• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M105A

Robert Long

So earlier this year I picked up an M105A from GL off of Dobbins AFB in GA.

I'm north of ATL in Woodstock GA, the recovery was simple, I snagged appropriate towing adapter for the lunet ring from Nothern Tool (don't like them for power tools, but for everything else go for it).

I checked her over and then pulled her home behind my '07 Chevy Avalanche. The truck has the factory towing rigg for 7900lbs or so, which meant it pulled fine. Didn't quite have lights or anything, so just kept it to daytime driving w/ all the paperwork in the seat next to me.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Sounds like it went well. For the future, you can get magnetic tow lights for $20 at Horrible Freight. I would worry some idiot texting would run into me/you without them.

Robert Long

The first pull was a bit entertaining, as she was tilted into the wind at a nice angle, the factory towing rig on the AV on my model is under the bumper, not in it like the current one, so it was a bit low.

I flipped the ring and got a taller adapter plate so she's pretty level these days:

Attachments

Robert Long

I think was surprised us were the features on this thing. The removable front and rear support panels, the way the trailer has the side clips to clamp them into so they stay safe and out of the way, and how much epic room was inside of this beast!

Attachments

Robert Long

I think she's actually too big, I wish I had one just like her but 1/2 the size. I need to find some collector up here who wants to trade or something, this has to be built for a 2.5ton or something.

It is fun to pull up somewhere w/ it, you get a lot of looks :)

Robert Long

yeah this was an "accident" on GL one day honestly :) I still need to figure out what I should do to have it DOT legal ... I mean technically it "has" brakes... they just aren't operated by my truck when I step on my brakes :)

I didn't realize how monumental they are. It's great for taking my college guys camping, but now I got all of them over the hump and into real backpacking, so I have been taking them to much more interesting places.

I'm an old Eagle Scout, and God has allowed me to share part of my life the last few years w/ a group of young men who range from 15 - 25, and taking them out into the woods is a good distraction from all the stuff they get into where they have electricity and girl friends, and access to all sorts of fun :)

This poor thing is sitting in my yard waiting on me to figure out if I should start modding it, or put it up on craigslist, or find someone to trade for a smaller one...

It's the only trailer I have, and I really like that I can take it offroad... so if I got rid of it, whatever replaced it would have to go wherever my truck can go for the most part.

How are the M101's that way? I see some pictures they look a little more manageable. Do they have tops like mine does?

Flyingvan911

Sounds like an M101 is what you need. They do sell for more but you could sell the 105 and put the money toward a 101. The 105 does look awesome behind your truck. Heck, it's almost as big as your truck.

Darwin T

watch for an M101a3 on GL. the a3's are wider than the a2's and they all can have the cover. it may not have one at GL but they are all made to have them.

Flyingvan911

I got mine for $1,900. They sound awesome. They are easy to work on. They go almost anywhere. Your frinds will love it. You're getting very tempted...veeery tempted. :drool: :driver:

Robert Long

The funny thing is I've had a hankering for one of the K5's (M1009?) for a long time, but wish it had more seating. I'd love to have one for taking into the woods and disposing of my old engine oil :)

SteveKuhn

"... like I have room for THAT in my driveway..."

Sure you do. See below for how to stuff a driveway.

This thread sounds eerily familiar. Last summer I read all the 105 v. 101 advice on the site, and ended up buying a 101 for my Econoline. Actually I ended up with BOTH an A2 and an A3 through a bunch of convoluted dealing.

THEN I ended up buying the Deuce from the guy who was selling the 105 and just recently traded him the A2 for the 105 I looked at in the 1st place.

So sell the 105 to buy a 101 so it fits your civvy truck so that you can then get a Deuce and get another 105. Happens all the time.

Attachments