• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My "Go anywhere" M1010 mobile office/camper build.

Boats

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Although purchased in April, I didn't bring it "home" to Sioux City till July 2016. Then the fun starts!!! The glow plug system wasn't working properly... and it was on a push button switch on the dash. I got the replacement glow plug card from John at Hillbilly Wizard. Re-attached a couple wires, put in new card, did away with the push button wiring, and wa la!!! Glow plugs now work as they are supposed to!

Attachments

Last edited:

Boats

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Next up is the DUVAC removal, and Tachometer.

For those not familar with the M1010 charging system... The DUVAC system can be a real pain. And mine was no exception! Many thanks to m38inmaine and his write-up M1010 DUVAC removal Plan "B"!

Once the new 12 volt alternator was in place, it was time for a VDO tachometer. Thank you to Drewzee87t for his write-up on this subject!
The Tach used is the VDO 333-156.

Attachments

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks reasonably unmolested except half the back removed. The plan b is the end all of 1010 charging system problems. Mine has been done for years without any issues at all.

Boats

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So when my work up north was done, I drove my ambulance home to South Alabama. Now the fun begins!!! I wanted dual fuel tanks, a winch, and to start building my camper. Easy Peasy right???

I wanted the auxiliary tank set-up to look like it belonged there. The heater intake was exactly where the fuel filler needed to be. So I drilled out all the rivets and pulled it. Actually getting the duct work out on the interior was a PAIN!!! I modified the intake duct for the new position of the intake and re-installed. After cutting holes for the fuel filler hose and all the ensuing grumbling and cussing, I made a new plate for the fuel filler and added an outside plug to attach to a 110V source.

Attachments

Boats

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now for the winch. If you know that your travels will take you off-road, and you may not have anyone there to pull you out when you mess up... a winch just might be the ticket! It is for me anyway. But I want it to look as though it is supposed to be there. I got this "A" bomb center section from diy4x.com for a different project that never happened. So... why not modify it to fit my needs and use it!!! The holes left over from the original shackle holders were enlarged to enable fog lights to be placed there.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks great. I like the idea of the shore power. I've often contemplated the removal of the rear heater and installing a window A/C in the spot. I don't have the patience to troubleshoot that heater.

Boats

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So now we are up to around December-February 2017. Time work on the camper part now. I ran wire from under the hood to the box and came in (mostly) through the front drains. Also ran wire from the passenger side of the box to the driver side through through the drains. (I don't like a bunch of exposed wires.) I put a 200 amp battery Isolator NOCO IGD200HP between the starting batteries and the house batteries. A 12 volt 3000 watt inverter is being used at this time. Eventually I plan to replace it with a 24 volt pure sine inverter and wire everything up so that in emergency I can use the house batteries to jump start the truck. My apologies for not taking enough pictures!

Also, beginning the camper mods is a refrigerator, small cabinet, and homemade stand to get them up over the fuel filler and rear fender.

Attachments

Boats

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks great. I like the idea of the shore power. I've often contemplated the removal of the rear heater and installing a window A/C in the spot. I don't have the patience to troubleshoot that heater.
Recovery4x4, The shore power is GREAT!!! I like being able to plug in when I can and not always run off the batteries. Did you ever dual out your ambulance?

Boats

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Deer season 2016-17 is over in south Alabama, so my wife is now home and helping with the camper!!! (She does MUCH better wood work than me.) I do metal work. Not a fan of wood work. Truth be told... She did all the carpentry on the camper portion. Other than metal work and wiring...I was the gopher.

Attachments

Boats

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Late February 2017. I have a job to go to next month in Ohio. Time for a rattle can paint job!!! Rust-o-leum to the rescue!

Attachments

Boats

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mid March 2017, when I leave south Alabama it's a balmy 70+ degrees shorts and tee shirt weather. Somewhere along the trip to Ohio the original fuel filter base develops a leak. When I arrive in St. Clairsville, Ohio late Sunday night it's 14 degrees outside! My small leak has gotten bigger and leaking diesel all over the place! No idling/heater for me. I like to have frozen to death!!!!

After hiring in and at the end of the day, I went to an auto parts house and disconnected the fuel filter. Now it's a straight run, no filter till I can find a replacement. EBay to the rescue.... Here's the new set-up.

Attachments

Boats

Steel Soldiers Supporter
By May 2017 I have realized that although my ambulance is almost as good as a mountain goat, I need something more than the stock front open differential for climbing these mountains off-road. So on a rain-out day, I went to see Hillbilly Wizard for some extensive work to my front end. And I have to say I'm VERY pleased with his work! I like doing my own work. But, when I'm on the road I don't usually have the time or facilities to do my own work.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A person who pays attention. I have not touched the ambulance at all. Some days I threaten to sell it. Still like the dual idea. John over at Hillbilly Wizard is good folk.

Boats

Steel Soldiers Supporter
September 2017. I need a wider footprint. More stability. Turning around on the right of way can get pretty hairy on a slope in a top heavy vehicle!!! Time for it to be made into a dually! So, I took her back to Hillbilly Wizard for a 4" ORD shackle Flip and 1" zero rate's on the rear with new locally sourced rear springs. And 4" springs on the front with 1" zero rate's. Used DRW front hubs, and Arrow-craft dually adapters on the rear. (Wanted to keep my Corp. 14) A pair of aluminum trailer fenders, some aluminum angle, and a ton of stainless screws went into the rear fenders. Even with the 5" lift, she is surprisingly stable!!! John also at this time, installed a pillar pod and gauges along with a new injection pump as mine was getting rather weak and not wanting to climb the West Virginia mountains where I now work.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks