• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M1009

SpecWarSquid

Hey everybody, been a member for awhile but only recently an owner of a M1009. So i figure it's about time I'd share.

I bought my M1009 a little over 2 months ago from SS member A3superdeuce. Great guyto get to know and to deal with. Still getting to know the truck and going through the PMS. But I drive her every day and she's been dead nuts reliable with 76,101 miles on the clock at time of purchase.

In fact we just got back from taking her up to the Woodward Dream Cruise. Our hot rod was still in the shop so my brother joked about taking the 09 and I said OK. 500 miles round trip, a lot could've gone wrong. But the only problem was a spilt trans pan gasket (my fault, I gorilla gripped the bolts the night before).

Got a lot of looks. I don't think the Hot Rod/ Muscle Car crowd knew what to think of it, but some got it. I did hear one mother correct her son when he pointed out the "Army truck". She said "No, No, he hunts animals in that truck." LOL But more importantly I had more than a few Vets come up and talk to me about their time in service and with the trucks.

My first exposure to the CUCVs was with the 910th ALW up in Youngstown. We'd used them for all sorts of dutys but mostly used them to help with recovering training pallets and parachutes dropped by our C-130H's on the DZ at Ravenna Aresenal. Combined with a John Deere 10K AT, they got the job done. Driving the 09 takes me back in time

Anyways here are the pics. Some are from when I brought her home, others are from the Dream Cruise and some just poser shots I took last Sat.

Attachments

Last edited:

jw4x4

Welcome to the cucv division. Enjoy your Oh-Nine. Mine is a daily driver, haven't hunted any animals from it. There sure are quite a few members in the southwest Ohio region.
Your pics did not show up.

SpecWarSquid

Thanks!! Yeah I was having a SNAFU with the "Managae Attachments" window. Should be up now.

Still having a problem uploading more. The window says "Uploading Files - Please Wait" but doesn't ever say that it's finish or give an indication that I can see.

Attachments

Last edited:

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
pictures CAN take a while to upload. just take a break while it's doing that. hit the head or smoke em if you got em...

That bumper doesn't look stock. Could you get a better close up of it? Or it could just be how the light hits it in the shots I looked at.

welcome to SS and the green iron disease

SpecWarSquid

LOL Guess I am not yet ready to snatch the pebble. Got it now pics are up.

Thanks

pictures CAN take a while to upload. just take a break while it's doing that. hit the head or smoke em if you got em...

That bumper doesn't look stock. Could you get a better close up of it? Or it could just be how the light hits it in the shots I looked at.

welcome to SS and the green iron disease

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I notice yours has the sliding windows on the cap. I put some on mine and it's a great upgrade.

Attachments

Last edited:

CPAPPY

Hello Shay , the picture of the 09 looks great . Got to watch wrenching down with your gorilla hands of yours . What kind of milage did you get?.

SpecWarSquid

Thanks everybody for the compliments. Wish I could take credit but A3superduece did all the work as far mechanical, body and paint. Pretty talented guy with a welder and is currently building/finishing a COMBATT truck. My 09 is not perfect and has some spots that'll need attention but for right now I'm just enjoying her.

@Mainsail ~ Yeah with more than a few little ones under foot those sliding windows are a life saver.

@CPAPPY ~ You know what I didn't keep track other than fuel level on arrival. But guesstimating based on gas guage, miles traveled I'd say somewhere around 16 mpg. On the way back from Detroit (drove straight back no detours) according to my "calibratied" fuel gauge LOL I used just over half a tank. Not bad for a starting point to try and improve MPG. I was happy with it. Our 68 GTO that we normally take does the trip in a full tank and them some.

As far as the story of the Truck goes. A3SD got it out of GL auction down at Red Stone Arsenal in 2009. Before that CARNAC reported that at one time it was a Ohio National Guard truck up in Clyde, Ohio back in the early to mid 90's. Who know's where she's been since then considering she was discharged from service in AL. I like to think she's come home.

I've got plans for her and only time will tell how they'll actually evolve. But everything will be done with "Functionality" in mind. Definatley lift, possibly some better axles that I have (3/4 8 lug, 10 bolt & 14 bolt FF w/ 3.73s). Combined with 36" tires spaced out on Humvee Rims. This combo of gear ratio & tire size should keep my RPMs pretty equivlant to the 3.08/31 set up that is on here. The biggie in the future will be looking into upgrading the transmisson. I guess my vision for this truck is to set it up as "Long Range Tactical Scout". So extended range and mild to moderate offroad capability will be key points (not a rock crawler). As well as being outfitted for long term field deployment (A la Expedition Rigs). When it comes to the engine. I do like the GM 6.2s. I like Cummins and all the others too but it just doesn't seem like a CUCKVEE without the 6.2. But I do realize their limitations. That being said I would like to see what can be done to improve the giddy-up, within reason.

My background for the last 5 years of my active duty career was in tactical communications. I really enjoyed COMMS so it only seems natural to want to track down some antenna mounts and outfit this rig with some whips. If anyone has line on some mounts they don't need, drop me a line. I haven't been able to find any lately.

Anyways lots to think about. I plan to heavily rely of this community for support and knowledge. Any specific updates on the truck I'll do in this thread. Thanks again guys for the comments.

topgun217

Hey welcome aboard ! I wish I would have taken my 09 there now. I hate to bust a bubble, but the ONG Unit in Clyde Ohio was disbanded in the 70's and the only military vehicles here in town (all 4 of them) are owned by us civi's. If your looking for the big whips, come to the Findlay MV show next year, you'll find alot of things there.

Again welcome aboard!

cjcottrill

-----------------My background for the last 5 years of my active duty career was in tactical communications. I really enjoyed COMMS so it only seems natural to want to track down some antenna mounts and outfit this rig with some whips. If anyone has line on some mounts they don't need, drop me a line. I haven't been able to find any lately.---------------

There should be plenty at the Gilbert show comming up. I've seen several NOS Base, whip, tiedown, & "sugar scoop" for about 90.00

Last edited:

SpecWarSquid

@Togun217 ~ Yeah I don't know what to tell. This is what CARNAC came back with:

Organization:OH ARMY NATIONAL GUARD ORGANIZATIONAL MAINTENANCE SHOP 10

Nomenclature: TRUCK UTILITY 3/4TON

Model:M1009

NSN:2320011232665

Serial Number:J3GF183246

Registration Number:NF0KV7

Year of Mfg:1986

Manufacturer:93219

Contract Number:DAAE07-82-C-4060

INFO FROM NOV 1992

Who knows what the real story with all these trucks? Thanks though.

@cjcottrill ~ Thx will do

@donalloy1 ~ Thx, which BB is that in your avatar? Iowa?

topgun217

Wasn't trying to make anyone mad or anything (you or carnac). I know that particular unit was moved to Tiffin, Oh. and also Camp Perry due to shrinking budgets or something to that effect.

If you go up to Woodward again PM me and I'll take my 52 Belair and M1009. It really sounded like you had a good time. We' have talked about going but never made it there.

I also like the plans you have for your truck, they are similar to my son's. Well on second thought if he sees your truck with all the new stuff, that cost me $$$ haha. I just gave two antenna mnts to my neighbor who ownes the other m1009 in town or else I would have met you half way and gave them to you.

Keep us post on your truck with photos so we can see......

SpecWarSquid

@ TopGun217 ~ No sweat brother. No one mad over here. I figure every kind of records are subject to inaccuracies. I did see that Camp Perry had a Organization Maintenence Shop #10 and considering the proxixty to Clyde that it might be the same unit.

What type of unit is a Organizational Maintenence Shop? Is that like a motor pool?

Wasn't trying to make anyone mad or anything (you or carnac). I know that particular unit was moved to Tiffin, Oh. and also Camp Perry due to shrinking budgets or something to that effect.

If you go up to Woodward again PM me and I'll take my 52 Belair and M1009. It really sounded like you had a good time. We' have talked about going but never made it there.

I also like the plans you have for your truck, they are similar to my son's. Well on second thought if he sees your truck with all the new stuff, that cost me $$$ haha. I just gave two antenna mnts to my neighbor who ownes the other m1009 in town or else I would have met you half way and gave them to you.

Keep us post on your truck with photos so we can see......

topgun217

Well I remember they always had a front end loader, a grader, and a duece or two sitting around. Their bldg. is now the county EMS station and a food pantry. From what I remember, they just used to bring the large equipment there to get it worked on, nothing really sat there too long and there were only 3 or 4 guys that worked there. I actually have a friend whos cousin works at Camp Perryin the maint. shop I'll ask him and see what he knows.

DJones

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks everybody for the compliments. Wish I could take credit but A3superduece did all the work as far mechanical, body and paint. Pretty talented guy with a welder and is currently building/finishing a COMBATT truck. My 09 is not perfect and has some spots that'll need attention but for right now I'm just enjoying her.

@Mainsail ~ Yeah with more than a few little ones under foot those sliding windows are a life saver.

@CPAPPY ~ You know what I didn't keep track other than fuel level on arrival. But guesstimating based on gas guage, miles traveled I'd say somewhere around 16 mpg. On the way back from Detroit (drove straight back no detours) according to my "calibratied" fuel gauge LOL I used just over half a tank. Not bad for a starting point to try and improve MPG. I was happy with it. Our 68 GTO that we normally take does the trip in a full tank and them some.

As far as the story of the Truck goes. A3SD got it out of GL auction down at Red Stone Arsenal in 2009. Before that CARNAC reported that at one time it was a Ohio National Guard truck up in Clyde, Ohio back in the early to mid 90's. Who know's where she's been since then considering she was discharged from service in AL. I like to think she's come home.

I've got plans for her and only time will tell how they'll actually evolve. But everything will be done with "Functionality" in mind. Definatley lift, possibly some better axles that I have (3/4 8 lug, 10 bolt & 14 bolt FF w/ 3.73s). Combined with 36" tires spaced out on Humvee Rims. This combo of gear ratio & tire size should keep my RPMs pretty equivlant to the 3.08/31 set up that is on here. The biggie in the future will be looking into upgrading the transmisson. I guess my vision for this truck is to set it up as "Long Range Tactical Scout". So extended range and mild to moderate offroad capability will be key points (not a rock crawler). As well as being outfitted for long term field deployment (A la Expedition Rigs). When it comes to the engine. I do like the GM 6.2s. I like Cummins and all the others too but it just doesn't seem like a CUCKVEE without the 6.2. But I do realize their limitations. That being said I would like to see what can be done to improve the giddy-up, within reason.

My background for the last 5 years of my active duty career was in tactical communications. I really enjoyed COMMS so it only seems natural to want to track down some antenna mounts and outfit this rig with some whips. If anyone has line on some mounts they don't need, drop me a line. I haven't been able to find any lately.

Anyways lots to think about. I plan to heavily rely of this community for support and knowledge. Any specific updates on the truck I'll do in this thread. Thanks again guys for the comments.
I was reading thru your thread and wasn't sure if you would be interested in this radio rack for free. I just purchased my m1009 and it is mounted in mine but I really don't have a use for it.

Thanks
Dave

Attachments