• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M1008 ORD 4" Lift w/37's

TCUCV

Truck looks like its coming along really nicely...love the avatar by the way. I have 4" lift w/ 37's as well just haven't have the oppurtunity to flex out like that with the 37's on.

I'll be following along when you attack your snorkle to get ideas b/c that is on my list as well. Good luck and safe wheelin'

Disciple

Truck looks like its coming along really nicely...love the avatar by the way. I have 4" lift w/ 37's as well just haven't have the oppurtunity to flex out like that with the 37's on.

I'll be following along when you attack your snorkle to get ideas b/c that is on my list as well. Good luck and safe wheelin'
Thanks man, it's been a lot of fun. The hardest part for me too is just finding good legal spots to wheel this thing. I really haven't had a chance to see what it can really do yet myself. I've been trying to get in contact with some local off-roading clubs to get a few trips under my belt.

As for the snorkel, I've been hunting around the net and it looks like there is a snorkel made by Safari that is actually designed for a different truck, that other guys have made work on these trucks. I just don't know which one it is that they ordered. So, I have emails out to a couple of different suppliers to see if they know which one these guys ordered. I'll certainly keep my progress updated here.

Warpig78

wheel backspacing

Thanks for this thread, big help. I was wandering what the overall backspacing is on your wheels with the 2" spacer? Also wanted to ask you if you thought the ord zero rates in the front would help keep trimming to a minimum?

TCUCV

What do you mean when you said "Replaced engine block temp sensor for GP controller" . . . I couldn't find that in the TM?? Any help would be appreciated:beer:

Disciple

What do you mean when you said "Replaced engine block temp sensor for GP controller" . . . I couldn't find that in the TM?? Any help would be appreciated:beer:
There's a temp sensor on the top of the motor towards the firewall on the driver's side. The glow plug controller card uses it to determine when and how long to fire the glow plugs. If you're having trouble with your glow plugs not cycling when they should this could be one reason. I don't have a pic right now but it has a black/purple and a yellow wire going to it. Just under the back of the air cleaner.

Disciple

Snorkel Update: I found a pic online of a guy that has a '86 K20 with a snorkel on it. I sent him a PM asking what he used and he said it is a Safari Snorkel for a Land Cruiser FJ80. It doesn't look like a totally perfect fit, but close enough for me. Really, the only difference was that there was a slightly larger gap between the top of the snorkel and the cab/windshield. It didn't look bad though. I'm more worried about function anyway. Since it's made of ABS I wonder if you couldn't just take a heat gun to it very carefully and "persuade" it in a little closer. For around $350 though, it might be best to leave well enough alone. I'd hate to spend that and then mess it up.

Last edited:

vinny-socom1

Snorkel Update: I found a pic online of a guy that has a '86 K20 with a snorkel on it. I sent him a PM asking what he used and he said it is a Safari Snorkel for a Land Cruiser FJ80. It doesn't look like a totally perfect fit, but close enough for me. Really, the only difference was that there was a slightly larger gap between the top of the snorkel and the cab/windshield. It didn't look bad though. I'm more worried about function anyway. Since it's made of ABS I wonder if you couldn't just take a heat gun to it very carefully and "persuade" it in a little closer. For around $350 though, it might be best to leave well enough alone. I'd hate to spend that and then mess it up.

Photos..Photos....Please

Vinny

Disciple

Cardinal Sin: Posting about a topic involving something visual without including a pic. Surprised I didn't get hit with one of these:

nopics

auron

How much did you pay for those tires? I have an 88 suburban w/ a 6 inch lift installed. I was told when I bought it it used to be leased to the gov? (If this is true or not idk) It had 38.5 inch tires on it at one point but it had to be switched back to the old less worn set of 35's due to one is bald and the other won't hold air. When I get on the wifi from my laptop I will post pics but i cant right now from this gov computer

Disciple

How much did you pay for those tires?
I think I paid about $800 for 4 tires, mounted and balanced on 16.5" HMMWVV wheels with the run-flats, that's with shipping from GA to MN. If you go to my first post in this thread there's a link. I think he sells just the tires for about $75 each if you already have a set of wheels these will fit.

Disciple

Going back through this thread I realized I never posted pics of my custom drop bumper I built to keep the cops happy(er), so here ya' go.

The previous owners (local Sheriff's Dept.) had installed a civvy 2" tow pack and 7-pin trailer harness with a brake controller. We notched the new bumper down to fit around this and still give me access to hook up trailer chains. We also moved the 7-in harness (it had been hanging down on an L-Bracket off the bottom of the bumper) because I was sick of backing into hills and snow piles and breaking it off. Now it's recessed in the bumper and better protected.

I coated the whole thing with rubberized undercoating spray. It is held in place by 4 bolts, the nuts are welded onto the back side of the frame so I only need one wrench to remove and install. I keep a ratchet set with the truck, so if I ever want to go off-road and need the extra clearance back there, I can quickly remove it and toss it in the bed by myself.

That's also my new adjustable drop hitch in the pics. Like it a lot, but wish I had gotten the 10" model instead of the 6". I towed a U-haul trailer the other day and it was still riding pretty high in the front.

Attachments

auron

I think he sells just the tires for about $75 each if you already have a set of wheels these will fit.

I just so happen to have a set of aluminum 16.5 but what you paid aint bad I think last time I got tires I paid $1,600 and that was those monsters I had before and were the run flats included for the $800

Disciple

Yes, the run-flats were included, already installed, mounted, balanced, ready to roll on the bead-locks. Overall I'm very happy with them. They don't do the greatest on wet, slippery roads and they're terrible on slick ice, but on anything else they're fantastic. Not too loud, and you certainly can't beat the price.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks