• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M1009 cranks but will not start

harryhr

This is a problem continued since last fall. Since the weather here in WNY has got warmer, I have re-started looking for the cause as to why my 1009 won't start. I let the plugs cycle 2 times (sometime 3 times) before starting. No luck. But, I sprayed some WD40 along with some starting fluid in the intake and it eventually starts. Runs great. Turn ignition off. Wait till the engine cools down. Let plugs cycle and crank the engine, no start. Seem's to me the plugs are not getting hot enough to fire cylinders. What controls the plugs getting hot enough to start engine? Does the solenoid on the fire wall need to be replaced? I was told by an auto repair shop owner that I would have to replace all the glow plugs (an assumption without even looking at engine). Any information would be greatly appreciated. I don't know what glow plugs cost, but it sounds expensive to me.

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you reviewed these Tm's for possible cause?

All the diagrams are available in the TM 9-2320-289-20 and TM 9-2320-289-34 tech manuals. Located in the Appendix

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
This is a problem continued since last fall. Since the weather here in WNY has got warmer, I have re-started looking for the cause as to why my 1009 won't start. I let the plugs cycle 2 times (sometime 3 times) before starting. No luck. But, I sprayed some WD40 along with some starting fluid in the intake and it eventually starts. Runs great. Turn ignition off. Wait till the engine cools down. Let plugs cycle and crank the engine, no start. Seem's to me the plugs are not getting hot enough to fire cylinders. What controls the plugs getting hot enough to start engine? Does the solenoid on the fire wall need to be replaced? I was told by an auto repair shop owner that I would have to replace all the glow plugs (an assumption without even looking at engine). Any information would be greatly appreciated. I don't know what glow plugs cost, but it sounds expensive to me.
Glow Plugs generally work or they don't. Another thing to consider is that half of them might be "dead" and you don't know that unless you test them. If you have good fuel, good injection pump, a good fuel pump, and clean fuel filters - the truck doesn't have to use glow plugs to start. In other words - you might have other issues to look at...

@jcollings had a good suggestion about using the TM's (Technical Manuals) for troubleshooting the GP's (Glow Plugs).

@87cr250r is trying to tell you that the temperature for the glow plugs is "just right" when the wait light goes off. AND you need to know that if there is only one plug getting heated up - it might not be enough for your truck to crank. (for example)

drewmech

Working on glow plugs my self. I paid $65 for the solenoid from Napa (ST85 is the part number). Quick easy change. The glow plugs weren’t too bad. $90 for all 8 from Leroy Diesel. Just received mine today so I’ll be installing them tomorrow. Removing them wasn’t bad. On the passenger side I pulled the rear battery and the battery tray. Made things significantly easier. I also picked up the wiring from the solenoid to the plugs from Leroy. I was finding the spade connectors a little loose. I may have more troubleshooting to do don’t know yet. In my situation I was able to get the truck started by grounding the glow plugs. The blue wire on the solenoid to any ground. I used jumper cables to connect to the negative side of the front battery. It’s the basically the manual glow plug modification. I did it just to move the truck to the garage. Definitely will be paying attention to this thread as I work thru my issues.

harryhr

I was talking to a guy that worked as a mechanic at a local chevy dealership when the army reserve and guard unit here in the Niagara Falls area had the CUCV series in inventory. Because they were under factory warranty, the local chevy dealer got all the repair work. He stopped by a couple days ago and told me to start my 1009. He wanted to see any smoke coming out the tail pipe which there was. It's getting fuel. Cycled the glow plugs two times. Cranks but will not start. Squirted WD40 and a shot of starting fluid into the intake and it fired up. Because it is a 1985 M1009 with low mileage , it's more likely it idled a lot more than driven. Once the truck is started, you can shut it off and start again with no problems. But once it sits over night, it won't start. He told me that the glow plugs are old and sitting a long time before I got it and after I got it, it took it's toll on the plugs. Also sounds like the relay/solenoid on the firewall is not doing it's job of heating the plugs. He suggested I get new AC Delco 60G plugs from NAPA and a replacement relay/solenoid too from NAPA (which I did). $102.00 with tax and my discount for 8 plugs and the relay/solenoid. I'm a little too old and a bit of arthritis to be climbing around under the hood. So now it's at a repair shop that specializes in diesel engine's. The shop owner is a retired army Master Sergeant like me, and said he will do the glow plugs and relay work and keep the costs down. I appreciate very much all the feedback and suggestions I received from everyone on steel soldiers. You all are a wealth of knowledge. I have one more question. I have a M151A1. The right front turn signal does not work. Bulb is good. Using a test light with the turn signal on, no matter where I probed the test light would blink. There is a short some place. Put the bulb in and it will not blink. I was taking the bulb out and there was a tiny park and now none of the signal lights work. The signal switch on the column, the bulb stays on and does not blink. Did that little spark cause the signal box on the floor wall under the dash to burn out? I'm just having so much fun with my 1009 these past couple of weeks and now my mutt is giving me grief.

Last edited:

harryhr

Have you reviewed these Tm's for possible cause?

All the diagrams are available in the TM 9-2320-289-20 and TM 9-2320-289-34 tech manuals. Located in the Appendix

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Yes, I have all the diagrams and schematics. I can't get under the hood to do most of the testing with an OHM meter, test light, etc. because I am not agile as I used to be. Not getting any younger. Most of what I can do leads me to the same conclusion that the problem is the glow plug relay/solenoid and the glow plugs. So now it's at a reputable repair shop that specializes in diesel engines. Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks