• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My "Go anywhere" M1010 mobile office/camper build.

Boats

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seeing your rekindles the fire. What size tires did you use? Looks great.
235/85 R16. I'm not planning on going any bigger. One of these days, I'm hoping to swap transmissions to something that will help on the highway speeds. I just haven't figured out what will be my best option yet. Also, currently in the works is a Banks turbo.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice looking camper build!

I have a M1028A2 with a S250 shelter and it is very stable with the dual rear wheels. I'm sure you will be much happier with the duals.

Keep the pictures coming.

Boats

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's been a while since I've updated on here... Got the Banks turbo installed, head studs, and pretty much rebuilt the top end. With so few miles on the odometer, I didn't think anything needed to be done to the bottom end of the motor.... Boy was I wrong!!!! She was pulling up and over the mountains in West Virginia wonderfully for about 250 miles. Then, BAM..... Broke a ring!!!!
She will live again, and I'll continue her build!

Last edited:

rustystud

It's been a while since I've updated on here... Got the Banks turbo installed, head studs, and pretty much rebuilt the top end. With so few miles on the odometer, I didn't think anything needed to be done to the bottom end of the motor.... Boy was I wrong!!!! She was pulling up and over the mountains in West Virginia wonderfully for about 250 miles. Then, BAM..... Broke a ring!!!!
She will live again, and I'll continue her build!
That is one of the most common problems after rebuilding the "Top End" of an engine especially after adding a "Turbo" . You've returned the engine to stock compression or beyond (with the Turbo) and now the old rings cannot handle the pressure.

Dock Rocker

That’s litterally the story of my off-roading career. Fix one component and get it like i want it and then I beak the next thing downstream from it.

LT67

That is one of the most common problems after rebuilding the "Top End" of an engine especially after adding a "Turbo" . You've returned the engine to stock compression or beyond (with the Turbo) and now the old rings cannot handle the pressure.
Exactly.... I'm not brave enough to put a turbo on my 6.2. I'll just leave it the way it is...

I do like the build of the M1010... very interesting.

Drock

Well boosting will reveal any bad parts. But the way I see it their just that, bad parts that would have failed anyway:shrugs: I installed the banks turbo at around 30,000 miles. It ran fine for about 20,000 miles till the head gaskets let go. But then any 30+ year old 6.2 is going to need head gaskets. I would imagine the broken ring issue experienced by boats, was from abuse of the previous owner, perhaps using starting fluid?

rustystud

Well boosting will reveal any bad parts. But the way I see it their just that, bad parts that would have failed anyway:shrugs: I installed the banks turbo at around 30,000 miles. It ran fine for about 20,000 miles till the head gaskets let go. But then any 30+ year old 6.2 is going to need head gaskets. I would imagine the broken ring issue experienced by boats, was from abuse of the previous owner, perhaps using starting fluid?
Very probably. At the transit department we used to use "brake clean" spray to get the old Detroits to fire off in winter. Spray some on a rag and hold it by the air cleaner intake. They would fire right off, but later in the summer they would start to burn oil really bad. So we would have to replace the rings or just put a whole new "jug" in it.

nyoffroad

Very probably. At the transit department we used to use "brake clean" spray to get the old Detroits to fire off in winter. Spray some on a rag and hold it by the air cleaner intake. They would fire right off, but later in the summer they would start to burn oil really bad. So we would have to replace the rings or just put a whole new "jug" in it.
Never heard of that before! It wouldn't work with todays 'safe' non flammable brake cleaner, my how time have changed. BTW are you referring to the old Detroit 2 stroke?

Boats

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello again! I’ve been working/tinkering on my ambulance. Engine rebuilt, turbo in place. Both alternators on driver’s side.
I REALLY don’t like the setup of the alternators!!! Especially since there’s no place for the a/c compressor. So, I modified the stock M1010 alternator brackets to clear the turbo, and allow for the top alternator. Here are some pictures.

Attachments

Boats

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’ve been lacking on updates. In mid April, I finished the driver’s side alternator bracket using a slightly modified d/s bracket from a M1008.
Also changed the single v groove pulley to a double v groove pulley to allow for an a/c compressor (at a later date). Hera are some pictures.

Attachments

Boats

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yesterday I stripped the 30+ year old weatherstrip off the rear doors. It took 4 packages of new weatherstrip to replace. Stripping the old adhesive off was a pain! The doors seal up nicely now!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks