• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My Flexplate Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krausk

Ok so I posted back last summer about my engine making a growling sound. Let me say that I searched high and low for information about a bad flex plate and or bolts. I only found one video online and mine really didn’t sound like this so I was thinking maybe I had a bad transmission pump on my 87 model with the 6.2 diesel. Due to work and life I just put it away last year. I got it out couple weeks ago and removed all the necessary crap to be able to remove the flywheel cover. Low and behold there were NO bolts left in their respective holes holding the flex plate to the crankshaft. So, I’m now just waiting for my replacement bolts. Only thing I’d like to know is what are the torque values - I don’t want to read the manual either. I’d appreciate the help. Anyway GM products truly do suck. They couldn’t put a dimes worth of loctite on the bolts at the factory? Really? First rate manufacturing processes there. Have a good one and thanks for the help.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok so I posted back last summer about my engine making a growling sound. Let me say that I searched high and low for information about a bad flex plate and or bolts. I only found one video online and mine really didn’t sound like this so I was thinking maybe I had a bad transmission pump on my 87 model with the 6.2 diesel. Due to work and life I just put it away last year. I got it out couple weeks ago and removed all the necessary crap to be able to remove the flywheel cover. Low and behold there were NO bolts left in their respective holes holding the flex plate to the crankshaft. So, I’m now just waiting for my replacement bolts. Only thing I’d like to know is what are the torque values - I don’t want to read the manual either. I’d appreciate the help. Anyway GM products truly do suck. They couldn’t put a dimes worth of loctite on the bolts at the factory? Really? First rate manufacturing processes there. Have a good one and thanks for the help.
Well I'm busy this weekend maybe I'll have time to search next week.
Well I had a spare minute only needed
(0.42 seconds) first hit has them

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=HMMWV+flexplate+bolt+torque

Last edited:

dilvoy

From memory, 60 lb ft for the flex plate bolts. Flex Plates cost less than $100 so it is a good thing to replace, because your bolts fell out somehow and the ring gear does wear, especially if the vehicle was difficult to start.

Krausk

Flexplate new bolts new blah blah. I’ll just check a GM website for forqur values thanks for those who do help.

Action

were the bolts in the cover when you took it off? How did you start the humvee without the flexplate attached to the motor?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This dude is in for a rude awakening about HMMWVs when (soon) his glow plugs and controller fry, alternator burns out, transfer case vampires, CV joints blow, Cadillac valve and fan clutch crap out, starter breaks off, IP dies, wheel passes him up . . .

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The dowl pin was probally the only thing keeping everything spinning together. I would have to give GM kudos for this one. They make really strong dowl pins!!!!!!!! But as far as the bolts go. Someone in a motor pool somewhere left them out. There isn't enough room for them to back all the way out. Even if they could have, They would have broken the trans case or cover as there is very clearance between them. It would have been inspected at some point in 20 years making that noise. So a factory miss step it highly un likely. It is highly likely the engine was replaced in service. Any way once you get it back together, I hope you have fun with it.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FWIW, here's your last thread. You had diagosed it as needing an engine, then a transmission pump.

All relevant to your current issue(saves everyone asking the same questions again).

Next time, simply update your existing thread.

I've closed this thread due to the "attitude".

If you'd like more help, PM me and I may reopen it for you.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Glad the attitude here was so helpful. Even more so when I get emails from people saying to delete their accounts from it. There was wrong from all sides here. But this group should be about sharing knowledge, not being condescending with it.

No more let me google it for you links either. New rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks