• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My first trip to the sand dunes with my M1009

dunedigger

Towed up my little camper about 170 mi to Silver Lake Sand dunes for opening weekend. Just before I got there I overheated the tranny on the bigger hills on the west side of the state. I really didn't think it was enough weight to do that in these temps but I was way wrong. I put in a tranny cooler at the campground and so far is still ok. Did much better than I expected on the sand but not even comparable to my sand truck :grin: Was still fun to drive around out there.

Attachments

Ridgerunner

Not alot of people up there yet I see. I'm going to try to make it to the dunes myself, a few times this summer. You should paint your trailer OD so it dosn't clash with the blazer.

IRWFO

Just before I got there I overheated the tranny on the bigger hills on the west side of the state. I really didn't think it was enough weight to do that in these temps but I was way wrong.

3.08 gears in a 5k lbs+ truck pulling a trailer with only a little over 100hp will do it.

dunedigger

Not alot of people up there yet I see. I'm going to try to make it to the dunes myself, a few times this summer. You should paint your trailer OD so it dosn't clash with the blazer.

It was a huge turnout for opening weekend. They were turning non dune ready people away because the parking lot was full. We waited in line for 1 hour and 45 min to get in. Lot of fun. I won't be bulling that trailer much with the M1009, my dune truck is blue and the camper is in the middle of a makeover that will include some vinyl wrap to go with my sand truck.

dunedigger

3.08 gears in a 5k lbs+ truck pulling a trailer with only a little over 100hp will do it.

I knew better too, planed on putting a cooler on. Was talking it over the night before I left with a friend and we have both never had issues with similar trucks. I have tranny coolers in most of my trucks but after this weekend that will change to all of them.

dunedigger

Good lookin rig. what cooler assy. did you use?
I was a long way from home so my options were limited. I went to the local Napa near the sand dunes and they had one in stock rated to pull over 10,000lbs so I bought that one. It's a napa brand box. Was able to put it in by taking the grille out. Was glad to see the grille slides out without removing the brush gaurd.

Westech

CPL
I want to go back.. it was a blast.. we stayed at a really nice camp ground just a couple miles away with showers and all that. I had the deuce there too and was romping around with that for a day.

dunedigger

I took some video of a duce out there a few years back. It was driving in the water holes a lot. I've seen some apc's out there and some military humvee's that the guys from the grayling or lansing base were driving out there. Always fun to see what shows up around there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks