• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M1008 stater / flywheel

Ronbo

Hey Guys , My truck was acting up today. I either have a bad spot on the flywheel or a bad starter or both.. Wheres the best place to get the needed parts? anything to watch out for as far as getting the wrong parts? Maybe the starter rebuild shop can fix the starter but Still might need a flywheel.. any advise ?Thanks

91W350

Buy some 41/2 to 6 inch bolts if you are replacing the flywheel. Pull the coolant lines, replace the stock bolts with the long one, drop the front and rear drive lines, disconnect the transmission and transfer case shifters, unhook the speedometer, pull the dust cover, remove the torque converter bolts use a floor jack to roll the transmission and transfer case back on the long bolts.. Make sure the converter is fully engaged in the transmission pump.

Swap out the flywheel, make sure it is a 6.2 flywheel and compare it to your old one. It should have a pretty substantial weight welded into the flywheel as 6.2s are externally balanced like a small block 400 or 454. Torque things up and slide it back together.

Parts are standard, about any parts store will have them. On the starter, I prefer to take the original to a shop and have it rebuilt.

One of mine broke a starter bolt yesterday morning, I got lucky and got the bolt out. Do not forget that front starter bracket. Glen

cucv1833

Buy some 41/2 to 6 inch bolts if you are replacing the flywheel. Pull the coolant lines, replace the stock bolts with the long one, drop the front and rear drive lines, disconnect the transmission and transfer case shifters, unhook the speedometer, pull the dust cover, remove the torque converter bolts use a floor jack to roll the transmission and transfer case back on the long bolts.. Make sure the converter is fully engaged in the transmission pump.

Swap out the flywheel, make sure it is a 6.2 flywheel and compare it to your old one. It should have a pretty substantial weight welded into the flywheel as 6.2s are externally balanced like a small block 400 or 454. Torque things up and slide it back together.

Parts are standard, about any parts store will have them. On the starter, I prefer to take the original to a shop and have it rebuilt.

One of mine broke a starter bolt yesterday morning, I got lucky and got the bolt out. Do not forget that front starter bracket. Glen

good info Glen . I have to do mine in the near future. ive been through 2 sets of starter bolts. I dont have the bracket yet. the fly wheel is missing a few teeth. it still starts but from time to time it slips. what do you need just basic tools a torque wrench and jack?

bkwudzhom

Just replaced my flywheel. Got it from advanced for $43.00 I think. Be sure the replacement wheel you get is completely TRUE! 4 inch bolts are what you will need longer ones will be too long.

Disconnect the batteries completely.

Drop the front drive shaft from the front axel and loosely suspend it. Be sure to tape the u-joint caps on if not replacing them.

Drop the rear drive shaft from the rear axel and loosely suspend it (Good time to inspect/replace the u-joints while your there)

Remove the starter

Remover the inspection plate-(I was able to get it around the coolant lines)

Disconnect the linkage (driver side) and the shift light (on very top).

Unbolt the 4 side bolts (2 on each side)and replace them with the 4 inch long bolts.

Unbolt the top 2 bolts (I found this easier to get to by putting my small flashlight on top of the trans then laying across the top of the engine and reaching them from the top.)

Place a floor jack so that it will support the trans and transfer case ( I used wood blocks to level it all out). If you have a concrete surface be sure it is clean so the jack will roll easy. If you are on the ground get a good sheet of plywood.

Unbolt the cross member and allow the jack to support the weight.

Unbolt the flywheel from the torqu converter-(I used a long prybar to catch the teeth of the flywheel and rotate it so I could reach all the bolts easily).

Once the flywheel is unbolted the trans and transfercase will slide back. It may take some prying. Be sure to have a wedge to chock the wheels of the jack if you are on an incline.
The use of a come along to help slid it back could save some effort.

Once clear a long end wrench can be used to unbolt the flywheel from the crankshaft.

Instalation is the oppisite.

Be sure to follow all torque specs in the TM upon reassembly.

I think I have listed all the steps-However I am not above correction.
BK

Last edited:

rnd-motorsports

Just a note you can check the flywheel before you pull it may be fine I would have the starter bendix checked they act like that when they go bad about a 25/30 doller fix and a lot less work !2cents

I had my flywheel replaced after getting the wrong starter; turns out a 12V starter will work... for a short while. After a week or so it broke a bunch of teeth off the flywheel. I replaced the starter and kept it going for a while. Eventually I stopped somewhere and the spot with no teeth lined up with the starter....

Barrman

A swivel socket, the ones that look like u joints, and enough extentions to let you lay back behind the transfer case will also work on the upper bellhousing to engine bolts.

91W350

I usually use a second jack under the oil pan with a heavy chunk of wood to support it, just enough pressure to support the engine. If you slide the crossmember out from under the mount, those upper bellhousing bolts are much, much easier to work with, that little bit of angle is well worth removing the mount in my opinion. Ask ten guys, get ten answers. The slick trick is to use those longer bolts, beats the heck out of setting her down on the ground and going back up in the hole. Glen

Editing to say I would definitely just pull the inspection cover first to look at the flywheel teeth, you may have been lucky and escaped serious damage. If you were close, I would come help you do it. I just replaced a broken starter bolt today. The second one I have had to replace, the first one on my own truck. The nose bracket was in place, the other bolt was tight, this truck has less than 36,000 on it....

Last edited:

Ronbo

91W350 Thanks , Where is the best place to get the starter bolts ( non Chinese),? I might as well do it right.. Thanks again

91W350

I am sure I paid full tilt, it was 6.86 with tax at the local GMC dealer for two genuine GM bolts. They are a little different than the originals. These look like they were knurled with a knurling tool. The originals looked stamped. They did say the 6.2s were known for doing that. They had plenty in stock.

pbrstreetgang

I replaced my flywheel and had my starter completely rebuilt last year at the same time and it has worked great since then. Lately I am hearing a catch about every 25 starts or so, like it is locked up or something, like when you start a car that is already started

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks