• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M101A3

First off I would like to say thanks to Maddawg for going and picking up this trailer from Portsmouth. It pulled pretty good all the way from his place in VA all the way to WV. The only problem it had was a couple issues with it hopping if I had to stop suddenly. It came with the top and bows and even had an extra back gate buried under the top. The biggest issue with it is the fact that there is significant weather checking on one of the tires so I'm going to either have to find another humvee tire or convert both of them over to Cucv rims and readily available civilian tires. Also, Does anyone know where to find a stamped serial number on the trailer other than on the data plates since they are unreadable?

Attachments

gungearz

Yep, the data tag is all you get. If your not using the trailer much. You can check out a web site called treadwright.com for some inexpensive new offroad tires. Ive been running those on my jeeps for years. Never had any issues.... Nice trailer by the way.

Thanks guys. Does anyone know a good source for the data plates for the 101a3s? I can find the ones for the A1s and the A2s but not the A3s. Also has anyone dealt with trailworthyfab.com? They've got the 37 in humvee tires for 99 apiece and I was curious if anyone knew anything about them. I also got the cover on it and noticed some pinholes and one rip right in the very front of the trailer at the very edge right at the rail on the trailer so I guess it's OD duct tape for now and I'll try to find a patch kit somewhere.

Nonotagain

The treadright tires unless they tell you are military take-offs are re-capped tires.

I went to their website and found that they direct you to trailworthyfab site for sales of the 37/12.5x16.5 tires.

Contact PTRACEY for tires since he's somewhat in the business.

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The hopping or jerking around on stops is symptomatic of the horizontal hydraulic shock in the surge brake assembly going bad. It is available at croft trailer supplies among others. Search ss as there many threads on the subject and a common item to give trouble on the m101a2/3.

Not bad to replace. I would recommend disassemble then order parts as there are 8 nylon bushings on the 4 flat bars with the through bolts that can wear. Croft has all the parts for the baldwin/toledo surge assembly.

Others have suggested using clear silicone for the pin holes. I used 100mph military duct tape on the inside. It is available from Coleman's surplus among other surplus dealers.

Nice score!

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
I too have an A3 and love it. I also had to change the shock in the surge brake assembly. I delt with etrailer.com ,, very good people to work with. I personally would leave the tires and get a spare. It just looks better with the fenders further out than an A2.. good luck ..nice looking trailer.

Yeah Mike is a good fellow

The whole tire is like that. It's pretty far gone, I honestly wouldn't worry to much about it if I was just pulling it for firewood and it never went above 5 or 10mph but for anything that's going onto the road it definitely needs replaced. The trick is finding the tire for a reasonable price which I have done and then getting it here without the shipping doubling or tripling the price of the tire.