• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M109A3 Camper Build Thread

cgtboy1988

Hi all,
I just picked up a M109A3 (sprag, I think LDT engine) a few months ago and have been reading a lot of threads getting ready to do some serious modification with the end goal of building a camper. Currently, my deuce has got air steering, but other than that is basically stock, and I will get some pics up soon. I have a Reddot AC unit ready to install (still figuring out how exactly I want to mount) and a huge roll of kevlar (just sitting around) that I may insulate the bed with. Also have a Ford 6.0 intercooler I am planning to add to the multifuel and spare Spicer transmission for testing/modification. Power thus far is more than adequate for my needs, but I would like to do some mechanical mods to up gear ratios (hopefully to cruise between 60-65 on wide open Arizona highways), increase reliability and longevity, and maximize fuel economy and range. Usage will mostly be on highways to meet up for events and occasional offroading trips all over Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah, and California's high Sierra (Lassen and surrounding forests mostly, maybe the Rubicon occasionally if I can get the truck to fit). Most likely will occasionally encounter monsoon mud, snow and ice, desert summer heat, and sand (basically all sorts of different bad conditions). At this point, I would really like to keep the multifuel due to its robustness regarding fuel and conditions like cold. I am not sure, but it appears that the multifuel also tends to be fairly efficient compared to other engines (with its high compression ratio)? Looking for any experience on MPG on repowers compared to multifuel if someone can chime in on that point. Maybe will tow at some point, but no current need except for relatively lightweight toys. I am still determining all of the mods I plan on doing, feel free to chime in with any suggestions or feedback!

Finished modifications:
Air assist steering
Kill switch in lock box
Air ride seats

Planned repairs:
Air pressure regulator needs adjustment and/or replacement
Fuel sending or fuel gauge needs fix and/or replacement
Oil gauge needs fix

Planned camper modifications:
Redo bed insulation and waterproofing
Rubber bed flooring (waterproof recycled rubber over treated wood)
200-300 gallon water tank
Water pressure pump
Water heater
Plumbing (as space allows)
Reverse osmosis drinking water filtration
Dual 12v battery banks
Inverter(s)
LED light replacements
Solar on roof
Wood burning stove
Cabinets/lockers
Extend box over cab
Cab/bed access
Roof/bed access
HAM radio
Electric air compressor
Lift gate or ramp of some sort

Planned driving modifications:
Cab and dash lighting
Cab headset system (looking to go for something like a helicopter system to run audio and passenger voice through)
CB radio
12v outlets
Intercooler
EGT gauge
Boost gauge
Maybe timing work (I have heard that timing on these may not be up to snuff?)
Maybe engine balance work
Replace head gasket with a stronger one
Reddot AC
Insulate cab
LED lights all around (including headlights if possible)
Fuel adjustment
Auto drain air valves
Transmission replacement or gearing adjustment
Taller wheels/tires (still deciding on what to do for these)
Extra alternator(s)
WMO (and maybe WVO eventually) filtration setup
Dual fuel tank (Diesel and WMO tanks)
Brake modifications? (drill drums, dual circuit modification)
Winch (still deciding, hydraulic? direct? don't think electric)
Injection (possibly water, propane, water/meth, most likely water/meth in low concentrations)
Offroad and camp lighting
Security cameras (and onboard computer) for backing up and security both
Oil system mods? (LDS style oil system, non-return oil filters, maybe even one of those oil centrifuges, etc)
Possibly switch to air shift t-case
Square hitch
Maybe suspension adjustment/modification
Mid axle lockout hub (maybe front as well if air shift swap)

I know this is quite an extensive list, but I will update with pics here whenever I get time to knock any of these out.

Last edited:

59apache

Chipmaker
Wow. Thats much. I would suggest:
Keep it as light as possible. Do you really need 300 gallons water?
With all your modifications you will reach the weight limit very soon.
2nd point is, it will become s lead-duck....no fun to drive.

Greets Juergen

Last edited:

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
300 gallons of water x 8 pounds per gallon = 2400 pounds of water. That does not leave a lot for everything else, since you only have 5000 pounds of cargo/modification equipment as your off-road limit. I realize that strikes out a flush toilet and long hot showers, but something's got to give.

cgtboy1988

Interesting points on the weight. I figured I would go with a 200-300 gal tank because the external cage tanks of that size are cheap and plentiful in this part of the world and make a decent table with a sheet of plywood on top. I could always use one of those and just not fill it all the way, the water supply is more for dealing with any potential mechanical issues (either with the deuce or with other vehicles) and survival if need be out in the middle of the Sonoran or Mojave than for luxuries. Most other places have water to be found if necessary. Other option is to just tow a water trailer when the need for water arises. Far as weight goes though, I also wonder about kevlar insulation on the box. While I have a ton of it sitting around that I could use and bulletproof is kinda cool, the stuff is heavy and maybe I ought to just go with regular insulation... Other major sources of weight I think would be the AC (200ish lb), batteries (maybe 200-300 lb), the box itself (dunno on weight, 2000 lb?), and extra fuel tank (300-400 lb?), and winch. It does indeed add up. Any ideas what the limiting factors on capacity are that I should look out for? Engine power? Tires? Frame?

dmetalmiki

We have 75 gallons of water, its neat (not too room consuming) and sufficient for a weeks drinking washing and showering with care. Ok a 2500 watt inverter. 4 batteries. 2500 watt generator. storage on the roof. few other bits and bobs. This is on the M54a2 chassis. 1600 tires. runs and performs great. Driven sensibly (usually in convoy) I have returned as much as 15 M.P.G.

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting points on the weight. I figured I would go with a 200-300 gal tank because the external cage tanks of that size are cheap and plentiful in this part of the world and make a decent table with a sheet of plywood on top. I could always use one of those and just not fill it all the way, the water supply is more for dealing with any potential mechanical issues (either with the deuce or with other vehicles) and survival if need be out in the middle of the Sonoran or Mojave than for luxuries. Most other places have water to be found if necessary. Other option is to just tow a water trailer when the need for water arises. Far as weight goes though, I also wonder about kevlar insulation on the box. While I have a ton of it sitting around that I could use and bulletproof is kinda cool, the stuff is heavy and maybe I ought to just go with regular insulation... Other major sources of weight I think would be the AC (200ish lb), batteries (maybe 200-300 lb), the box itself (dunno on weight, 2000 lb?), and extra fuel tank (300-400 lb?), and winch. It does indeed add up. Any ideas what the limiting factors on capacity are that I should look out for? Engine power? Tires? Frame?
Braking capacity is my thoughts on having too much weight. And a dual circuit conversion doesn't add any capacity, just redundancy. I like many of your idea's though, have similar plans for my 109.

cgtboy1988

Braking capacity is my thoughts on having too much weight. And a dual circuit conversion doesn't add any capacity, just redundancy. I like many of your idea's though, have similar plans for my 109.
I have thought a lot on brakes. Regardless of what I am carrying in the back, I would like to improve braking performance as much as is feasible. Vehicle safety is a top priority and seems that brakes would be the most important bit for that. I have read a lot on disk brake conversions. Does this actually increase brake performance? And what about maybe integrating two separate air brake boosters? One for the front, one for the rear would be my thinking. Would it be worth looking into a full air brake system- something off of a 5 ton maybe? Or add a vacuum pump and try using vacuum assist? Just a few thoughts, clearly still sorting through info on that subject.

61sleepercab

The Deuce is a either or design truck. It was designed to haul goods in convoy at 40/45 mph . Now people pay no attention to speed limits and 70 mph designed Interstates are running traffic 80!!! You can count on the 6x6 design to slog along without spitting parts out left and right. Modern Trucks one ton or less are not really made for real hauling. A local Ford one ton camper tower cannot keep front wheel bearings in the truck and it is so bad he now keeps spares in the truck. You have to know your trucks inherent limitations and do what is reasonable to improve performance and utility.
Disk brakes are easier to service and have more stopping power with greater friction area and drum size. But a modern truck with disks and lockers on the axles and power divider will take you a long way without a powered front axle. But then it is not a Deuce.
I plan to have a M109 half breed camper and part hauler. I am 55 and the GI boarding ladder is a disaster waiting to happen so I was looking for a folding porch and better steps. Well someone suggested a Tommy Liftgate. What an idea. I have seen roof vents, solid foam insulation in the walls and modernized wiring and solar systems as good ideas. There seems to be a space between the van bed rails and the truck frame with battery storage in one thread. How about water tanks in floor area to increase capacity with low center of gravity.
I watched a M109 flex on a road a foot each way from center of the van body. Wtch what you put over cab to make sure there is room to off road without peeling off roof add ons. Take your time have fun and remember the KISS rule Keep It Simple Stupid!! Mark

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was also thinking about a jake or transmission brake of some sort for hills...
Nobody ever made a compression brake (Jake brake) for the multifuel engine so it's a no-go there. Don't know how you'd do a trans brake either without swapping the trans.

About the only thing you might could do is cobble up a exhaust brake but I've never seen one that worked very well at slowing the vehicle.

cgtboy1988

Quick update:
Been out of the state for a month (just got back), but I have been acquiring lots of parts and having em sent home. Recent acquisitions include:
Intercooler from a 6.0
35 gallon fuel tank from an old Chevy- should make a good secondary tank for holding WMO for where legal to burn it, debating whether to get something bigger or maybe even get a third tank to hold a total of 50 gallons WMO
Perforated galvanized sheet to build a hinged porch/ramp for the back- should be about as long as the box is tall and a little bit wider than the doors
Light winch for actuating the ramp/porch
2x 165 amp Neville 12v alternator with insulated poles for powering battery banks
10kw (running, not peak) split phase inverter (24v)
13kw (adjustable, hopefully to much lower wattage) water heater
Water pumps and expansion tanks
Cobra 29 CB
Berhinger mixer, Rolls headphone splitter/amp
Aircraft style headsets with mics
Audio sockets/misc for building appropriate adapters
Locking box for audio equipment, fuse box to go inside
EGT sensor
Boost gauge
Some sort of Hurst hydraulic equipment meant for Jaws of Life- bought this sight unseen through a friend, seller thought it was a hydraulic PTO pump, but he must have been confused; it appears to be a nice hydraulic reservoir and manifold though and may get some use for perhaps a hydraulic winch

I am back in Tucson now, so hopefully I can find some time to get to it! As a side note, any input on tires (somewhat dead subject, I know) would be appreciated. Right now, I am torn about whether to get taller dually tires or get new hubs and go for singles. In reality, most driving will be on the highway... I was thinking I would wait for tires on govliquidation in AZ, but there have been none up recently.

RodUSMC1962

I think the most important thing in regard to brakes is watch your speed. I see so many people drive with all gas or all brakes. Keep it reasonable and don`t crowd your stops., just my 2 cents worth. Enjoy your truck! :deadhorse:

99nouns

Interesting points on the weight. Far as weight goes though, I also wonder about kevlar insulation on the box. While I have a ton of it sitting around that I could use and bulletproof is kinda cool
Somebody is getting ready for some serious stuff. What you want is a hard work but :grd:

Last edited by a moderator:

cgtboy1988

Somebody is getting ready for some serious stuff. What you want is a hard work but :grd:
Haha too true. Only reason I was thinking to use kevlar is because I have a roll of literally 2000 lb of the stuff sitting in my garage. Don't ask where from :whistle:

Last edited by a moderator:

cgtboy1988

I think the most important thing in regard to brakes is watch your speed. I see so many people drive with all gas or all brakes. Keep it reasonable and don`t crowd your stops., just my 2 cents worth. Enjoy your truck! :deadhorse:
I think that's exactly the point. Rolling on a flat desert highway with few other vehicles, the deuce feels like it can do 65-70 mph (if it had the gearing to do so). If a javalina pops out of nowhere, well, its a deuce. Won't even dent the bumper. On the other hand, around town I don't get it going over 35 on a 45- just does not feel safe unless there is nobody else around (IE it is 2:00 am). It is an old military beast, it was built to go through enemy lines; they forgot to build the capability to stop afterwards.

cgtboy1988

So I have been looking for some bigger tires and wheels for the project. Noticed a bunch up on GovLiquidation in Herlong, CA that I may be able to get a friend living nearby to pick up for me. Here is a link:
http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=9035158&convertTo=USD
My only concern is that they are the HEMTT rims. Is anyone currently manufacturing adapter plates for these rims? It looks like several members have in the past, but I cannot seem to find anything recent in the search or in the classifieds. Also, it is my understanding that the adapter plates must be welded/attached to the actual wheel in some capacity- there is no bolt on solution plate for HEMTT wheels. Is that correct? Thanks in advance for replies.

red

Long list of engine mods, looking forward to the progress.

Experience from some of the other members here, water injection is great, the methanol in even low percentage will blow the engine (pre-detonation).

Check with Peashooter about wheel adapters. Not sure if he makes Hemtt plates, but he could probably point you in the right direction if he doesn't.

I see you are in Tucson - You should stop by Jack's Gov't Surplus, it is a gold mine of military equipment and Jack is a good guy with very reasonable prices. Literally acres of stuff!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks