• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M135 made the 2000 mile round trip

Superdave

As the title says my M135 made the round trip from Onoway Alberta to the MVPA meet in Portland and back again. I made the whole trip with no brakedowns of any kind. The only real part of the trip that seemed to take forever was going from Kamloops to Vancouver and back as driving through the mountains I was going up the hills at 15 miles an hour in second gear and some of the hills were up to 10 miles long. I averaged around 6 miles to the gallon even when I was delivering the 5 sets of HALF-TRACKS to some members in BC with a weight around 6000 LBS. I also returned with a lode of 25 tires and other parts for my projects.

Attachments

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
That is a fine truck and a real keeper. Thanks for posting the great photos and if you have more please keep them coming.

All the automatics I own have at least three gears so being in second does not mean it is a clutch burner. I am only guessing the truck never upshifted or downshifted to second to climb the grade.

I know towing the M127 with my convertor dolly and duece I got purty slow on hills but the milage on my multifuel five speed is better by at least 60% than what he got even towing that semi trailer.

Superdave

Thanks for the kind words. The truck still has the automatic, but would shift down into second gear on the long steep hills. The truck won in the motor pool class at the MVPA convention so that was my reward for the long trip.

BobM

Often the key to "good luck" is preparation! And your truck looks like you have definitely prepared it for this trip. I also liked the pics.

ETBaals

M135

Hi Dave
I saw your truck as you were unhooking the batteries inside the convention.
You have one outstanding vehicle, as clean as it was i would have guessed that it just came off a trailer, not a 1000 mile trip.
Outstanding sir, and a very fine truck!!!!!!

Ernie

hippiedude

Sweet truck man !! :D That must have bee a fun trip ...I wamt to do that with my m211 some time....Maybe not 2000 miles but you know a nice long road trip ......... Tim

Superdave

It was a great trip all and all and the truck performed great. I have never taken the truck on such a long trip before and had some conserns if it would make it there and back with out any mechinacal brake downs and if I would have to get a loan from the bank to pay for the fuel LOL. The best part was at the US border as the customs officer had a hard time believing that I drove the truck from Alberta to the crossing at Sumas in BC and was getting 6 MPG and did not have a bunch of spare gas cans in the back.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats is just awesome. Not only do I love seeing an old girl getting the miles on her, but toting parts too! You were blessed my friend.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks