• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M101A2 restoration thread.... pics

jimmy-90

My M101A2 Build Thread.... pics

I finally got my M101A2 apart and got the frame into my garage to start really working on it. So far I've cleaned the frame, sanded and sandblasted the rough spots, cleaned it some more, and finally painted it. I chose to use rust bullet silver and black. That stuff is not very easy to work with but it is a very strong sealer and dries extremely hard like epoyy or something. I also used duplicolor gloss black acrylic for the final topcoat since it lays very flat and erases most of the unwanted brush marks that rust bullet always seems to leave behind. Well I think this should take care of the frame. Next I will start on the body when I can get a break in the rain out here. Im going to paint it silver and the wood side rails black. Here are some pics of my progress so far. I'll keep this thread updated.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Ressoldier

Looking good so far. More of a rebuild then restoration. Personally I don't mind since that is what I plan on doing with mine. Just from reading some of the other threads on here others may make a bigger issue of it being called a restoration since you are not returning to original factory as delivered status.

Please keep adding pictures as it will help me when I go to start my M101 build.

mrfishaholic

great looking trailer, I was admiring your work, and went out to start working on mine. Realized I broke the handle on my parking brake. Do you know where there is a good place to get a parking brake at a reasonable price?

jimmy-90

Thanks for all the good feedback everyone and I will indeed keep posting pics as I make progress. Ressoldier that is a good point about this project being more of a build-up than an actual restoration. I tried to change the title to "My M101A2 Build Thread.... Pics" but the site wouldn't let me. mrfishaholic here is a link to a site that sells hand brake handles for MV's Parking Brake Hand Lever, 2.5 and 5 Ton Trucks, 8365663 You may be able to find them cheaper on Ebay or in the classifieds of this site ect. and also good luck with your project.

jimmy-90

I've been working on the trailer some more. Finally done with the body paint. It is silver rust bullet buffed out with 00 steel woll. The bed sides were sanded and rattle canned black along with the tail lights. The tail lights were also painted gloss white on the insides. All thats left to do is to splice a flat four connecter into the back of the 12 pin military plug that I took off the original rear bumper from my M1028.

Attachments

jimmy-90

Finally finished wireing a flat four pig tail into the original 12 pin plug that came with my M1028. I now have my truck set up to tow my military trailer along with my fathers Haul mark civi trailer. I also wired a tag light into the wireing harness on the mil trailer. I've looked at ALOT of these types of trailers on this site and can't recall seeing another M101 type trailer with a tag light. Out here in VA. they are required. I was wondering if most other states don't require them? That thing was a pain to mount in a way to where the tail gate doesn't hit it when I open it.

Attachments