• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

my local salvage yard has been crushing deuces *tears*

Maverick1701

I am suprised the M35 jedi havent felt this disturbance in the force yet...

The last time I stopped by the local salvage yard in lufkin,tx (about 6mo ago) they had about 19-22 deuces of all configurations/colors (shop, cargo, tanker, firetrucks etc)

I called up there today asking about some parts
Here is how todays conversation went:
Salvage guy: "the guy who handles the military trucks is out but I am pretty sure he only sells off the axles"
Chris: "well what happens to the rest of the truck"
Salvage guy: "I am pretty sure they are scrapped and crushed"
Chris: ".....(long awkward pause on the phone).....no seriously what happens to the rest of the truck"
Salvage guy: " they get scrapped"

I dont know how many they have left but I am going to swing by weds and take a look (and yes get some pix). I might try and save one but it depends on the money

TexAndy

You think they'd sell parts off them?

Nacogdoches is about a 6 hour drive for me, but I'll drive up there with wrenches, time, and money if it means I can salvage parts for a good price.

Maverick1701

You think they'd sell parts off them?

Nacogdoches is about a 6 hour drive for me, but I'll drive up there with wrenches, time, and money if it means I can salvage parts for a good price.

I dont know, I am going to up there weds to find out and try to convince the guy to start keeping trucks instead of crushing em

TexAndy

Don't forget the pics.

Yeah, I need a couple of cab tops, some cab hardware, a cargo top, some bows and uprights, slave cable, gladhands and hoses...

Some spare lights, MCs, WCs, lines, hoses, belts, and tires wouldn't be bad, either.

Standing by for your report. ;-)

Carl_in_NH

A scrappy is there to make money - they don't have the same attachment to something in the yard that you or I might. It's all just iron and steel by weight - unless they have a ready market for some parts. Trouble is, if they just have a handfull of trucks of a specific type, it would cost them more to hang on to them and have them taking up space in the yard than they could make selling a few parts here and there.

Seen the same thing time and again with machine tools; an old machine that one of us that likes manual machinery would give their eye teeth for is nothing more than a pile of rusty iron to be turned into beer money. Our history gets shreadded every day, only to be shipped to China and sold back to us as some piece of junk we didn't really need in the first place.

-Carl

SEAFIRE

The Texas Forest Service Yard is in Lufkin. Since you mentioned fire trucks I would imagine your scrapyard may be getting some of those trucks from the Forest Service Yard auctions.

All the military trucks the Fire Departments in Texas get through the FEPP go through Lufkin first to get checked out, if they don't "pass" the mechanics inspection they are stripped and sold at auction.

We get a lot of parts from the Lufkin Yard free of charge. A sister Fire Department that had a M35A2 with a bad engine recently got another engine brought down from the Lufkin Yard.

When the Fire Departments have no use for the trucks anymore they go back to Lufkin and are either distributed to other Fire Departments or stripped and put up for auction as well.

The guy from Lufkin who brought us our last truck said that when they have their auctions, the buyers are mainly looking for the axles. Most of the trucks I've seen go back to Lufkin to be auctioned off are pretty much trashed.

Last edited:

Maverick1701

don't forget the pics.

Yeah, i need a couple of cab tops, some cab hardware, a cargo top, some bows and uprights, slave cable, gladhands and hoses...

Some spare lights, mcs, wcs, lines, hoses, belts, and tires wouldn't be bad, either.

Standing by for your report. ;-)

report incomming eta 3 mins (pics/vids downloading)

Maverick1701

so good news and bad news

bad news: they have a new manager who wouldnt let me get back into the main lot and check out the deuces. He told me I had to wait until the guy who is in charge of the trucks gets back thursday but he doesnt think they are selling parts off of em except for the axles.

Good news: I was able to drive around behind the lot and get some pictures from the roadway.

the 1st two pictures are of a deuce on a hill

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

The 3rd pic you can see the back 1/2s of 2-3 deuces but they are being blocked by another truck

Keith_J

Whats steel up to now'a days, mabe match the price and say 10% in an offer for them. Boy what a shame to see them end existance like that when theres surely alot of good parts in those trucks.
Under $2 a hundred. That cash for clunkers program didn't have a bit of influence in driving it down.

Far more value in the parts than scrap.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What a shame. The desert tan truck looks to be in great shape from this side of it.

Scrap prices are still depressed (or my Brother would take his scrap in) so why just scrap the rest?

Stubborn maybe?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks