• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My FMTV arrived today.

MaiNiaK

I had read the TM's. Fan switch was off and all the vents capped. I have them downloaded to my iPad for easy access.

I had planned to change all the fluids anyways. Changed the frontend and rearend this morning, no signs of any water. Waiting on filters so I can change the oil and transmission fluids.

I don't plan to make a habit of going into the river with it. We where just checking out all the features and decided to let the little kids have some fun.

3dAngus

Now THAT looks like some good family fun.
Not many people on this planet that can do it the way you do.
ENJOY! And thanks for sharing the pics.

MaiNiaK

Thanks guy's.

gunboy, that's a nice gun you have there in your avatar.

This picture shows the river a little better. The river deposits gravel in a ridge almost right down the center. To the right side is mucky the left side is swift current. I backed out along that ridge of gravel to where the deep spot starts. The water was barely over my front cable step. The back bed was 16 inches to the water.
image.jpg

The lady with the white tank top is my wife, and the boy with the orange shirt is my son.
image.jpg

We did some fluid changes and checks today. But it's finnaly home up on the mountain.
image.jpgimage.jpg

turnkey

Heck take into the water go swimming and have a BBQ, on it as well a little water don't hurt it....Thats why they have something called seals to protect axels and such things........Perfect jump platform.......Summer truck....do the maintence when ever...have fun with it...

Rmtaunton

Congrats on truck , hey 99 percent of us use them for fun and parades but do watch the matenence parts are pricy and heavy

And your right a smile or several makes all of it worth it !

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am hearing from folks that have used the FMTVs for flood rescue work that the axles are not getting water intrusion like we see with the old gen deuces and 5 tons.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you got that cover back together... thing was a PITA to rip off, even in the morning down here... seems like anytime I look at these trucks I sweat through my shirt...

MaiNiaK

I used ratchet straps to hold the frame together, which gave me some hooks to hang gear from. The cover itself was heavy and hard to get on top of the frame. (The wife helped) It was after 2 when I finnaly got the cover into place and by that time I was sweating bullets. It gets hot inside these covers fast.
Now I'm just trying to figure out what kind of patch I'll use. There is one seem that needs mending at the top of the roll up side, but you can't really tell with the cover on properly. (Front section of side pictured) Then there's a couple spots I plan to reinforce where it rubs the frame.

The wife thought I was crazy when I grabbed the hammock and said I was going to put it in the truck. But after hanging it in the center from the front and rear steel frame and plopping into it she realized just how strong the frame is. She then wanted a turn.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks