• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M1009 Recovery in progress

Smokinyoda

Looks good![thumbzup]

How does it feel to finally be behind the wheel of another CUCV?:driver:

First thing I would do if it hasnt already been done is the doghead starter relay mod, and bypass the glowplug resitors.

Last edited:

ricksherryjosh1

Here is my link. Smokin feels great!!!, It has been 20 years. 67 that is what I am fixing to start on. I think I will scuff it and throw a few coats before I start the other work. So it will look proper even though it's far from finished. I think I can have her shot by next week. Make the grand kids get outside and help do a little wet sanding lol.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HVNxxpsFXI&feature=share&list=PL0B2C7B5E46D0A9AE[/media]

Last edited:

wayne pick

Decent truck Rick! Far better than the rust bucket project truck you were looking at. Minimal body work on this one. As far as that pressure issue, Fill the radiator and recovery tank to the proper level with plain water and run the truck with the cap off. Use a thermometer and check the temprature, and also for air bubbles. It built a lot of pressure for the short time you had it running, but that could be becuase it was low on coolant. Could be something simple, a sticky thermostat or a tired waterpump. Also check the exhast for any coolant odor.

markg

i think you have a blown head gasket or cracked head. they make a test for that now. if you drove 150 miles must not be too bad. i hate that they didnt have a temp gage.

i have left the radiator cap cracked open to relieve pressure when i had to get home . if your in a pinch turn on the heater and remove the thermistat.

boy, those are ugly tires and wheels. good luck!

ricksherryjosh1

Hey guys thanks for the post, Wayne I had run the truck for to the store and back before I shot the video. Mark I hope it's not a head gasket or head. I checked the oil for water, i also checked the radiator for back pressure from the pistons. What should my water temp be Wayne? Also No coolant odors, but i just went and ran it from a cold start with the water levels topped off. I got air bubbles from start up. after about 5 min the water started flowing.
Thanks

Last edited:

wayne pick

It should run at 180 deg. The excaping air is probably purge air. The five minute wait indicates the thermostat is working properly. The best way to test for a blown head gasket is to do a leak down test. A compression test can also indicate a blown gasket. An infrared thermometer can be used to find hot spots on the cyl head and to accurately measure temps at the radiator, crossover pipe, thermostat, upper and lower rad hoses. Mark has a valid point in suggesting a blown gasket. The simptoms shown on the video are classic to a blown head gasket. Hot rusty coolant puking into and out of the recovery tank is a good example of a neglected cooling system.

ricksherryjosh1

I am starting to think it is blown, went by the auto part store to price a gasket and bolts. While in the store I looked at the stop leak stuff, and in the bottom of the clear bottles guess what I saw. The same color mineral I found under my hood. I think someone knew it had a blown head gasket before I bought it and temporarily stopped the leak. That's ok... I didn't buy this truck to do anything halfway. I will be doing a head gasket replacement thread in a few weeks. Bare with me I never worked on a Diesel. I wrote the guy a check I should cancel it just for the cost of the gasket and the fact he knew about the problem, but I'm not that kind of person.

wayne pick

If it does have a blown gasket, the old radiator was more than likely the cause. Is this the truck you had mentioned having a split in the side of the radiator tank? Were you able to test drive it long enough to detect any overheating problems even with the new rad? Was that rusty film there when you first looked at the truck? The PO went the cheap route and replaced the rad thinking it would solve the problem. He basicly gave you a tail light guarantee. The new rad along with an unsolved overheating issue throws up a red flag for me. Cancel the check, and write another for half of what you originally paid for the truck, teach em a lesson. You can't trust anyone anymore.

ricksherryjosh1

I think I am going to put a temp gauge on the truck also.
Wayne man no this is not the same truck with the cracked plastic. That was the other one smokinyoda looked at. This one was in palmetto G.A. The new radiator should have been a red flag, no it's didn't have signs of over heating or the copper/rust looking stuff in the overflow or in the bay area.

Last edited:

ricksherryjosh1

Yeah BigRix sad to say I think it is. Will pull the heads take them to a machine shop to be inspected and cleaned. I just have to put that in front of a list of other things I had planned to do. The wife as mush as she was against me getting the truck says "maybe you should just go find another one". So I can have two one daily driver and one project. Glad to see she is being supportive while I am depressed lol.