• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My Lube Trailer Over Haul

jasonjc

Well I have been working on my lube trailer again. I took it apart and started to sand blast it a few years ago. But "stuff" came up and it got put on the back back burner. Well it got pulled back out here a few weeks ago. I started by presure washing it with hot water and TSP. Then 2 coats of rustoluem rusty metal primer (no pic of this batterys were dead) Then 2 coats of Gillespie "383" green. (only 1 coat as of these pics)This is all on the under side so far. Hope to trun it back over this weekend and paint the top side.

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Looks REAL sharp! It always amazes me how bad things look at first and how well they clean up with some effort.

jasonjc

Well I got the trailer truned back over today.

Anyone planing to build a shop, steel truss are great for alot of things.:p

I would have taken pic of the flip but it when so fast I did think about it. It took longer to get the ladder out to hang the 2nd chain hoist and take back down and put away, then it did to flip the trailer.

I love it when a plan comes together:p

Attachments

jasonjc

Well my lube trailer got kick out of the shop to day for a paying coustmer. So it will be a few weeks befor I can get back to it.aua Hopfully I can get the trailer done and start on the lube box part over X-mas break. I'd lock myself in the shop to work on it but the 4 yr old has found the key and knows how to use it:shock: Maybe I can put her to work:idea: Heres some pic's in the daylight.

Attachments

jasonjc

Well i got the hub off one side to check the brakes and wheel brearings.
Found out I need a 3 3/8" socket. The hub seals seem to be made of gold atleast the part store thinks so $57.99 each:shock:. I think they are fine:neutral: Brake shoes look new so they are good to go. I will rebuild the wheel cylinders, just got to fine the kits,maybe the deuce ones will fit? Have not open one up yet to check size. The wheel bearings have some kind of blue grease on them that is more like rubber cement:-? you pull it and it snaps back, but still fells greasey. So not shure what it is. Will clean and repack them.

Attachments

Crazyguyla

jasonjc;724689I'd lock myself in the shop to work on it but the 4 yr old has found the key and knows how to use it:shock: Maybe I can put her to work:idea: Heres some pic's in the daylight.[/QUOTE said:
Put her to work ;) Here's pictures of my 6 yr old replaceing the tin screws on the wife's VW Bug, and tightening the oil drain plug and halfshaft bolts on my AMC Eagle. She's waiting for me to get back home so we can go to Nonna's and work on the big green truck. ;)

Attachments

jasonjc

I got the brakes pulled apart to day. I see that it has the linkage for a parking brake,but no cable and the back plate has a plate over the hole a cable would go thought.

The wheel cyclinders are an 1 1/4" with a 3 pice cup piston seal.

The frist wheel cyclinder I took off and looked inside of looked new on one side but was full of rust on the other side.:(But the other 3 looked good almost new. The seals need replaced thought,now to find those.

Attachments

Reactions: JB

jasonjc

Well the seals for the wheel cyclinders seem to made of unobtainum(sp) go figure. May try the old ones they seem ok. Got some of the other parts cleaned up and ready for paint. Seems it takes longer to mix the paint and clean the gun than it does too paint the small stuff. But they take up so much room to hang them to paint you can only do so many at once.:roll:
O well here are some pics hope to make them green this weekend.:)

Attachments

jasonjc

Well its been a while but got to do some work on the trailer. I got the springs , axle and backing plates back on. Now I'm starting on the brakes. Lots of little things to blast and repaint. I just hope I find all the stuff I took off and remember how to put it all back together.:roll:

Attachments

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are the brakes on your lube trailer the same as a M105A2? i see the socket you used was 3-3/8", which is the same as a M105A2.... and i see you have 2 wheel cylinders per side. im just taking notes for when i check the brakes and bearings on my M105A2. nice looking restoration by the way! keep up the good work! [thumbzup]

jasonjc

For the most part the lube trailer and the M105A2 have the same brakes. The lube trailer has all the same parts inside the brake drum, but does not have the park brake cable. Funny thing is it has all the parts inside for the parking brake thought. Mine has 2 M/C's one hooks to the top wheel cyclinder one to the bottom. The M105 has one master cyclinder for all 4 wheel cyclinders. As far as I know this was just done on this model trailer:roll:.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
wow, that seems odd.... good information anyway! thanks a lot for your help! It helps seeing pictures in addition to the TM. I just have to buy a socket. 3-3/8" 8 point, correct?

jasonjc

Not 100% on the socket. Still need to get one for putting it back together. I think I use a big wrench/plies or hammer to get them off can't remember. I did measure at the time so I hope I did it right.

jasonjc

Well this has been on the back bruner for some time now. I finally got a great flaring tool to make the brake line with. It will need 14-20 flares by the time I'm done. So I wanted a tool that would work right each and every time, theres nothing wores than getting a line all bent just right then the flare not come out right and have to start all over:mad:.

So here is my frist try at making better lines than what was on it to start with.

Attachments

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice job. Care to come to SC, and bend the MC vent line on my M37? Please?

Ray70

Is that the flaring tool Eastwood sells? if so, how do you like it? I've been interested in getting one instead of using my old hand flaring set ( which is pretty much incapable of double flares on 1/4" ) Just need to justify the price for the few occasions that I need to do 1/4" line.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks