• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My latest dump project

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a pic of my latest dump project. On this one I used a civilain dump bed and trans PTO to run the pump. After my failed attempt to fip the PTO and to find a reasonably priced accessory drive, I ended up mounting the pump in front of the PTO. The pump is mounted beside the engine under the IP. It accually worked out nicely. The only drawback as you can no longer power a winch if you wanted to add one.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would like to see pics of the pump mounting. I have been considering doing the same thing.

runk

:ditto:
I want to swap to a hydraulic drive for the winch, like an A3. (Plus hydraulics for a bed crane, dump, etc. in my copious free time)

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No rush, Thanks

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
That looks good,I have built 3 - 5 ton dumps with civilian bodies.Right now I am making a dump out of a M916.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This truck was accually built for my uncle's construction business. This was alot easier conversion than my truck (a m35a2c dump with original bed) because it had a subframe that the hoist and the hinge was already made in to. The bed was basicly just set on there, welded some angles to the subframe that lined up with the original bed attachment points on the truck frame, and bolted it down.

I will say a t-case pto pump (what my truck has) is easier and a cleaner setup than a front mounted trans pto pump. My uncle had used my truck and didn't like all the steps required to run the pump with the t-case pto (shift t-case to netural, shift the main trans in gear, and shift the pto lever) becuase of the hired help that would be driving them. All the trans pto requires is to shift one lever and let the clutch out. The only reason I say that the front mounted pump is not as "clean of setup" as the t-case pto pump is because of the extra hose required to run from the pump to the bed and trying to tie it up out of the way.

The reason I went with the civilain bed was because he sees this truck as a work truck and isn't concerned about keeping the military look (although I'd submit it looks an awful lot like a military deuce dump), he already had the bed on an old junk truck, and this bed is alot tougher than the standard cargo bed. He also gave me the old dropside bed that came off the truck. :D

More pics to come.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's some more pics. One of the pics shows the dump control knob mounted to the dash. Another pic shows the extended PTO shift lever I put in. My uncle who owns this truck has had a mild stroke and is a little weak on his right side. I made the lever longer and installed a softer spring in the PTO detent to make it easier for him to shift.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks