• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M38A1

aaron92685

Got the motor tore apart. Already got the head at the machine shop Things are looking good. Today I pulled the transfer case and transmission out. They are going to get tore down and new seals and gaskets and anything else they need. I still need to pull the block out and load it into the truck and send it to the machine shop. I did find my problem.... The exhaust valve guides are shot. I could take the valve and move them side to side 1/4 of a inch. I think the book says the max clearance is .0045". Well here is some pics of the progress.

Attachments

aaron92685

It cooled down a bit here in Phoenix, so time to start to put the M38A1 back together. I just had a quick question. I had the machine shop install Hardened exhaust valve seats and valves. The new valves don't use rotors on them it is just the keepers and retainers. When I install the valve tappets do I need to install the rotor caps on the valves? I don't want to screw up the valve clearance. Any advise would be nice!

Thanks Aaron

OttawaValleyGuy

Canadian newbie here

Hi folks
I am a Canadian that lives in Barry's Bay, Ontario but I winter in Daytona Beach Fl. I have a 1966 M38A1Cdn. (build date March 1968)
It is original and a good driver.

I am leaving this Thursday for Daytona and will bring my old girl.

Hope to meet some of you and would love to attend some meets in that area.

I look forward to the forum.

Can anyone tell me how I find the download for the repair manual etc.

Thanks
Howard

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Can anyone tell me how I find the download for the repair manual etc.

Thanks
Howard

I've never seen the manuals online for free-I ended up buying the manuals on CD on ebay. It was pretty cheap and had most of the manuals for GPW, MB, M38 and M38A1.

Welcome to the site.

C

zout

Found all the TM's here on the specific forum - these are large files and I believe when I am done printing them I will have my own gapping hole somewhere in a forest.

Thanks for the member posting them all in one spot and would not have found them if I did not look and read - there is some awesome info posted for these specific units (like I found on 109 info when working on it).

Looking forward to some fun doing these and more fun reading what others are doing to theirs - pictures are a great help and info from other members discussing them.

Just gotta love SS site & memebrs.[thumbzup]

macibell111

I admire your enthusthiasm .i had am37 in about the same condition when i got it.told my wife the same thing (it just needs a few things honey ,no problem)2 years later and thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours later i have a well running ,good looking dodge m37 i can be proud of.just like what u are doing to your m38a1.good call on the wiring harness,i did not know anything about my M until i jumped into it with both feet,learned alot .but it also took alot out of me,i just sold the m37 ,i did well on it ,bought a m38a1 ,but a original complete Navy grey with a rebult engine,clutch brakes etc. a great driver,it came off the USS Coral sea.but there is no better feeling than tearing into a project like you have done ,congrates on your project ,that is most of the fun having one is working on it ,keep the pics coming.just remember figure out how much time and money you will have in it then double that and u might be close.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks