• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M35A2 Kaiser

Lonewolf879

Greetings all. I recently purchased a 1971 kaiser jeep m35a2 from a college kid that had no clue as to what he had and i got it cheap. But i have noticed some issues that i would like to know more about.

1. Fuel leaks like crazy from the fuel filter on top of the can, i figure i need to replace the filter and seal.

2. Oil sprays all over during the drive home and ended up as it seems coming out the side of the stack and was splattering all over the side of the truck.

Is it normal for it to be this much oil all over underneath? And why is it coming out of the stack base? Fuel was also splattering out the side, and we noticed a few times on the drive home at a few fuel stations small pools of coolant developing on the ground then stopping after a bit. Our temp ran about 200 F during the drive home and oil pressure was stable. Any info would be appreciated.

Attachments

Flyingvan911

Welcome. Good work on getting the deuce. None of that should be too hard to fix. Download the deuce TM's and read them. Read through the deuce forum and use the search box. There is tons of information here.

Wash the truck and engine and see where the leaks are starting from. That will give you good information.

Lonewolf879

Welcome. Good work on getting the deuce. None of that should be too hard to fix. Download the deuce TM's and read them. Read through the deuce forum and use the search box. There is tons of information here.

Wash the truck and engine and see where the leaks are starting from. That will give you good information.
Thanks, have been printing some out now! :mrgreen:

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The TM's will give you torque specs for the filter cans. Experience shows me that you need to use that torque wrench. On mine the Fuel Density Compensator was bypassed, which is fine with me (another place for a leak - into the oil sump). My intake manifold heater leaked onto the turbo, smelled horrible, left a puddle and a chance for a fire. I don't need it for very cold starts, so I disconnected (again do a search on the duece forum and you will get good instructions). Be patient, these are great old trucks but many have not had the necessary maintenance and you may need to work through some issues before you can drive it dependably. One reminder........single circuit brakes! If you lose any component (wheel cylinder, line, hose, master cylinder, etc.) you will have a very big heavy rig with no brakes. Drive accordingly and do your PM checks.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
200 deg sounds a little high on the coolant temp. I have a hard time getting mine to 180 deg on a 90 deg day, with turned up fuel, and loaded heavy.

212sparky

My truck will get up to 200 on a run down the interstate but never goes over. I usually runs at 180 all day around town. If you are over 200 then I would start to worry. When you wash down the engine bay, run water from the engine side of the radiator. You will be supprised by what comes out of the thing.

joshs1ofakindxj

Oil in the exhaust?

Sounds like a leaking turbo seal, meaning the turbo needs replacement or rebuild. There are good rebuild instructions on here.

I could be wrong.

The leaking filter probably just needs changed and the seal replaced. Like said above, torque the filters properly and don't let the can turn on the seal.

It is kind of hard to see where oil is leaking to on your pictures, but there is normally some oil leaking from the slobber tube that comes down from the turbo to the front axle.

And watch what you say about college kids. Some of us edu-ma-cated young people know what's what!

Last edited:

caliber1

Like the above poster said, take one thing at a time. I had planned to do x,y,z...got overwhelmed and POed, finally a member here told me the same. LOTS of awesome info here. Congrats on the truck and welcome to SS.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Deuces tend to slobber oil like stuff out the exhaust if they are idled a lot and not run hard. It's normal.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks