• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M1008 CUCV Project

Lupercus

Hail friends! I'm new to the civie side of the MV world. I'm still getting used to the fact I cant just hand in a 2404 and everything is magically fixed.

I purchased my M1008 "as is" at the end of October and have been working on it when time and money has been available.

So far I have fixed the following:
-Replaced batteries
-Replaced rear axle
-Drive shaft

It now starts, drives, runs, and stops. However it has 3 glaring deficiencies:
1. The service drive & black out lights are inop. (toggle has no effect)
2. One of the front locking hubs does not enguage/spins freely (looks like a replacement part)
3. The fuel, and speedometer is inop. I think the dash indicator for the directionals are missing (will have to take a closer look).

Any advice is quite welcome.

PS it WAS sunny and 60 degrees last week... *grumbles*

ultim8gamr

2. One of the front locking hubs does not enguage/spins freely (looks like a replacement part)

before you go and buy a replacement hub, try just opening it up and maybe greasing the part. I had a pass side hub that wasn't working and after taking off the cap, going through the parts and them putting it all back where i found it i never had another problem with it. I think the TM has a pretty good exploded view diagram of it so that you can see what you are working with. Good luck!

Lupercus

The snow has finally broken so I've been able to work on a few more deficiencies.

Replacing blown fuses I've managed to get my brake, tail and rear turn signals operational. None of the lights in the front of the vehicle are operational. The wiring is a mess and I get the feeling I'm in over my head on it.

The speedometer cable was unplugged from the dash :roll:. Next time I'm able to get it started I'll see if that fixed it.

The glow plug control card had a burned resistor on it. Waiting on parts.

The fusible wires to half of the glow plugs were burned off. I replaced them. I figure this is probably a good indication that I'll also be needing to replace the glow plugs as soon as I can scrounge up the tool.

Other issues I haven't had the time to look into yet
1. Fuel guage inop
2. No pin to indicate gear position
3. Locking hub. One apears to be military the other apears to be a civilian replacement. I still need to pook into it.

In other news, I have a pair of PRC-77's on the way. I would like to mount 1 but that will take some research first.

Also I need to find a power cable with a 3-pin female connector for a 24v accessory.

Last edited: