• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My lights get brighter on my A3......

Hooper

For some reason when my air compresor runs my voltage surges and all my light get brighter. It will go away as soon as the compressor shuts off. Any ideas?

HASSON1911

I've had the same problem. but i've only recently noticed it after i installed my 6 flood lights. and i know my belts are tight. i was curious about it too.

shenkmen

Clearly the pressurized air in the tanks is back-feeding the air compressor and spinning your alternator and engine faster.

Just kidding.

Crawdaddy

Seems to me like the idle's a little low or the alt's not putting out the specified power at idle and when the additional load of the compressor hits the engine, the rpms rise enough to bring the alt voltage up to where it should be.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, it pegs to the right.
Where is the meter at when idling? Is it on the mark as it should be. As others have said, the only thing in common is the belt. You can usually look at the belt and see if it has been slipping. You might want to just go ahead and replace the belt since it probably needs it anyway if you haven't changed it since recovery.

For some reason when my air compresor runs my voltage surges and all my light get brighter. It will go away as soon as the compressor shuts off. Any ideas?

My voltage occasionally surges too when my headlights are on. I don't think there is any relationship to the compressor though. The voltage meter always sits right where it should in the green without the headlights on. I have noticed when the headlights get brighter the meter is pegged to the max.

Hooper

My voltage occasionally surges too when my headlights are on. I don't think there is any relationship to the compressor though. The voltage meter always sits right where it should in the green without the headlights on. I have noticed when the headlights get brighter the meter is pegged to the max.

Yes, it always does it when first started and then on occasion as I drive and yes the head lights do get brighter when the needle pegs to the right. It returns to the green after a few minutes. The belt looks new so I guess I will not worry about it.

G-Force

Ummm....correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the compressor belt just run down to the crank pulley and the alternator belt run around the crank and water pump pulley? I would put a digital volt meter on the alternator output and see what the voltage is when the dash needle pegs. It sounds like you're losing your ground for your alternator and its basically full fielding the alternator and will eventually fail.