• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My "M" won't start

jepsonjj

Well, it's been 3+ yrs since I started a frame off. Tried to start her up Sat, but she just backfires and pops. Here's what has been changed:

- Ran pretty good when parked.
- Installed new fuel pump
- Installed new carb
- Installed new distributor, tried to set timing close before install
All parts new inside distributor, points set at .020
- All new wiring
- New plugs, gapped per manual
- Firing order has been checked and rechecked, its correct

It is getting plenty of fuel. I know the distributor shaft has an offset tab on the bottom, but is it possible to install the distributor with the timing off 180 degrees? Can any of you guys shed a little light on my truck problem?

Thanks in advance,

Joe Jepson
1952 M37 WOW

knattrass

Its hard to believe, but yes you can install the dist 180 off. We had the same problem - replaced head gasket, rebuilt carb, rebuilt dist, rebuilt fuel pump.... started right up and was running good. Took the dist off to install electronics, removed the RF filter, re-installed and would not catch. Had some backfire. Pulled the shaft, rotated 180, reinstalled - fired right up!

acetomatoco

Change the condensor and be sure it is a us made one. The mexican ones tend to make the trucks backfire and rev slow.

timmmaaa06

I am running into a similar problem if you can help I have had the truck running fine and it needed a tune up after replacing the condenser and cap and rotor and points it ran for two days and started to back fire and it seemed the timing was off and the cylinders were all off an it happen all within a few hours. We checked the condenser the cap and the rotor the plugs and the cables and they are good we swapped some of the cables around and it helped tremendously the timing on the harmonic balancer is right on it is a M37 dodge it has been 3 days and we can not figure out why this is doing it any clues thank you we did not pull out the distributor itself just the plate and the points are set for .020 the cable setup we check over and over and are correct but it runs better when a few plug cables are switched.

BIG_RED

If it runs better with cables switched around, it sounds like a few of your cables are shot and moving them around just got you a slightly better connection through them.. No experience on M37's, just my $0.02 - good luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks