• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M101A is in the shop at the moment

RjSteed

I took my M101A1 to trailer shop a few days ago... It still has all original parts minus the tires.

I am having them replace the axle hubs etc..

What I will have installed:
3500 lbs axle (same diameter)
Brackets for shocks removed from old and attached to new
5 on 5 hubs to match tow vehicle
Electric Brakes
Break Away system with back up battery

I have 15" wheels with 31" BF Goodrich AT's to put on to it... Hoping this looks sharp when completed.

RjSteed

Sounds like a good plan. Curious what the total $ for the work is. If you dont mind sharing.

Are you having any work done to the tongue/coupler?
Out the door it will be $580...

They call it custom axle, so starts off at 350... But, I'll go with it...

Of course Ill post pics when its done. Unfortunately that will be about three weeks from now.

Im thinking about having them re do wireing and lights on it as well... I saw here where someone did oval tail lights in the rear bumper... Was thinking that might be a way to go... Or perhaps add them in same mounting point, just to keep them from being so bright... Not sure... I would like to figure out a way to keep blackout capability with civi lights... Not to mention add button in truck to give it that capability.

Future thoughts would be to add coupler mount to rear so I can add bike rack to rear of trailer. Primarily this is a camping trailer.

RjSteed

Are you saving the old axle in case you upgrade to the Suburban tow rig that you made mention of in the past?
Actually, I have a 1 Ton Frame in waiting... I'll just trade the box over to that one when the time comes. After I finish this trailer, Ill purchase 16" wheels and similar tires that will match the size of a Suburban.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I'm sure you could sell the brakes, bearings, wheel cyls to some dumb schmucks on a certain website we all know. It can't hurt to have spares! Remember, every part you remove is a stock part SOMEONE is looking for.

RjSteed

Two different types of axles between the M101A and the 1 ton I have in waiting. I would imagine the breaks and all are different as well... Talkin 1969 to 2000 something...

KaiserM109

Electric Brakes
Break Away system with back up battery ...
You're gonna like those brakes, or if things go well you will never have anything to compare them to.

I just bought an M101A2 with surge brakes and have set aside an M101A1 with 5-on-5 1/2 Ford hubs until I can put brakes on it. It gave me a white-knuckle ride down a mountain a year ago.

I was pulling it with a '69 Ford Bronco which has a short wheelbase. It jerked the back of the Bronco all over the road. It's the buggy behind the deuce in my avatar.

KaiserM109

I'm sure you could sell the brakes, bearings, wheel cyls to some dumb schmucks on a certain website we all know. It can't hurt to have spares! Remember, every part you remove is a stock part SOMEONE is looking for.
I'll give away brake shoes and backing plates off of a 1968 M101A1, if you'll come pick them up.

RjSteed

I have to say, so far I have been very pleased with my trailer... I got lucky in that it came with the fiberglass racks and steel bows. The only thing I had to locate was the tarp, and I made out pretty well on that as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks