• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M101A3 & I got a question?

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the A3 version came out in the mid-80s to be used with the new HMMWVs. The key clue is that they were fitted with the matching HMMWV tires.

shawnshumvee

the A3 version came out in the mid-80s to be used with the new HMMWVs. The key clue is that they were fitted with the matching HMMWV tires.
Thanks Trailboss. I kinda thought it was the humvee. So apparently M1101 is the A3 replacement? And I added the Humvee wheels it had some smaller wheels which i thought made the trailer look a bit wimpy.

86m1028

Nice trailer !
Did you add a rubber brake hose where the trailer pivots ?
You are aware that it's not designed to "dump" ?

shawnshumvee

Nice trailer !
Did you add a rubber brake hose where the trailer pivots ?
You are aware that it's not designed to "dump" ?
Yeah i added a rubber brake hose for it to dump and that's before I found out it wasn't designed to dump, but that design was for storage purpose. But i figured once or twice couldn't hurt? but by know means will I make a habit of it.
But that raises another question? I read the TM and i can't seem to find that info anywhere?

86m1028

Yeah i added a rubber brake hose for it to dump and that's before I found out it wasn't designed to dump, but that design was for storage purpose. But i figured once or twice couldn't hurt? but by know means will I make a habit of it.
But that raises another question? I read the TM and i can't seem to find that info anywhere?
Check here in the trailer section.... someone had posted the info
( shows them loaded on a train car, I believe).
Im still learning the TM's :)
Lots & Lots of great info on here.
I would almost venture to say if you can't find it on here, you don't need it !!!

If you do use it to dump, make sure you loosen the pivot bolts, if not you can easily break those brackets.

shawnshumvee

Check here in the trailer section.... someone had posted the info
( shows them loaded on a train car, I believe).
Im still learning the TM's :)
Lots & Lots of great info on here.
I would almost venture to say if you can't find it on here, you don't need it !!!

If you do use it to dump, make sure you loosen the pivot bolts, if not you can easily break those brackets.
Yes that is correct and they are loose., but i really don't want to dump with it. I mean i was told by a guy in the Military (Ft McCoy) that it wasn't for dumping so i figured, he has to know what he's talking about? But I just can't find that fact anywhere in TM. No where does it state that the pivot action on this trailer is not for dumping. know what i mean? The "proof is in the pudding", kinda thing. On the other hand, I guess if it was designed for dumping then the TM would cover that.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You should be fine using it to dump as long as you have put in the rubber brake line AND put a limiting strap from the tounge to the bed. What happens is the bed gets "hind end" heavy and that snaps the pivot casting. As long as you know it wasn't meant to dump and are cautious, you'll be fine.

McGuyver

I don't know about the later variants, but on my A1, the axis of the bolted joints that are being used to pivot are not aligned, and if you try to use them that way, you risk bending the casting and breaking it...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

shawnshumvee

You should be fine using it to dump as long as you have put in the rubber brake line AND put a limiting strap from the tounge to the bed. What happens is the bed gets "hind end" heavy and that snaps the pivot casting. As long as you know it wasn't meant to dump and are cautious, you'll be fine.
Yeah, i have dumped with it already (fire wood) and it went smooth! I mean it was perfect kinda felt like it was design to do just that. but i decide that I will make it dump when I'm feeling lazy or tired, but other than that i won't that way i should be safe and i won't never abuse it.

shawnshumvee

I don't know about the later variants, but on my A1, the axis of the bolted joints that are being used to pivot are not aligned, and if you try to use them that way, you risk bending the casting and breaking it...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I know the trailers aren't to different . The A3 has a 4'' frame whereas the A1 and A2 have 3" frames. The axel on the A3 is off set and has 6 springs whereas the others only have 5 springs and their axel is straight. Moreover, the A3 also came with run flats.

John Galt

Beds are also different with the A3 having the gussets inside and outside. The A2s I have seen are smooth on inside walls. A2 frames also lack the corner gussets on the frame.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You'll be fine dumping with it, until you break that casting.
Then you will have to buy another trailer or find someone who is parting out one as the part is not available.

The equipment transport TM shows the trailers pivot for loading space only.
They can load more on a train car.

They never were, and still aren't, designed to dump.
They don't even do that very well as it's not a clean dump.

Do a search and you will read about guys breaking that part, and others, and then they are SOL.

Surplus 101A2's and 3's are getting very scarce.
Parts are much worse.

shawnshumvee

You'll be fine dumping with it, until you break that casting.
Then you will have to buy another trailer or find someone who is parting out one as the part is not available.

The equipment transport TM shows the trailers pivot for loading space only.
They can load more on a train car.

They never were, and still aren't, designed to dump.
They don't even do that very well as it's not a clean dump.

Do a search and you will read about guys breaking that part, and others, and then they are SOL.

Surplus 101A2's and 3's are getting very scarce.
Parts are much worse.
I'm not going to let it get to that point. But i thought the trailer dump pretty good. logs at least.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Famous last words.

A lot of guys dump with theirs. Most haven't had issues yet.
Quite a few have screwed up brake lines and tail lights.
Too many have busted the unobtainable casting already mentioned.
At least you do know it's not designed/intended for dumping.

I think the M101A2-3 is the best overall trailer the military ever used.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks