• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M1009 Cranks But Won't Start

irishvin

I was driving my M1009 and when I stopped at a red light, it just shut down on me. I couldn't get it started so I got it towed to my shop. After I charged the batteries a bit, it cranked but it still wouldn't start. I sprayed some starter fluid into the intake and that made it ALMOST turn over, but it still didn't. The engine has oil in it, I literally JUST replaced the engine (about 2 days ago) and she was running like a dream until today. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I don't know what could be wrong with it aside from maybe a clogged fuel filter? Thanks!

alburms311

Do you have reason to suspect you have bad batteries(meter tested or load tested them?)If your batteries are good, try swapping the fuel filter. I attempted to drive mine home with a bad fuel filter back when I first aquired it(didn't really know any better) and it didn't work out too well. The thing would sputter and stop, sputter and stop, and going up the slightest hill was terrible. Got to an Autozone, bought a fuel filter, poured some diesel 911 in it, went through the process of installing it, and once it fired up I was moving right along. I felt like a DA...

irishvin

Do you have reason to suspect you have bad batteries(meter tested or load tested them?)If your batteries are good, try swapping the fuel filter. I attempted to drive mine home with a bad fuel filter back when I first aquired it(didn't really know any better) and it didn't work out too well. The thing would sputter and stop, sputter and stop, and going up the slightest hill was terrible. Got to an Autozone, bought a fuel filter, poured some diesel 911 in it, went through the process of installing it, and once it fired up I was moving right along. I felt like a DA...
I'll test the batteries tomorrow and I'll replace the fuel filter. Thank you! I'll let you know how it goes.

wayne pick

Hea Vinny, It's more than likely a fuel problem. If it stalls again after the filter is changed, you may have a porous fuel line from the tank to the filter. It may not leak, but it could suck air and make the engine stall. I started that engine two weeks prior to selling the parts truck to you with no problems. It sat all winter and fired up faster than my 1031, LOL! Also check the filter housing, they are prone to pulling air also. You might want to do a spin on filter mod, it's cheap, about $60.00 and much more reliable.

irishvin

I got it running again. it was a both the fuel filter and the belts to the alts where not charging so it drained the battery's dead. charged the battery's and then still wouldn't start so I checked the fuel filter and changed primed it and it started right up. running fine now! hey wanye how do you make the conversion I was looking into that bc it seems it would be more reliable

wayne pick

Hea Vinny, The spin on filter is far more reliable and easier to change. I personally would change out all the fuel lines to avoid any future BS with the fuel system. pawnshop started an excellent thread with detailed instructions and part #s on how to do the spin on filter mod on 06/14/2009, here it is. www.steelsoldiers.com/...36435-my-CUCV-spin-on-filter-mod. I quoted a $60.00 price for the mod, that was for just the filter and head. At the end of the day, it is approx $100.00 with fittings and fuel line.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks