• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My first pick up... an M1009

top_prop

Howdy,

I've been reading and posting here for a few weeks now... tons of info to sort through... thanks to all who contribute to this site!

I just won my first auction. The EUC is in and I'm making plans concerning the retrieval of my new M1009 from Huntsville (Redstone) i won in the auction on the 5th of May.

I'm planning on renting a car hauler from u haul (@$60) and borrowing a 1998 Chevy 1500 ex cab 4x4 up there (its got a hitch receiver and winch on the front to winch the M1009 on the car hauler). U haul has approved the two vehicles for the load/tow vehicle combo. I have the registration for the truck (and it has base accesses stickers as I and the guy I'm borrowing the truck from are both in the USCG).

I haven't been able to get up there and inspect the vehicle between work, the recent devastation up there, and we delivered my new son the day I won the autcion as well! So I'm just going to haul it home then see about getting it running. Anyways, I'm wondering if you can suggest something I haven't thought of for picking it up.

Also looking for suggestions concerning going over it and first starting and modfying it.. I'll start another thread in the CUCV forum for that sort of info!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Tom

Attachments

91W350

Take a spare tire or two, just borrow them if you can. I have noticed some badly rotted tires on M1009s. If you have a friend in the transmission or salvage business, take the front yoke for the rear driveshaft with you. Tools to pull the rear shaft. Some kind of tail lights if the rented trailer does not have them. A camera and lots of photos to share! Glen

davidkroberts

i did the same thing using a car trailer. I wasnt sure if you meant a tow dolly or a car hauler. Adam is the one who will probably load you. Teresa, i think, is working in the office. Both are great people. Wreckerman is in and out of the yard almost every week so you might want to PM him and see if he can look over the vehicle for you. You have the right idea going and getting it and driving it back is fun and brave but also usually causes problems. A trailer is where its at if you want a smooth pickup. Redstone doesnt usually unload CUCVs with a forklift so you should be okay for driveshafts.

Wreckerman usually brings donuts.... might be a good idea. You will pass a Krispi Kreme on the way to uhaul i think. I think it is close to the college.

Redstone is going to have to schedule you a pickup with the front gate and you have to arrange that through GL. they need a day or two notice and you cant bump it usually.

rjinga

So you're the guy who out bid me?! ;-) (Actually, I think at least a couple of people did) Well, I hope it turns out to be a sweet one for you. I ended up getting a M1009 too. My son bought one from a private seller in January and when he found out I was bidding on this one he let me know he was interested in selling it and fixing up his truck with the money. Ta da!

top_prop

I am planning on using a full trailer (the truck drives/gets pulled up) ramps and fully on the u haul trailer... I'll pick up the trailer here in Mobile then drive up to Redstone empty, as round trip is much cheaper than one way.

So I take it that GL damages undercarriage/drive train stuff due to poor loading/unloading procedures!?!?!?! I guess I'll have to be aware of that. I'm going to PM wreckerman right now!

Thanks for the info and good advice! Please keep it coming!

Tom

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks