• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M1009 and all its issues....

KiefOlsen92

i drove a half a mile on a flat turned it off replaced the tire... drove it up closer to my compressor... the starter wouldnt turn off when i turned off the ignition. eventually it started to smoke more and i think my brother kept tryin to turn it off and then it set on fire... we then put it out with water, unplugged the batterys... once the starter cooled down we took it off the only wire sheared off was the ground would this do anything...should i replace the whole ground wire... the starters being rebuilt right now... tomorrow i find out what else is wrong. on another note how can i run a regular outlet powerstrip from the battery into the cab of my m1009? thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

jdknech

someone is going to say it... search is your friend :wink: for your starter problem, look up "doghead starter relay mod" and any wires that you wonder if they might need replaced- replace them... as far as your power strip, do you mean 12V or 24V? if 12 run your power wire into the cab from the 12V power buss on the firewall in the engine bay, if 24V there should already be one behind the passinger seat on the side of the truck.

erniemigi

If you still have the standard 24v and you want to have 12 volt on the Back buss bar then what you do is dissconnect the positive wire from the front buss bar that leads to the back and either extend that wire to the front battery or buy a long enough section to go from the front battery to the rear buss bar, i just took the wire that leads from the front buss bar to my jumper connector and attached to the wire that already leads to the back and now i have 12 volts to my rear buss bar

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First time I have ever heard of the starter relay sticking because of a flat tire. Stranger things have happened....:p

First you need to download the FREE technical manuals, read all the CUCV Forum stickies and CUCV FAQ Article (Wiki) and then get to work.

CUCV - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite

Fix the starter, replace the burned fusible links (they are not regular wire, they are there for this purpose) and replace the failed starter relay with an upgrade. The Dodhead Relay Upgrade is a great way to go.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/70846-poll-who-has-done-dodhead-relay-conversion.html

Last edited:

KiefOlsen92

im picking up the new starter relay today... and im getting back the starter hopefully today... the starter is totally fried hes still lookin for parts. so hopefully everything goes good... but i have no powerstrips on the inside is the buss bar, like in front of the back bench seat? could i see pictures if its not too much of a bother. thanks again guys

KiefOlsen92

I replaced the starter first, then did the relay mod. It didn't turn over until the 10th try, but I could hear the clicking from the mod. The clicking is awesome haha. When it did fire up though I guess the starter sent out a bitch spark almost a flame.
Was this the starter meshing with the other gear? Is that bad?

Also, it seems quieter... is there any relation?
Thanks

KiefOlsen92

I have this like metal bracket that sticks out like an inch in front of the floor pan where it raises up (in front of the bench seat) but no electronics devices anywhere but the dash.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay lets take a moment to gather our thoughts.

Multiple people have asked questions and you have not responded. You are bringing up multiple issues and this is getting really confussing.

First - fix your stater and the burnt fusible links.

Second - there are three belts on a stock system and yes you have to adjust them. Very OLD SCHOOL

Third - What type of "power strip" are you wanting? On some M1009 truck there was an additional 24v buss bar in the rear seat area on the passenger side. It was only installed if the truck used military radios. Some people have used it for a 12v feed with some modification. Please define what you are trying to accomplish.

The bracket on the passenger floor was used for someting totally different. It is even covered in the Tech Manuals.

You have downloaded them and started to read the TM 9-2320-289-10 Operators manual haven't you? (please answer this question or we will put your account on moderation)

We will help anyway we can but or patients is short at times. If you can't help us then we will not help you.

85CUCVtom

Listen to Warthog. He knows a lot about CUCV's.

As for the sparks coming from your starter, that is not normal. Check your connections and make sure something isn't touching something it shouldn't. Wiring diagrams are in the TM's.

Your belts are squealing because they are most likely too loose. Check your tension and adjust as needed.

KiefOlsen92

1. Thanks for giving me the name of the manual, when I get off work from Screen Printing, I will download it.

2. The starter and mod works fine I did from 8-10 at night with a maglight in the complete dark. The first 10 key turns did nothing, but when the car did turn over and fire up it sparked my mom said. Im thinking its when the starter gear meshed with the engine gear? I have no problems at the moment with the starter or mod. (only drove it a block cuz of belt squealing though)

3. I want to try running a regular outlet powerstrip (the kind u plug into the wall.)-- Do i need an adapter.
Should I just buy a wire harness for a radio and take the unit off of my 97 Wrangler (4in susp. 3in body- I did myself :grin:) --- where can I get this radio harness for the m1009?

4. I guess I dont have a buss bar. Should I post some pictures would this help?

Sorry if I'm not articulating my questions correctly, I thank you all for your patience you've been life savers. Once again, thanks.

erniemigi

This is what the rear Buss bar looks like and it is located on the passenger side, right next to the bench seat, as for getting one, i would either look in the SS Classifieds, Ebay or do a search online for one, not sure on how you was able to rig up a power strip (the kind you plug into a regular outlet) into a vehical without using an invertor

Attachments

KiefOlsen92

Okay, hmm... If I buy this Buss bar would I able to run speakers and everything into that?

Yea, my dad said I would need an Invertor... or should I just quit being cheap and do it right...

o1951

Best to stay with DC.
Don't add complexity and issues.
I would go to a civilian boneyard and scap a fuseblock and the feed wire with the fuseable link. Put the fuseblock in a convenient place, hook it up - fusible link protects feedwire and fuse block. Now you can run whatever you want off it with appropriate fuses to properly protect each device.
No smoke, no flames, no fires.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks