be ready to make a mess.

Barrman

Childrens hard plastic swimming pools are also good to put around the drain bucket. They take forever to drain the oil back out of though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks