• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My m1009 has cancer.

2002ford

Well I had a bit of rust on my roof so I thought I would take the top off. I figured it would be an easy fix with welder. To my surprise it way worse than I thought. Any thoughts on a repare. I was thinking about putting expanding foam in the holes and put the top back on with a new seal and add a bead of seam sealer to it. Decisions decisions. Lol.

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a paint on oxidizer that you can put on that to stop it. Grind it out and fill it with fiberglass.

2002ford

I sand blasted after the photos. Its not supposed to rain for a few days around here so I will think about this. If I could find a different roof, I could weld it on. That would be alot of work. Who knows?

forest522

Yes, bad but not worth putting the patient down! It can be fixed, just takes time and patience and a good mug welder. A welder I am not but...I cut out and ground away rusty areas a lot like this then spent hours cutting metal pieces to fill. A friend with welding talents is on the way!

Good part about those spots you have is that they aren't too visible. Just repair and make look decent enough to fit the gasket over for the top. Time for new rubber!

Good luck sir!

forest522

Forgot too mention... I had areas in the windshield like this. I went to a junkyard and cut out the areas from a rust free donor. Then as mentioned above, wire wheel, grind cut, weld, .... Will need the apply a good rust inhibitor all around before final sealing. Eastwood has some stuff with a nozzle that allows you to spray inside the roof where you can't see and coat/stop other rust. I know, I know...I need to post pics too. Again, good luck sir!

ryan77

Those are very common rot spots on these trucks, cut out a small section at a time and weld piece in! Or like southern said cut the whole roof and weld a new one on!!!

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My '86 has almost no rust, and it rains for months without stop out here. There's something about Ohio (road salt?) that just eats steel.

I've owned two vehicles that started their lives in Ohio, that came by way of military owners to other states. One was a Ford Courier. I put the floor jack under the frame and it crumpled without lifting the truck an inch. The other was a '91 Tercel the owner gave me for free because it needed so much work. All you had to do was approach the car with a wrench or screwdriver in your hand and parts would slough off.

Keith_J

If you cut and transplant the top, be sure to cross brace both the remaining cab and replacement top. Use weld-through primer inside the weld joint area, the touch up with a good rust proofing primer after welding using a straw and small holes from the inside.

mule skinner

cancer

put some penitral paint prep on the metal to stop the rust on and later. It is clear and you can put it on over the primer or on bare metal .It works great. you can mix it with paint when you put on the lats cot it is clear. go to home depe or lowes. its cheep.

2002ford

Thanks every one for responding. I went to a few junk yards today wiith no luck on the top. I did find a suberban with a 6.2 and an overdrive tranny waiting to be picked.

2002ford

Oh by the way, this truck came from Camp shelby 6 weeks ago. I cant blame Ohio on this one but I can on my 2002 ford truck. :evil:

rbeasley66

Doug, it's going to rain here all day Sunday and Monday, so I'll be able to post the videos I took of you trail riding. Keep an eye out for them!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks