• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My first post, CUCV owner

raf32

I picked up this 1986 M1009 with 12,500 original miles and it shows, this baby is CLEAN. I have had it about a week an it's been running like a champ until today.

I turns over but does not want to start up, the fuel filter is getting fuel, but that's all I know how to check at this point. Any quick tips would be great guys.

I'm open to hiring a diesel mechaning to come out to Cedar Park, Texas if anyone knows someone in the area. I'm just North of Austin.

Great website that I'm sure to be checking in on now that I found a very nice M1009.

Thanks In Advance,

Russ

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
Steel Soldiers Supporter
sorry to say there is no such thing as orignal miles on cucvs most have turned over 100,000 miles so thats most likey 112,500 miles it's very hard to find new ones with low mines below 100,000 , if that had 12,000 miles on it... it should work till 50,000 no problem..

ralbelt

Welcome Aboard! I would test the glow plugs, a lot of info on here on how to do this. Do not use ether. Silicone spray if you must.

Also search for the doghead starter relay modification, a $15.00-$20.00 Mod that will save you hundreds.

K9Vic

sorry to say there is no such thing as orignal miles on cucvs most have turned over 100,000 miles so thats most likey 112,500 miles it's very hard to find new ones with low mines below 100,000 , if that had 12,000 miles on it... it should work till 50,000 no problem..
:cookoo::roll: Ammmmmm no.
Any good mechanical person can tell if a truck has 112k miles or 12k miles simply by looking at it. The majority of CUCVs I have seen have never rolled over miles.

My M1010 has 19k miles and I know it is 19k miles and not 119k miles. I did have to replace the IP because it was 25 years old and rubber seals will dry out over time. My M1028 has 32k and my M1009 has 33k and those are original miles.

To the OP:
If I lived in the Austin area I would help, but I am in Fort Worth. There are a few SS members that are in your area, they will likely help out.

erniemigi

there is alot of things that could be wrong, glow plugs not working, fusible link blown, bad ground, glow plug controller card went bad, just because you are getting fuel to the filter does not mean it is getting to the motor, at the top of the page there is a section called resources, in that you will find a section called technical manuals, there you can find alot of info to help trouble shoot just about any problem. alot of these problems have been asked and answered by fellow SS members, try starting there, good luck and Merry Christmas to u and all of my fellow SS members

pmramsey

Will it fire at all if only for five-ten seconds...and then die. Repeating the process only grinds the starter but no action. In this case, you have fuel but no fuel pressure. Always glow the plugs at least two full cycles in cold weather. Three will not hurt. Then try the starter. This helps but take no short cuts. Unlike most newer trucks, the CUCV does not have an electric pump in the fuel tank helping out the mechanical pump on the engine.

I eventually became fed up with my CUCVs used on the farm. I took the 24-volt fuel pump and filter bowl from trashed out 10KW Onan generators and replaced the standard fuel filters on the fire wall. I ran a momentary push button switch through the dash for the pump. I push the pump switch during the late stages of the plug glowing bulding up pressure. I continue holding while the starter runs and until the motor smooths out at start up. I release the fuel pump switch as the engine pump builds consistent fuel pressure in the system. No more problem.

You may wish to think about cleaning the fuel tank with Diesel Kleen. Buy a couple of new filters at NAPA. You may be surprised to discover BIO contamination in the filter. Cut it open...look for red slim. It is a common problem and a truck with little use grows the stuff in the right conditions.

I am sure you will find this information on the site but thought you could use the time fixing instead of searching. :driver:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to SteelSoldiers.

Make sure you visit the Cucv Wiki - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite (CUCV Wiki) that is at the top of the page on the CUCV Forum. All of the CUCV Technical Manuals are listed and many other helpful bits of information.

Make sure you download the repair manuals. You can get then for free. A couple of our members have posted them on their websites.
Also the wiring diagrams are in the appendi of the -20 and -34 manuals.

JATONKAM35s HOME ON THE WEB

Also checkout the http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/20600-faq-thread-cucvs.html stickey. It is where we try to post helpful tips and tricks.
Almost every question you will have has been asked and answered many times. The advanced search will become your best friend. Please don't hesitate to ask something that you can't find.

Read the TM 9-2320-289-10 Operators Manual to find out how a stock system should work. It is simular to the Operators Manual for Civilian vehicles. It tells you where all the lighs, switches, etc are located and what they do.

Warthog

markg

I picked up this 1986 M1009 with 12,500 original miles and it shows, this baby is CLEAN. I have had it about a week an it's been running like a champ until today.

I turns over but does not want to start up, the fuel filter is getting fuel, but that's all I know how to check at this point. Any quick tips would be great guys.

I'm open to hiring a diesel mechaning to come out to Cedar Park, Texas if anyone knows someone in the area. I'm just North of Austin.

Great website that I'm sure to be checking in on now that I found a very nice M1009.

Thanks In Advance,

Russ
im in hutto, be glad to help you out after christmas. send me a pm and ill give you my number. ill bet i can get you going on the phone. ive got lots of parts for these trucks. im in the country and work at the house so im available anytime. thanks merry christmas

Last edited:

markg

ive owned over 100 of these trucks, ive sold over 50 on ebay alone. ive never had one with over 50k. the 4.56 gears, the rough ride, and no music makes people want to stay out of them. ive had an 86 m1009 with 3600 miles. it was new!! i have right now an m1010 ambulance with 7800 miles. i have pictures posted of it in another thread. look for yourself. thanks, merry christmas
my trusty 1028 you see to the left has 34k. ive had it for almost 8yrs and can trace its history back to ft hood, tx.

Last edited:

fuzzpuss

Welcome to SS I am new here too and I own a 1009 that had an original 36,000 when I bought it and it shows... but all the years of sitting have taken a toll on it. I got lots of corroded electrical connections, a few deteriorated vacuum lines and floorboard rust thru, just from sitting. So don't be suprised when you look at the fuse block and pull some fuses just to see corrosion. I would also recommend pulling up the old floor mat and looking for rust. Welcome!!!

rnd-motorsports

Welcome to the site a great bunch of peaple . go under members rides and look for carnac may find some useful info! I got my m1028 with 15580 miles and was able to verify orignal miles I have the gov. in service papers and some main. records but most inportant the decomision papers with date and miles the truck was decomisioned becouse of a taillight short May of 1992 truck is a 1985 runs and drives like new rubber seals and things had to be replced but understandable it sat in arizona I like the no rust anyplace.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And there are TONS OF THESE TRUCKS THAT ARE LOW MILES

Don't believe for one second that ALL the CUCV's turned over 100k. I own TWO that if they went over 100k, they were then REBUILT BY CHEVROLET, because they do not drive LIKE they had any miles on them.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/59498-nos-usmc-m1028-norway-storage.html

His has less than 5k when that thread was posted

2310 - Passenger Motor Vehicles at Government Liquidation

THAT M1010 sold for $13k plus fees. And it had SEVENTY THREE MILES ON IT.

So do not believe that ALL CUCV's are worn out 100k junkers that are not worth the effort.

NOTHING COULD BE FURTHER FROM THE TRUTH...

And welcome to SS and the green iron disease. The only cure is to buy more green iron.

raf32

I believe the mileage because I looked at over 30 CUCV vehicles before this one. The interior and body are very clean and the underbody and components are very nice, windshield is spotless and most of the body rubber trim parts are in great shape. The metal floor boards on the front driver and passenger are without any rust and all the green floor board paint is intact. Even the brake pedal rubber cover looks like the bottom of a new shoe. The body had no rust before the repaint and the engine bay looks good.
It is by far the cleanest I've seen. Does anyone know 100% for sure? Of course not, but this one gives every many good indicators of it.

The vehicle ran like a champ, then over over the course of a day began to take longer to crank, now it turns over but just won't start.

Hopefully it's not the fuel injection pump and something simple.

I'm happy to pay someone in the are to come take a look at it in the Austin area.

Last edited:

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
The vehicle ran like a champ, then over over the course of a day began to take longer to crank, now it turns over but just won't start.

I'm happy to pay someone in the are to come take a look at it in the Austin area.

I'm gonna go with the IP going south, sorry. . . but based on your description, thats what it sounds like.

If filters have been checked and you have fuel at the IP when cranking. . . .

mf5129

have you served in the military or the national guard?all the cucvs are assigned to the guard units.they are used as support vechicles and training.most average less than a thousand miles per year.most that have high milage are used in a active duty base for primally security work.i have one with 7,500 miles one with 11140 miles one with 34680 miles one with 58904 miles.and one residue m1009.all but one are from my local nc army national guard.

fuzzpuss

I'm happy to pay someone in the are to come take a look at it in the Austin area.[/QUOTE]

My blazer did the exact same thing ran great then got worse and worse starting over the course of the day then finally nothing!

I traced my down to the injection pump but have not had the time to work on it today or tomorrow... maybe sunday?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks