• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M116A2 trailer

Xerofall

$599 bucks I found a great trailer in perfect shape. An M116A2, rear foot, all straps, accessory box, fire extinguisher holder, cover! I've attached a few pics, linked the rest. I know there are auctions for less, but this one was clean, virtually no rust and has great potential.

The tailgate opens even when hooked up!!!

I've already learned so much about it just by reading threads and posts from here.

Attachments

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice trailer for $599. The cover is in great shape, worth several hundred by itself.

harleyhouse

xerofall:

Nice find, I don't think $600 is a bad price. It looks to be very good shape.
Are you making an excursion or camping trailer or just a hauler?
It has the same roof line as your jeep. I have a M101A2 that I am making into a family camper. It was in great shape too!

Keep us posted on th build.

Nonotagain

Nice trailer, But.............. please hook up the safety chains with the break away chain/cable.

The Mil safety chains can be extended to get the correct length. It wouldn't be good so see you trailer passing you on a hill.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you know how to solder, you can make one yourself. It's a lot cheaper. I posted a thread on how to do it on here a while back.

Xerofall

I know I need to hook up the safety chains, I need to get them extended. I'm doing that today. The break away is hooked up, just hard to see in the pics. It came wired with a 7 plug already. It looks like it was done well, no cheap splicing with speaker connectors and electrical tape.

I plan on putting some railings along the perimeter, adding a cot like structure for me and the wife to use for camping. I'm planning on relocating the accessory box to the front like I've seen others do. Find a place for a jerry can or two.

I do have a question... What are the two windows below the main brake light, the manual says its for leds, but I've never seen a military version in action.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The upper is a blackout running light and the smaller lower one is blackout brake lights.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Correct. The civilian trailer harnesses aren't wired for these nor is the civy tow vehicle. I use mine for night time parking from time to time but other than that they only get used on night time trail rides at the GA Rally.

Ripcord01

They are faint lights nothing else.. When they are used in the field you can see them with the naked eye. Although if your driving a MV under these conditions you would want to have a pair of night vision goggles.

harleyhouse

I love my M101A2 It has been a fun project.
I bought mine off ebay in Ohio It was my Fathers day present.

I completed the rebuild today. I plan on adding a rack to hold a roof top tent
and a full black toneau cover. I added a 2" receiver on the back for a bike rack and a slide in counter for the field kitchen yet to be built.
I removed over 250 pounds by changing out the pintle and non working surge brakes. I run a 2" ball and a 2.5" lunnette. now.

The 8 lug hubs were perfect for my matching GMC 2500 HD wheels.
I won't have to carry a spare. I removed and drums, shoes, cables, handles, brake lines, and original lunette.

Blasted the frame and tub and painted everything.
I used a pair of GROTTE tail lights from a ford stake bed and wired them to a 7 pole trailer plug. I plan on wiring the back up lights too and have a seperate battery on the trailer for lights that will charge from the truck.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks great Harleyhouse. If the brake handles were functional would you want to sell them?

Xerofall

Got the safety chains extended. Ordered the lock pin for the surge brake. Found a few manuals online. Found out my FSA will allow me to purchase a nice M17 medic bag. Moving right along. Thanks guys.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks