• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M109a3 RV conversion

Funny Shoes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So july 2013 I fell in love with a m109a3 that was parked at my uncles house. I was offered a ride and replied only if I can drive. A month and half later I bought it in a complete impulse buy.

Orginally thought of just using it for hunting and the occasional cruise around town has now turned into a grand scale RV conversion.

Will keep you posted on the project as it progresses
image.jpg

Last edited:

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the madness :) The temptation, because the box is so big, is to put too much stuff in it. Keep us informed of your progress.

kwest

[thumbzup]Hey FS I also have an M109A3 and I love it! I bought a 35A3 and removed the bed and purchased a 109 box that had been turned into living quaters. I stil have some work to do on it ( water and install a 7000 watt Onan generator) But I don't think you will regret buying the Deuce.

Funny Shoes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Going to install a bunk In the forward section. Painted the front window black sealed the front windows on the drive and passenger side and then began installing plywood
image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
The steel that was used back in the 70's is unbelievable. Started trying to use self taping screws. After about the first dozen screws we decided to predrill the holes. We ended up going through about a half dozen bits before we found a good routine. The best way we found to drill was to use one bit per hole and allow it too cool and cycle through 3 bits at a time still managed to ruin 6-8 bits.

Attachments

Funny Shoes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All the work so far was done about a month ago. Finding time to work on her and keeping up with my oilfield job has proved to be taxing time wise. Trying to get as much done before the rally in march around Bryan, tx

thanks for the replys and please feel free to post any advise you may think would be useful

Funny Shoes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sent off a check to jatonka in New York for some adapters for the fuel and oil filters. This will allow me to use spin on filters. Will post pics of the stuff when it comes in.

Funny Shoes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I plan on putting a full size stand up shower in the driver side rear section of the box (3'X3'). I'm not however going to install a toilet as I hate the smell of black water in any RV.

Doing some research on fresh water tanks, I have found that plastic Mart has the best selection and price that I could find. They can install any type of standard RV connect fitting on the tank at any location. Perfect for my custom application

I plan on putting a 55 gallon tank under the bunk in the front and installing a 30 something gallon tank under the box between the frame rails that support the Box on the frame of the truck. The 30 gallon will catch my gray water from the shower and sink.

Funny Shoes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
[thumbzup]Hey FS I also have an M109A3 and I love it! I bought a 35A3 and removed the bed and purchased a 109 box that had been turned into living quaters. I stil have some work to do on it ( water and install a 7000 watt Onan generator) But I don't think you will regret buying the Deuce.
I saw one like that at a MV yard in liberty hill. Was an officer quarters. Had the shower and toilet along whit full cabinets. Fairly good condition. I think I may take an idea off it and install drop deck that folds up against the back of the box.

I'm in high supply of ideas but short supply of time....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks