• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My ignition is sticking.

seabee mike

Lately it seem the colder it gets the harder it is to turn the key. today it was 2* and it took two hands to turn it. I have a new key and ignition but don't know how to remove it.

unaffiliated

Not sure how to remove it either but my switch is hard to turn sometimes too. I found that if I pull up slightly on the shifter with my left hand and turn the key with my right it moves freely. Try that, maybe it will help. I think you have to pull the steering wheel to replace tumbler. Check the TM's.

steelandcanvas

If you want to lube it, do not use WD-40! Get a can of Houdini from a locksmith supply. It's a spray lubricant designed especially for locks. This info is per the locksmith where I work, he's been locksmithing for about 30 years.

cmroles

Not sure how to remove it either but my switch is hard to turn sometimes too. I found that if I pull up slightly on the shifter with my left hand and turn the key with my right it moves freely. Try that, maybe it will help. I think you have to pull the steering wheel to replace tumbler. Check the TM's.
Replacing the ignition tumbler isn't difficult, but it does require pulling the steering wheel. I replaced mine to ensure that one of my next door neighbors couldn't buy a key on EBAY and go joy-riding.

1. Pull steering wheel
2. Pull the dust cover and lock plate (the retaining ring can be a PITA)
3. Pull out turn signal switch (don't forget the hazard light button!)
4. Remove ignition cylinder retaining screw
5. Remove ignition cylinder (if I remember right I had to have the key in the cylinder and turn it to get to release from the column).

There isn't any reason to drop the column, so you don't need to pull the trim around it or take the bolts out of the bracket.

Also, don't forget to mark your steering wheel so it goes back on in the exact same orientation.

cmroles

Thank you! I need to change it out sometime soon but I may go see the lock smith first.
I picked up the lock cylinder at NAPA for around $20. I then took the door locks down a locksmith I know and had the door cylinders re-keyed to match the new ignition for $15 each. Total job cost about $50.

I didn't bother with the tailgate since there isn't actually a lock cylinder in the crank (or a back window either....).

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just change it. They do go bad.

Barrman

It could also be the rod going from the key down the column to the actual switch. My USAF Suburban had the "two hands and snap a fingernail" effort to turn the key in the cold. I swapped out key cylinders and it didn't help. Middle or lower column problem.

Yours could very well be just the key part. Just wanted to pass along what else to look at if your fix doesn't do it.

M1008driver

Replacing the ignition tumbler isn't difficult, but it does require pulling the steering wheel. I replaced mine to ensure that one of my next door neighbors couldn't buy a key on EBAY and go joy-riding.
Not hard, but a PITA if you don't do it all the time. My brother is a locksmith and made it look easy. Sometimes it is better to know someone or just pay.

K9Vic

I just changed one out and it is easy to do, you do need two special tools in order to do this repair. The steering wheel lock plate tool is about $20 w/tax and a steering wheel puller about the same price. You should be able to rent these from most auto parts store, I had the puller and purchased the lock plate tool so I had it for the future.

There are plenty of videos on Youtube on how to do this repair and any column from around that time is the same general concept.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks