• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My Fort Carson Recovery Epic

ChrisInSantaFe

I bought an M105A2 and an M101A2 from Ft. Carson. Previewed them after purchase and they seemed good to go for a road trip to Santa Fe (~320 mi). My EUC cleared last week, and I made an appointment for 8:00 on Tuesday for the recovery. The plan was that my dad would drive his Ford Ranger (4.0L) up to his sister's house in Pueblo on Monday, and I would drive my 1 ton Chevy to a work gig in Farmington, then on to meet up with him in Pueblo so we could head the 1 hour up to Ft. Carson Tuesday morning. All went well until my truck died on Wolf Creek Pass (about half way between the hairpin and the ski area). My initial diagnosis was fuel pump (having previously had five pumps die on me over the years). That did turn out to be the case, which puts my at 6 and I feel beyond my fair share.

Anyway, Reggie from Piedra Automotive in Pagosa had me up on the flatbed within an hour (luckily had 1 bar on my cel phone up there). I went out and had dinner with the shop owners, Susan and Bill and some of their friends while my wife drove the three hours up from Santa Fe to get me (she offered). I drove home, faxed the paid in full invoice with the permission for my father to do the recovery up to GL at Fr. Carson, and was in bed by 2AM.

My father made arrangements in Pueblo which included getting his sister to bribe the neighbor, with lasagne, to go up to Ft. Carson with him in the morning (neighbor has a 3/4 ton p/u). Recovery went well on their end, and neighbor brought the M105A2 back to Pueblo. Dad brought the M101A2 home with no problems. He left the top on, and reported the haul to be comfortable at 60MPH but harder at 75.

Piedra called on Thursday, confirmed my diagnosis, and said the truck would be ready in the afternoon. I got on my motorcycle and had a nice drive up there, although I did ride through a good thunderstorm (and, of course, had to stop and help pull a Harley out of the mud where a wind gust had sent it just north of Chama). The truck was ready when I got to Pagosa at about 4:15, but was blocked in the shop by another truck behind it. The total bill with the tow off Wolf Creek Pass was just under $1G - ouch. It was 5:30 by the time I got the bike loaded into the truck (using a handy dirt bank and borrowed ramp). Trip to Pueblo went well, gettting in about 9:30.

I got the trailer hooked up and then discovered that my magnetic lights were of no help since the light jack on my truck doesn't work! I've only had it a few months and never had occasion to check. Poor planning on my part, but I just decided 'f-it' and rolled out after a short visit and snack around 10:15PM. I had about the same experience (with top on as well - had a bed and some stuff in the back from my aunt) that 60 MPH was easy, but 75MPH was pushing it, especially on some of the passes. Anyway, no one rear ended me, I didn't get pulled over, and everything went well. Got in about 2:45AM.

Both trailers are in beautiful condition. The 101 was built in 1990, and the 105 looks about the same. Confirmed with an un-named contract mechanic at Fr. Carson that some colonel had ordered a bunch of trailers to have a full go-through (PM, paint, tops, all new air parts on the 105, etc.) just before sending them over to DRRMO. I am not complaining.

Now I just have to figure out what to do with that big trailer!

Attachments

mckeeranger

It's a shame you had some problems, but it looks like you have a couple of really nice trailers.

Just a suggestion; if you buy an M809 series 5-ton, they don't have in-tank, electric fuel pumps. That would solve your recurring problem forever. :wink:

ChrisInSantaFe

"Also did you notice what is on GL in Santa Fe?"

Yeah, that's the kicker to the whole story. Let me know if you need me to preview anything - I can do it on the 23rd.

TucsonVTXF

Chris sorry you had problems, I was lucky i had no problems on my 810 mile ride each way from tucson. My tail light adaptor worked great after i switched out to 12 volt bulbs checked tire air pressures added air. could not hook up my saftey chains because they were too short but fixed that by welding a 20 inch loop of chain to my reciever to work as an extension.. other than that a long ride thru the desert.................

Attachments