• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M101a2 build

munster

Just thought after viewing everyone's build I would post my completed build. Here are a few pictures showing the start and final pictures. I have over 100 build pictures. If your looking for any parts off the trailer let me know. I just want to get them out of my garage. I used bedliner on the frame, tub inside, outside and bottom. I put four layers of bedliner, five layers paint and four layers of clear enamel. I sanded ever part of the trailer with a Dewalt 4.5 grinder. (May it rest in peace.. Killed it on the frame after using it on the tub.) I followed different members build to get different build ideas. Thanks you to Harley and Pikemans for posting so many great ideas. I'm still working on getting the right axle, tire and rims.

IMAG1.jpgIMAG6.jpgIMAG7.jpgIMAG13.jpgIMAG17.jpgIMAG22.jpgIMAG23.jpgIMAG27.jpgIMAG26.jpgIMAG24.jpg

harleyhouse

Very Nice work!
Like the Channel hitch and coiled safety cables.
The trailers are so useful hauling dirt, Expo camping and Parade floats.

What are your future plans? Utility or camping?
Great job!

DAP

Nice build! It seems like you reused everything on the trailer. What kind of parts off the trailer do you have that are left over? Send me an email off line. I am looking for loops and surge hitch mechanism stuff but depends on what you are trying to get rid of. Shipping to NC may be the killer.

munster

Nick, Thank you. Believe me when I say its a pain in the rear, but I really like how it turned out. I got the ball hitch from Harley's build on here. It sure is much lighter on the tongue now. I can move it around with my Grizzly 660 ATV in it with no problem by hand.

munster

Harley, Thank you. I took your hitch and cable idea and had to add them to my trailer. I wanted to use a retractable cable like they have on some boat trailers but could not find them anywhere.

My next step is to install LED running lights on each side to match the LED running lights on my truck. Then I'm going to replace the axle so I can use the same size tires under the trailer as I do on my truck. This way I'm not carrying two different spare tires with me hunting or Ice fishing. The trailer is build like a tank but it's really easy to do all the work by yourself. . I did show a friend who welded the front channel on the trailer this axle being used on trailers in Australia. This would make for a great off-road system.

Let me know what you think of that idea.

Attachments

munster

Thank you DAP. I tried to use everything but really only ended up using the 8 frame metal attachment plates and the pull rings. I replaced all the bolts and nuts with Grade 8 to make sure everything would hold together. I know over kill but I like to over kill when it comes to something being pulled at 70 mph down a road.

As for the parts.. I have soaked all the parts in Evapo-rust so they are rust free now (if they fit in my bucket or painters pan). If I did not plan on using them I coated them in WD-40 so they would not rust again. If your referring to the loops that hold the safety chains in place on the original trailer I still have them freshly primed black ready to use.

The parts left over to make this easier for everyone else to know what I have as the lights, wire harness, wire connector plate with cover, front, back and side rails. I also have the tan cover that I washed with bleach to remove the stains as much as I could and mildew that was inside. It's cleaner than most of the ones I see being used. I'll threw away the old bolts and screws from the frame that are in the box.

harleyhouse

I like the looks of the independent suspension, but it is just too easy to just get a new axle
with the correct hubs and bolt it in. I lucked out with my M101A2 in that it was a 8 bolt GM pattern
Like my 2500hd.

Attachments

munster

I have been looking at just going with new rims. I have seen tires on GML that are 37 x 12.5 on 16.5 hummer rims. They have the same bolt pattern but not sure if the rims would work. I have enough room under the trailer with my Grizzly 660 loaded in it for 37" tires. Have you heard of anyone using them on this trailer?

munster

Update date on parts.. The cover has been taken already. I'm not selling the parts. If you can pick them up you can have them. If you cannot pick them up I'll ship them to you if you pay for the shipping. I'm not looking to make anything off them. I just want them out of my garage.

The only thing I'm keeping are the bow's that connect to the sides. I'm going to make them a little longer on the sides to fit over the ATV. They will be used as my Kayak rack until I have someone build by cross bars.

I'll lay the parts out this morning and take a picture of them. If you want them let me know. The first person to ask for them gets it. I'll check with DAP to see if he still needs the surge parts.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

munster

All the parts have been taken. I'm happy to say I have everything out of my garage now. The only parts I have left that I will not ship are the trailer side panels and pins. They are to big to ship so if your in the MN area and want them let me know. I will be replacing the axle and shocks this spring if you are looking for a axle or shocks.

I'll keep everyone posted on other changes I make. I have already added four removable trailer bed bolts. I also put on four LED Mini Uni-lite that are 11/16 across. Amber in front, Red in the back on the bottom rail of the tub. They sure do make it easy to see at night from the side.

Happy New Years!

munster

Hi Larry, I tow mine at 65-70 with my ATV in the back all the time (Before the snow fell). The trailer frame is build like a tank. The rest is also over builded like most military items to with stand the abuse they receive. I changed the tires out to 285/75R16 LT tires. The 55 rating is mostly a military speed limit on the trailer. I register it in MN with a lifetime tag on the trailer so it's legal to tow anywhere I want to take it. Maybe one of the other members can share more information on the 55 speed rating.

LMT19

Thanks again.
I am new to this. I have won one M1102 trailer and have not towed it home yet. I need to do a few things else, for example, convert lights so it can be used in my SUV (Lexus G470). Also need to convert to a hatch... But I found hatch in my SUV is a little lower. Any suggestion to obtain a hatch for this purpose? Larry

DAP

I got some of munsters trailer parts but I am still missing the part that the two legs of the A frame bolt to and the surge hitch bolts on top of. Does anyone have one kicking around or know of a trailer dealer (I looked on line at Crofts but couldn't find anything). see the picture with the part circled on this linked forum. http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=215283

munster

Thanks again.
I am new to this. I have won one M1102 trailer and have not towed it home yet. I need to do a few things else, for example, convert lights so it can be used in my SUV (Lexus G470). Also need to convert to a hatch... But I found hatch in my SUV is a little lower. Any suggestion to obtain a hatch for this purpose? Larry
Welcome to the site Larry. I did the same thing last year around this time. I started searching the forum to get different ideas. A few members had made different changes to the hitch. I started looking into several different ones. I went with this system because it was easy and I could raise or lower the hitch to level it out. There is one more larger channel that allowed for two more adjustments. You could also get the 12 position pintle hook mount that would raise the front of the trailer until you decide to change the hitch. Google that name to find them. Mount it upside down to raise it.

As for the lights. I used the cheap four plug lights from harbor and zip tided them to the back of the trailer. This way I did not spend much time at the site working on the trailer. You will also need a way to connect the safety chain to your truck. I used two clevis hooks on the chains to get around the military hook.

Good luck with your build. As you might have seen on the forum you do not want to sand the paint with out protection. If you can rent or have someone sand blast the trailer it would be faster. My trailer have 15 layers on it.

Bob

DAP

FYI - munster gave me a good lead on the part I needed from TJ Murray. Thank you for everybodies help on this forum.