• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My Friend just bought a M1009

TheWeatherMan

He just won one off of GL, I am sure he will get a profile on here soon. Anyways I am the one towing it down for him, GL said its not running. Anything we should expect and how hard it it to get them running again.

Also is there anyone on here from the NW suburbs of chicago that would be willing to lend us their expertise to get this one back on the road?

Oldsouthernboy

not running can mean from needing new batteries, no alternators, no belts, bad engine, or it just may be dead batteries, new fuel in the tank and a good crank. Do not use starting fluid to kick the engine over. A rag with some gas on held to the air filter will work but only after the glow plugs cycle. But still risky.

sierrajcharlie

:ditto:I got mine from McCoy just about a year ago, listed as "running condition unknown." Had gone up and looked them over before bidding. We called up and told them when we'd be there to get it. They had time so they tried to jump it, popped right off. When we got there we just had to hit the key and drive it on the trailer. I don't know if my experience is the norm but it sure was nice! It's had some issues but it's my DD and it's getting better all the time. Have fun with it!!!

K9Vic

All mine needed was new batteries and it fired right up.
Same with mine, it was sitting in a Texas farm field for like 5-6 years and added one front fresh battery and slaved jumped it. Took about 30 seconds and it started, I first tried it with the old original batteries and did not fire. To save time I only added the one and it started. After sitting for that long I would have expected it to not start.

To OP: There is so much that can be why it does not start, but before you do try to start it make extra sure all fluids are full. I mean all of them, not just oil and trans to be sure everything has lubrication. They may have not said fluids drained as this is common for any truck that was slanted for salvage. Even if it was not set for salvage, the fluids may have been drained. If fluids are drained, look under the engine & trans to make sure it was not punched to drain. Others pretty much you can see, just inspect it well before you try and start it.

The YETI

When i got my 1008 all it needed was 2 battery terminals and one of the batteries charged to run.:p
But found out very soon the trans was junk.:(

spartan_185

You can never tell about GL's condition descriptions. I recently bought a M923 and in the description is said DOES NOT START DOES NOT RUN, but lo and behold I hooked the battery cables up and pressed the start button and she came to life. The same can be said for several trucks that I have purchased over the years.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks