• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My GMC, a little update

Gunfreak25

Much obliged, Jim. But All I need is the tranny to transfer driveshaft shaft assembly. Actually I can cut/reweld the 3 driveshafts that must be shortened/lengthened but I'll be taking them in to be professionally re-balanced.

If your parts truck has them I could really use a coolant temp sending unit and a fuel tank sending unit. My original was corroded beyond repair and I cannot find proper replacement.

Let me know if you need more tech info and let me know how much shipping comes to on the parts!

nattieleather

I was interested in how you were going to turn them on and off. Are you going to use a control box out of a HMMWV or set up a relay. Even in the heat of summer you will find you'll need to glow plugs to kick on and off even if just for a few seconds for the motor to start properly. I'm doing a simual set up in a M37 staying stock 24V so I'm trying to find ideas on how to cycle to glow plugs.

Barrman

The best manual controller for a 6.2 glow plug system I have ever heard of is this: 8 second switch for police shot gun racks in police cars. Sermis installed one on his M725 when he put in the 6.2. It works great. Push the button, 8 seconds later it turns off and the plugs have done their job. Just push it again on those cold mornings when the engine fires but is chuffing and blowing blue smoke for after glow.

Just to explain, some police cars have the shotgun mounted vertically on the trans tunnel. The idea is for the office to have access to the weapon and nobody else. So, once the officer unlocks the weapon, he has 8 seconds to remove it or the lock shuts again. Just wanted to comment on a system I have seen work for a few years now, is cheap and simple.

As far as the build this thread is documenting. Great work. I have been lurking on this one since the start.

Gunfreak25

Well we have 114 degree summers but yes, I do plan to post up how to make a harness and push button switch outta nothing. This places carries a good selection of relay's.

relays continuous duty 12 volt & 24 volt DC power relays,starter relays

When I finish with my wiring i'll post up the details on how everything is setup. It's really, really simple and the factory harness's are all left original except for 1 single wire. The great thing is you should be able to copy it exactly since your M37's wiring is basically the same as every other M series out there.

Seatyger

Good Point Stan! My name is Jim Dalueg (Seatyger) of Woodstock, Ontario and you folks have been most generous in giving your time and Technical Support for Tom aka: Gunfreak25, The Kid, Junior or whatever name of record lol!
I myself have benefited greatly not only from the networking on this Thread in particular but The Early Deuce and Steel Soldiers as a whole.

If I can assist you guys in any way in acquiring parts and pieces or reference discs, let me know. I think its important for all of us to 'Row in the same direction' and keep these machines alive and running.

I have been fortunate to date in that I have not had any bad experiences or negative dealings with anyone afiliated here and this Early Deuce Crowd seems to be a self policing, proactive, leave the Ego at the Door bunch of green machine gearhead addicts!

Anyhow, where was I going with this......Oh Yeah, Tom, the parts (Subject to any adverse form of stuckness due to sitting dormant for a couple generations) will be Southbound next week.

Jim

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Air Hydraulic Cylinder

I'm Diggerdave, thanks to Stan.

After a brief email to Welcome to Precision Rebuilders.com I received a call today from Jim.....not you Jim, the other Jim, Jim from precision rebuilders.

We had a great conversation and he jumped on the Steel Soldiers site while we were on the phone. Technology magic.

They re-build airpaks but Jim says he has parts. His level of experience and the reference from Bendix gives me lots 'o' confidence. I'll chat with him again but if we can get an airpak to him maybe he can, budget, evaluate and see if they can make up a 'replacement' kit....Let's chat about some logistics.

Don't know if you'll ever get your MC Sir T Gunfreak. Just checked Canada Post and read this

2012/04/1801:18
International item has arrived in a foreign country

Gunfreak25

Yes. International item TO YOU. Foreign to me. I am foreign. Not you. I want my MC. :cookoo:

Your parts guy sounds friggin cool, please keep us updated with what you find!! Feel free to post it in this thread too.

Stan Leschert

For the glow plugs, just do what my old Land Cruiser had.

A Momentary ON switch will be more than enough.
If you can't count to 5 "Steamboats" before releasing the toggle switch,
you should not drive anything more complicated than a Toyota Tercell!

Last edited:

Gunfreak25

Seem's Stacey David's Gearz on the Speed Channel wants to put my M211 on their "what are you working on" portion of the TV show at the end. Was told it will be on an unspecified episode on the new upcoming season.

So set your boxes to record folk's. A great show to watch anyway! When I find out what episode it will be on I will post it up of course.

Truck Updates
-Received York 210 with NPT Kilby fittings, how nice of the guy to throw them in free!!
Torn down for new clutch bearing, gaskets, seals, oil mod, crankcase vent, paint, etc.

Going to my favorite Mil-Surp salvage yard tomorrow to look at a shop compressor too.

Finished more carpeting.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 211 Story

After the story about the family wanting you to have a civic, the past history of the truck, the delivery to your house, the original plan/ tear down, parts hunt, parts appearing magically, moving trani's in the dirt............Dons' barbecuing and Grams incredible dinners, you've got quite a build to talk about....

That's pronounced "a boot", for your TV fans.

Carma buddy

Seatyger

Brother I know I'm 3 parts Deaf from waaaaay tooo many very large caliber rounds being fired as an adult....and I have been almost everywhere there is to go in North America. All points in Canada and I have NEVER heard anyone say or pronounce anything as 'A Boot' unless it was referring to a boot??? As in heavy duty footwear.

Is this part of a joke started in the US where English is a second language????? :beer:

Seatyger

No Brush painting here armytruck63 lol! One of the greatest memories I have military wise involves a Marine Corp Sgt who was of Cajun decent............which can trace back to the Acadian French of East Coast Canada. We drove each other nuts trying to speak and understand each others 'Slang' and worked it out with an adult version of sign language. I swear to this day he was just messing with me but he was able to keep it up for a solid 10 weeks!

We had a formal 'Graduation' parade at the end and it was 102 degrees out. My Platoon was situated in the front of the reviewing stand. I was the Platoon LT and I had a young Marine to my immediate right with the American Flag. Unfortunately the Marine fainted just before the March Past, in front of the reviewing Officers from Camp Pendleton.

I couldnt help the kid when he faceplanted but I grabbed the US Flag before it hit the ground. Not knowing what to do, I just tucked it into my right side. A brief time later i could hear footsteps approaching from the rear.

Here came Scott, in full dress, he was sitting with the Brass in the reviewing stand and raced around to march up from behind. He came to a crisp stop, came to attention, reached over with his left hand grabbed the flag like it was a rehearsed drill.

Then, the Bugger in perfect clear English...........'The United States Marine Corps and The United States of America thanks you for not allowing our Flag to fall'

I was kinda dumbfounded because I could instantly understand him, I thought I cocked my head ever so slightly to see him out of the corner of my eye and he winked. At that point I let out a stupid grin that did not go un noticed by the Parade Regimental Sergeant Major, which in turn cost me a small fortune in Beer to rectify. We completed the March Past with Scott carrying the Flag.

That was 31 years ago this upcoming summer. Sadly, I was told Scott was killed in a helicopter training accident about a year later.

Gunfreak25

Great story, Jim! I can tell when you's been drinkin'! :mrgreen:

Well the compressor I was after turned out to be a 3 phase unit and was frozen solid with rust. I noticed a 30 gallon gas compressor sitting in the corner and he is going to take a look at it for me in a few day's, to make sure it works and everything! It is this model here:

Amazon.com: Jenny Compressors GT8HGB-30T 8-HP 30-Gallon Tank Gas Powered Two-Stage Stationary Service Vehicle Compressor: Home Improvement

I think it would look great painted green and bolted to the cargo bed behind the cab. It would be a KILLER mobile sandblasting rig for anyone in the business. Hmmm.......

Seatyger

Hello Kid! Of Course I've been drinking LOL, Its NHL Playoff Hockey Time and My Team is still in the running! Is that the York Compressor you were waiting for thats all messed up?

Gunfreak25

Okay! A little update. Business has been great. Oiled the 6.2's cylinders a few days ago, soaked and cranked the motor over by hand for the 1st time since buying it. Cranks smooth, no seized pistons. Dumped 2 gallons of new Rotella in and a 2 quart Napa Gold Oil filter.

Picked up 3 new tires today. 2 are Titan T Hawk's in 97% condition and the 3rd is brand spanking new never used. $75 each with rims and already inflated. I traded my old wheels in as "cores". I put the Titans on the front axle and the 3rd will be the spare.

Probably pick up 3 more in a couple week's. New tires are SOOO sexy.. It really makes a truck feel less like a tank riding on rotted tracks and more like a Chevy on new Mickey Thompsons. :D

Finally put the finishing touches on the 7.3 fuel filter to work with the 6.2 fuel system. I decided to go with all rubber hose fuel lines and hose barbs. Very low pressure system and rubber lines are EASY to replace "in field" compared to steel.

Along with more tires I am also finally picking up 2 new batteries.

STILL LEFT TO DO
-Fire up engine
-Repair radiator
-Wheel cylinders
-Brake lines. SCREW making my own again. I will buy pre flared lines. CHEAP, EASIER, SAFER
-AIR PAK kit
-Adjust shoes
-Exhaust

This is all the major stuff. I am dirt tired but am on such a high from getting a bunch done today I am getting back to the workbench. Need more parts. Need more money. Must sleep later......Zzzzz Gotta slide in sideway's!

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With all the grief we have been giving other members about not posting pictures, wouldn't you think... :shock:

What is the problem with the radiator?

Section8

Wow Titan T hawks would be nice!!!
Since I just googled them to see what they look like. Insert sheapish smile here. To bad they aren't that cheap up here.
I hear what you were saying before on working in the dirt on these rigs. I am 6'2" and 220lbs.
Got my share of bang, ouch! Tool tossing! Then more cursing having to go retrieve said tool I just threw.
I also agree rubber lines are better for battle field fixes than hard lines.
I keep re reading your and Hendersond's threads. Definitely keeps me motivated!!
Can't wait till my to do list is just as short!!
Keep up the great work and inspiration for us younger recruits!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks