• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M1009 Plan

jimm1009

Let me tell you what I did with my '84 M1009.

I put new 31/10:50 tires on it and new, cheap shocks.
I then drove it for 20,000 miles and the tires wore out due to manufacturing problems in the rubber compounds.
I purchased new 33/12:50x15 all terrain tires, put gas shocks on it with the civilian "Quad Shock" kit. It road very rough due to the gas shocks but I tolerated it for about 10,000 miles and then went back to OEM non-gas shocks. It road much better and the thing that I found that was really great was that there is no front end dip when using the brakes in a slightly abrupt fashion as there is with just two shocks in front. The diesel is much heavier so that adds to the "dip". No lift kit, no trimming anywhere, but moderate offroading for hunting from time to time.
I gained about 7 miles per hour on the top end but split the difference and can drive 70 miles per hour all day long and still hear myself think.
When I drop to 65 MPH I get about 19.5 to 20 miles per gallon.
Yes they are ugly, but try that in a gas-powered civilian Blazer or Jimmy.
A Co-worker's similar year gas engine with the same tires 3.08's, and a 4 speed automatic over my 3 speed automatic (THM400) gets 12 miles per gallon with a tail wind in similar driving areas.
I drove my original rear axle until the Howl got too bad but it had around 165,000 miles on it (100,000 are mine) so I think that I am doing o.k.
I just wanted to add this information so others could see my results. I make no recommendations but just want to share since I have been driving my M1009 since late 1995 every day to work and one or two weekend days too.
Been on six 1800 miles round trips to see family out of state in it and it's still going. Change the oils and filters and grease it often.
I hope this offers some insight to help in "your plan".
Good luck, and THINK O.D. GREEN! :-D
Jim

McCluskey

Let me tell you what I did with my '84 M1009.

I put new 31/10:50 tires on it and new, cheap shocks.
I then drove it for 20,000 miles and the tires wore out due to manufacturing problems in the rubber compounds.
I purchased new 33/12:50x15 all terrain tires, put gas shocks on it with the civilian "Quad Shock" kit. It road very rough due to the gas shocks but I tolerated it for about 10,000 miles and then went back to OEM non-gas shocks. It road much better and the thing that I found that was really great was that there is no front end dip when using the brakes in a slightly abrupt fashion as there is with just two shocks in front. The diesel is much heavier so that adds to the "dip". No lift kit, no trimming anywhere, but moderate offroading for hunting from time to time.
I gained about 7 miles per hour on the top end but split the difference and can drive 70 miles per hour all day long and still hear myself think.
When I drop to 65 MPH I get about 19.5 to 20 miles per gallon.
Yes they are ugly, but try that in a gas-powered civilian Blazer or Jimmy.
A Co-worker's similar year gas engine with the same tires 3.08's, and a 4 speed automatic over my 3 speed automatic (THM400) gets 12 miles per gallon with a tail wind in similar driving areas.
I drove my original rear axle until the Howl got too bad but it had around 165,000 miles on it (100,000 are mine) so I think that I am doing o.k.
I just wanted to add this information so others could see my results. I make no recommendations but just want to share since I have been driving my M1009 since late 1995 every day to work and one or two weekend days too.
Been on six 1800 miles round trips to see family out of state in it and it's still going. Change the oils and filters and grease it often.
I hope this offers some insight to help in "your plan".
Good luck, and THINK O.D. GREEN! :-D
Jim
This offers a lot of insight to me. Thank you Jim.

Once I get my Blazer, I'll take it for a few extended city drives and see how the whole thing performs before I make any axel decisions.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks